The Student Room Group

Have i got a postnom or not?!

Hey - I'm enrolled on a masters by distance learning and have just passed year 1. Because i enrolled for the whole Masters, and not the cert as a standalone qual, my query is whether I can use the postnom PgCert now, or am I a "nothing" until I've completed the whole masters?
Reply 1
Original post by SaoirseConnor
Hey - I'm enrolled on a masters by distance learning and have just passed year 1. Because i enrolled for the whole Masters, and not the cert as a standalone qual, my query is whether I can use the postnom PgCert now, or am I a "nothing" until I've completed the whole masters?

Provided you have undertaken the correct number of credits and your marks have been verified by the academic board, I see no reason why you can't, since, if you were to leave your programme at the current stage you would be awarded the certificate as opposed to the MSc.

You've got nothing until you've got the masters. You have to actually be 'awarded' something to use post nominals. Simply having done a certain number of credits is not relevant.

No you can't. You're a "nothing" until you're a "something".

Original post by Alan88
Provided you have undertaken the correct number of credits and your marks have been verified by the academic board, I see no reason why you can't, since, if you were to leave your programme at the current stage you would be awarded the certificate as opposed to the MSc.

The only reason they can't is that you're completely wrong. OP doesn't have a PgCert. And they would be lying if they claimed they did.
Reply 4
Original post by Duncan2012
No you can't. You're a "nothing" until you're a "something".

The only reason they can't is that you're completely wrong. OP doesn't have a PgCert. And they would be lying if they claimed they did.

They would have to wait until they received a certificate but if they have completed the eligible number of credits, that have been verified by the assessment board then of course they have achieved it.

You don’t get a certificate for every stage of your award do you. My point was that if the OP left their degree at the current stage they would at least of achieved the award of PGCert.
Original post by Alan88
They would have to wait until they received a certificate but if they have completed the eligible number of credits, that have been verified by the assessment board then of course they have achieved it.

You don’t get a certificate for every stage of your award do you. My point was that if the OP left their degree at the current stage they would at least of achieved the award of PGCert.

Yes, but they haven't left their degree, have they. They haven't got a PgCert. So they can't use the post-nominals.

Original post by Alan88
I see no reason why you can't

For the rather obvious reason that they don't have the qualification.
Reply 6
Yes, but they haven't left their degree, have they. They haven't got a PgCert. So they can't use the post-nominals.

For the rather obvious reason that they don't have the qualification.

The above person had already clarified the point you’re making, you just love to stick your 2 pence in as I see on so many posts... often just reiterating what someone else has already said.
Original post by Alan88
The above person had already clarified the point you’re making, you just love to stick your 2 pence in as I see on so many posts... often just reiterating what someone else has already said.

I'm sorry you feel bad about being wrong.
Reply 8
I'm sorry you feel bad about being wrong.

I still don’t feel I’m 100% wrong. Are you saying that when degrees end in July and people don’t graduate until as late as January, they can’t say they have a degree because they don’t have their award in their hands?

No, the university would just produce a letter of evidence, as people on my MSc had to do.

I’m sure that if the OP needed to verify his PGCert status they could receive evidence that they have completed the required number of credits to attain the award of PGCert.

It has nothing to do with being wrong, it’s just your whole attitude. You’re so full of yourself. Look at your profile, listing your qualifications and including that you work for a government agency... so do I, but I just decide not to broadcast it. You do that to try and impose on people the level of respect they should give you, or what you think you deserve because you feel you’ve got status. Respect is earned, you don’t get it through being rude!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Alan88
I still don’t feel I’m 100% wrong. Are you saying that when degrees end in July and people don’t graduate until as late as January, they can’t say they have a degree because they don’t have their award in their hands?

No, the university would just produce a letter of evidence, as people on my MSc had to do.

I’m sure that if the OP needed to verify his PGCert status he could receive evidence that they have completed the required number of credits to attain the award of PGCert.

It has nothing to do with being wrong, it’s just your whole attitude. You’re so full of yourself. Look at your profile, listing your qualifications and including that you work for a government agency... so do I, but I just decide not to broadcast it. You do that to try and impose on people the level of respect they should give you, or what you think you deserve because you feel you’ve got status. Respect is earned, you don’t get it through being rude!

With undergraduate degrees, before you actually graduate, but after your course ends and when you have received your results, you actually become a Graduand - basically, you've finished the degree, but you haven't actually been awarded it yet. So while you have all the correct credits, you haven't actually got the degree yet, and can't use the postnom.

It's probably similar to integrated masters - they tend to be 4 year courses (more if a year abroad/in industry) but after 3 years, while they have completed the same number of credits as someone doing a 3 year degree course, they don't get awarded a degree.

I imagine there is something similar here. I agree that the OP could probably request a letter of evidence saying they hold the credits needed, but I (personally) would be reluctant to use the postnom before actually being awarded it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Alan88
I still don’t feel I’m 100% wrong.

That doesn't stop you being wrong.

Original post by Alan88
Are you saying that when degrees end in July and people don’t graduate until as late as January, they can’t say they have a degree because they don’t have their award in their hands?

Technically they don't, but no-one minds. But that's a different circumstance to the OP.

Original post by Alan88

True, but irrelevant here.

Original post by Alan88
I’m sure that if the OP needed to verify his PGCert status he could receive evidence that they have completed the required number of credits to attain the award of PGCert.

But that's the key difference. OP isn't registered for a PgCert. And unless they decide to stop their studies now then they won't have a PgCert. Ergo they can't claim to have a PgCert, even though they might have met all the requirements. People studying MEng can't say they've got a BEng after 3 years.

Original post by Alan88

You're criticising me because I decided to be open and honest? Nice one. You're delusional if you think I'm here to get respect. Look, I called you out when you gave bad advice. If you think that's about attitude then that's on you. I've helped quite a few people over the years I've been on TSR who have approached me for advice. If you think that's because I'm on some sort of ego trip then that's your issue not mine.
Reply 11
That doesn't stop you being wrong.

Technically they don't, but no-one minds. But that's a different circumstance to the OP.

True, but irrelevant here.

But that's the key difference. OP isn't registered for a PgCert. And unless they decide to stop their studies now then they won't have a PgCert. Ergo they can't claim to have a PgCert, even though they might have met all the requirements. People studying MEng can't say they've got a BEng after 3 years.

You're criticising me because I decided to be open and honest? Nice one. You're delusional if you think I'm here to get respect. Look, I called you out when you gave bad advice. If you think that's about attitude then that's on you. I've helped quite a few people over the years I've been on TSR who have approached me for advice. If you think that's because I'm on some sort of ego trip then that's your issue not mine.

Oh my lord, this is dumb! You just have an answer for everything.

I’m criticising you about the way you approached me! If you felt I was wrong that’s fair enough, but you don’t need to be rude!

Funny how you think it’s about my interpretation and then you’ve just gone on about how you’ve done this and done that for people - not only that, but that they have sought you out! Self-aggrandising at its finest! I literally can’t cope!

I am done - I’ll go and spread my bad advice elsewhere.

What is the degree in? I ask because I can only imagine a small number of fields where you would derive any possible benefit from a postnom of PGCert (and, depending on the field, you are actually more likely to give the impression that you failed your Masters....)
clinical animal behaviour :-)
clinical animal behaviour :-)

I don't see how putting PGCert after your name would mean anything or benefit you in any way. You're more likely to look like either: you failed your Masters, or you're pretentious...

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't use an MSc postnom either. Postnoms make sense to highlight membership of a professional society, or to clarify that a PhD is in, for example, education: Dr Jones EdD (or DEd).
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending