The Student Room Group

maths help

I am meant to find out what figure completes this series
I don't quite understand this one tbh - it says 2 boxes are added along the sequence but then what kind of boxes -black/white? that's why iam confused when they explain further about the boxes alternating in colour.
3.PNG
Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by sienna2266
I am meant to find out what figure completes this series
I don't quite understand this one tbh - it says 2 boxes are added along the sequence but then what kind of boxes -black/white? that's why iam confused when they explain further about the boxes alternating in colour.
3.PNG
Attachment not found

1) Change the colour of the existing boxes
2) Add two new boxes around the edge
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
1) Change the colour of the existing boxes
2) Add two new boxes around the edge

Thanks but for 2) how do I know what the colour of the new boxes I am adding are?
Reply 3
Thanks but for 2) how do I know what the colour of the new boxes I am adding are?

To keep the alternating pattern. As always with these questions there may be other ways to think about it but you're looking for the answer that makes the most logical sense.

I assume the colour has to be different from the colours they touch
Reply 5
Original post by Notnek
To keep the alternating pattern. As always with these questions there may be other ways to think about it but you're looking for the answer that makes the most logical sense.

Ah right thanks - but one thing: in the fourth big box in the sequence, where do you add the 2 new boxes? You can only really add 1 new box so it doesn't really fit in with the pattern.
Reply 6
Original post by Motorcate
I assume the colour has to be different from the colours they touch

Ah right thanks - but one thing: in the fourth big box in the sequence, where do you add the 2 new boxes? You can only really add 1 new box so it doesn't really fit in with the pattern.
Reply 7

For the next one you would have a new white box and then a black box replacing the old black box. So the logic still works. If you were to then continue this pattern, every subsequent diagram would look the same as the last one but just alternated and any new box would replace existing boxes.

As I already said, you're looking for the answer that makes the most logical sense. When these questions get really hard, the answer is often the choice that makes the most logical sense but the logic can be very shaky i.e. you're looking for the "least worst" answer.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest