The Student Room Group

Law at UCL, Warwick, KCL with these grades. Realistic or not?

Hi,
I want to apply for law to a top Russell Group university, but I don't know if I can with these grades:
GCSEs: 6A* 5A
AS Levels: German: A, Maths: B, Physics: B, History: B (Dropping one of them)
Most likely predicted grades: AAA
Universities I am looking to apply to: UCL, KCL, Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol

I know I messed up my AS levels, which I deeply regret. I think I have a strong personal statement, but I don't know if I will be rejected right off the bat by universities such as UCL for having lower predicted grades.

If you have experience in this or have received an offer with grades similar to mine, please help me out and let me know (be as harsh as possible). I am also open to more realistic university suggestions.
Notts and Warwick want AAA, so not unrealistic. The rest want A*AA and will not budge, unless you have a contextual offer for Bristol (look on their site to see if you meet the conditions).

Wait till you find your predictions before making any decisions. You're being a bit premature with this question.
You should be fine for Bristol even if it does say A*AA, up until this year the course was AAA and I think they'll be more lenient on this new A*AA offer compared to UCL who have had their barrier at A*AA for years. My friend To Bristol in my year (2016-2017) with worse GCSE's than you and roughly the same AS level grades and still got an offer, though this was when the grade requirements were AAA, just make sure you don't do horrifically in the LNAT. KCL will probably be in clearing so up to you if you want to apply there or not.
Original post by ChemistryGuy1998
You should be fine for Bristol even if it does say A*AA, up until this year the course was AAA and I think they'll be more lenient on this new A*AA offer compared to UCL who have had their barrier at A*AA for years. My friend To Bristol in my year (2016-2017) with worse GCSE's than you and roughly the same AS level grades and still got an offer, though this was when the grade requirements were AAA, just make sure you don't do horrifically in the LNAT. KCL will probably be in clearing so up to you if you want to apply there or not.

You don't know that Bristol will be lenient. They weren't that lenient with AAA and there are plenty people who were turned away on Results Day. And your point about your friend is rather moot, as they met the entry requirements and presumably got a satisfactory LNAT score. Entirely different in OP's case, where they potentially are not going to meet the entry requirements.

I can't ever remember KCL being in Clearing for law. might have a better memory.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
You don't know that Bristol will be lenient. They weren't that lenient with AAA and there are plenty people who were turned away on Results Day. And your point about your friend is rather moot, as they met the entry requirements and presumably got a satisfactory LNAT score. Entirely different in OP's case, where they potentially are not going to meet the entry requirements.

I can't ever remember KCL being in Clearing for law. @JohanGRK might have a better memory.

Although OP has AAA predictions, his GCSE's are pretty stellar so I think he has a higher chance. As long as he does at least average on his LNAT he's definitely in with a chance so it really won't hurt him to apply to Bristol as an optimistic option.
Will from the Inbetweeners in the first pic. Shows who they're going for and don't think Papa N is it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Notts and Warwick want AAA, so not unrealistic. The rest want A*AA and will not budge, unless you have a contextual offer for Bristol (look on their site to see if you meet the conditions).

Wait till you find your predictions before making any decisions. You're being a bit premature with this question.

Are you saying that it is not worth applying to universities that have an A*AA offer, if I am not predicted A*AA minimum?
Are you saying that predictions are going to mean a lot more this year? Should I just not apply to A*AA unis with AAA predictions?
i agree with
it's risky applying to universities with A*AA requirements with predictions lower than this, especially unis like UCL and KCL which tend to be competitive for Law, especially UCL.

Applying to 3 unis that have requirements you don't meet is inadvisable. choose 1 if you really want to go to one of these universities, but don't go for more.
also 4 of your options require lnat. its recommended u apply to max 3 lnat unis.
Original post by anonymous1231231
i agree with @JohanGRK
it's risky applying to universities with A*AA requirements with predictions lower than this, especially unis like UCL and KCL which tend to be competitive for Law, especially UCL.

Applying to 3 unis that have requirements you don't meet is inadvisable. choose 1 if you really want to go to one of these universities, but don't go for more.
also 4 of your options require lnat. its recommended u apply to max 3 lnat unis.

Recommended by whom?
Recommended by whom?

literally every teacher I've asked, also asked some admissions person on an open day at LSE. I'd love to apply for 4, as most of the unis i want to go to require lnat, but it seems too risky.
Original post by anonymous1231231
literally every teacher I've asked, also asked some admissions person on an open day at LSE. I'd love to apply for 4, as most of the unis i want to go to require lnat, but it seems too risky.

I wouldn't think that Notts is as risky as the other LNATs on there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending