The Student Room Group

Can I apply to Birmingham for medicine?

I know Birmingham is a pretty GCSE heavy uni so was wondering if my grades are strong enough or if I would have a better chance applying elsewhere.

9, 5A*,7, 7, 3A (Equivalent of 6A*, 5A)

I don't get my predicted grades until September and I'm doing my UKCAT next week but based solely off my GCSEs, what do you think?
Pretty sure Birmingham specify which subjects they look at for gcse points so check website. You’ll need 7/8 points for interview most likely so if you do well in UKCAT (670-700+) then you’ll probably get an interview, although no guarantees
Reply 2
Would my grades get me in there if i got 6 9's ,2 8's ,A* and a 5
Original post by S1650

It would most likely gain you an interview as long as you did decently well on UKCAT but getting an offer is solely on the interview as far as I’m aware
Reply 4
Original post by S1650

People with that many A*'s don't usually get in, so it's difficult to say.
Reply 5
Original post by HGS345
People with that many A*'s don't usually get in, so it's difficult to say.

I'm asking cuz i got some how a 5 in english language but got a 9 in lit.I appreciate the sarcasm though
Reply 6
Original post by S1650
I'm asking cuz i got some how a 5 in english language but got a 9 in lit.I appreciate the sarcasm though

Just banter. Too many people on here coming with all A* asking if they can get into Medicine. You should've specified as that changes everything. A 5 in English Language will put you at quite a disadvantage, so best to resit it. If you get a 7 at least, it shouldn't be a problem.

And that's surprising you have a 4 grade difference between the two English subjects. That suggests you have the ability, but probably lack exam technique, so that will need working on if you plan to resit.
Reply 7
Original post by HGS345
Just banter. Too many people on here coming with all A* asking if they can get into Medicine. You should've specified as that changes everything. A 5 in English Language will put you at quite a disadvantage, so best to resit it. If you get a 7 at least, it shouldn't be a problem.

And that's surprising you have a 4 grade difference between the two English subjects. That suggests you have the ability, but probably lack exam technique, so that will need working on if you plan to resit.

im getting it remarked cuz i normally get at least an 8 in english language
Reply 8
Original post by S1650
im getting it remarked cuz i normally get at least an 8 in english language

Just had a bad day then, huh?
Reply 9
Original post by HGS345
Just had a bad day then, huh?

i doubt it cuz it felt normal not too hard or too easy and i thought i did well on my last questions
Reply 10
Original post by S1650
i doubt it cuz it felt normal not too hard or too easy and i thought i did well on my last questions

Alright. Well, hopefully it goes up. If it doesn't then resit and get that 8.
Reply 11
Original post by HGS345
Alright. Well, hopefully it goes up. If it doesn't then resit and get that 8.

Thanks
Reply 12
Original post by S1650

Minimum grade 6 required for English language according to their entry criteria. If you get remarked to a 6, then you need to put your grades and ukcat into their tool, looking for a score of around 8.0. Guidance last year was to look for a score of 7.0, but the cut off for standard applicants without contextual data was actually marginally above 8.
Reply 13
Original post by leverarch
I know Birmingham is a pretty GCSE heavy uni so was wondering if my grades are strong enough or if I would have a better chance applying elsewhere.

I don't get my predicted grades until September and I'm doing my UKCAT next week but based solely off my GCSEs, what do you think?

You're better off asking again when you have your ukcat score. Better still just put your scores into their calculator when you have your result, and look for a score around 8.0.

Again, once you have your ukcat score, I can give you a view on pretty much any med school if you tell me which you're interested in.
Original post by leverarch

Taken from the Birmingham medicine website:

The subjects that will be scored are: English (both English Language and English Literature), Mathematics (or one, but not both, of Methods in Mathematics and Applications of Mathematics), Biology and Chemistry (or dual award science), plus two additional GCSEs (any subject).

For the subjects specified above, a minimum grade of B/6 must be offered and the scores allocated to the different grades will be in the ratio 4:2:1 for A*, A, B/8,7,6, respectively). For each of the two unspecified subjects, a score of 2 will be allocated when an A*/8 grade has been obtained (lower grades will not receive a score).

As for resit grades, it says that resits are not considered unless you have extenuating circumstances.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/med/medicine.aspx#CourseDetailsTab
(edited 5 years ago)

GCSE's - 9A*, 2A (ICT and English Literature)
UKCAT - 682.5 band 1
AS levels - AAAB
A levels - hopefully AAA/A*AA

Do I have a good chance for Birmingham and Kings college??

Also do you have to get A*AA predictions for these two, to be considered or can I still get in with predictions of AAA???

What did you get specifically in maths, english and the sciences?
Original post by Grade A
What did you get specifically in maths, english and the sciences?

Maths - A*
physics, biology, chemistry - A*
English language - A*
English Literature - A
Original post by Katie.12
Maths - A*
physics, biology, chemistry - A*
English language - A*
English Literature - A

You'd make a competitive application. But just ensure that the personal statement, teacher reference, A-Level predicted grades, UKCAT score and interview is good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending