The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Loughborough university psychology

Hi guys, I’m considering doing an undergraduate degree at Loughborough. I just wanted to know how the psychology degree and professors are like. I also wanted to know how the environment and social life is life. Also the accommodations there and which ones are the cheapest or more social
Original post by Whata
Hi guys, I’m considering doing an undergraduate degree at Loughborough. I just wanted to know how the psychology degree and professors are like. I also wanted to know how the environment and social life is life. Also the accommodations there and which ones are the cheapest or more social

Hi Whata,

I'm a third year psychology student, so I think I can provide an accurate response for you. :smile:

While being at Loughborough, I have found that the lecturers are really helpful and engaging whilst you're in lectures. If ever you're struggling with course material, they're often more than happy to help if you just send them an email.

The course itself is very varied/broad. It does cover a lot of content, but all of it is quite interesting. I've yet to have a module where I haven't found at least one aspect of it interesting. Optional modules are going to be your best bet for studying things that you are especially interesting, however, your choices will differ from mine in first year given that modules and content changes from year to year.

The cheapest accommodation is Falkner Eggington - but, you can check all of the costs for each hall of residence on the website here. To be honest, each hall of residence is incredibly social, as each have a really good atmosphere about them. Personally, however, I'd say 'Falk Egg' is the most sociable, but I haven't stayed in the other halls so I may be a little biased :lol:.

The social scene in Loughborough is quite active. It depends how much you want to get involved in as well, you can make your time here as social as you want it to be by getting involved in different clubs and societies. Freshers' is where you will see Loughborough at it's most lively though as all of the new students come to uni. Here's a list of 'what to expect' in your first week here. I also think this page may help, as it describes what your first days at Loughborough may look like.

Hope this helps.

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help. :smile:

Priya.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 2
Original post by Loughborough University
Hi Whata,

I'm a third year psychology student, so I think I can provide an accurate response for you. :smile:

While being at Loughborough, I have found that the lecturers are really helpful and engaging whilst you're in lectures. If ever you're struggling with course material, they're often more than happy to help if you just send them an email.

The course itself is very varied/broad. It does cover a lot of content, but all of it is quite interesting. I've yet to have a module where I haven't found at least one aspect of it interesting. Optional modules are going to be your best bet for studying things that you are especially interesting, however, your choices will differ from mine in first year given that modules and content changes from year to year.

The cheapest accommodation is Falkner Eggington - but, you can check all of the costs for each hall of residence on the website here. To be honest, each hall of residence is incredibly social, as each have a really good atmosphere about them. Personally, however, I'd say 'Falk Egg' is the most sociable, but I haven't stayed in the other halls so I may be a little biased :lol:.

The social scene in Loughborough is quite active. It depends how much you want to get involved in as well, you can make your time here as social as you want it to be by getting involved in different clubs and societies. Freshers' is where you will see Loughborough at it's most lively though as all of the new students come to uni. Here's a list of 'what to expect' in your first week here. I also think this page may help, as it describes what your first days at Loughborough may look like.

Hope this helps.

Priya.

Hi thank you so much for your reply.

Would you recommend living at university and also in your first year are there people that study the same subject as you in your halls or is it randomly allocated?

Also, is there any work experience available when doing this course or do you have to find your own?

And one more questions, would you describe the work load as intense, and is there time for a part time job?

Sorry for the tons of questions I just want to make sure this university is for me before firming :smile:
Reply 3
Hi Whata,

Hope this helps.

Priya.

Also what is the difference between a 4 year full time sandwich course and a 3 year course?
Original post by Whata
Hi thank you so much for your reply.

Would you recommend living at university and also in your first year are there people that study the same subject as you in your halls or is it randomly allocated?

Also, is there any work experience available when doing this course or do you have to find your own?

And one more questions, would you describe the work load as intense, and is there time for a part time job?

Sorry for the tons of questions I just want to make sure this university is for me before firming :smile:

Hi Whata,

No problem.

Whether or not you live away from home while going to uni is usually based on several different factors - e.g. finances, your specific home-life, travel costs to and from uni. However, if it is financially do-able it means that you would get the social side of uni, so it does really depend on if it's an option that's available to you. It is usually randomly allocated, which I quite liked as it means you get to meet a variety of different people, studying different things.

So, the work experience depends on what type of course you're on. If you're on a 'sandwich course' that means there's an included placement year. However, if you want to do a placement and you haven't applied for the four year course, it's really easy to change once you're at uni. Regarding finding a placement year, the uni doesn't provide placements for you, you would have to find one yourself, however, the Careers Service here offer loads of help with building CVs, preparing for interviews and sending you job vacancies etc.

I would say that in first year, there is definitely enough time to also have a part time job and the uni offers quite a few vacancies, as well as the surrounding town(s). The workload in first year isn't quite so 'intense' as it is mainly about getting everyone up to the same baseline in terms of knowledge of psychology, as people may have taken different A-level subjects/modules during their A-levels.

No need to apologise! I'm happy to give advice, specifically since I'm doing the exact course you're asking about - means I can give you relatively accurate answers.

Priya :smile:
Original post by Whata
Also what is the difference between a 4 year full time sandwich course and a 3 year course?

Think I answered this in the last post.

If you have any more questions about it, I'm happy to answer them :smile:

Think I answered this in the last post.

If you have any more questions about it, I'm happy to answer them :smile:

Hi Priya,
Would you mind telling me which A levels you did and what grades you got at AS and A2. My daughter is considering Loughborough but didn't do too well at AS. She knows she needs to work hard now to get an offer from her desired uni's.
Thanks
Original post by sjaswal0786
Hi Priya,
Would you mind telling me which A levels you did and what grades you got at AS and A2. My daughter is considering Loughborough but didn't do too well at AS. She knows she needs to work hard now to get an offer from her desired uni's.
Thanks

Hi sjaswal0786,

That's no problem at all. At A Level I did English Literature, Sociology
Psychology and I achieved AAB, respectively.

At AS, I took English language, English Literature, Psychology and Sociology and I achieved ABBB.

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter didn't do as she'd hoped, but like you said, with some hard work she may end up at the uni of her choice!

I would also suggest perhaps resitting some modules, if this is still a possibility for her, and carrying them over into her second year.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending