The Student Room Group

Oxford Uni Classics Aptitude Test Scores

Hi, has anyone been doing the Classics language aptitude test ( CLAT, for people who haven't studied Latin or Greek ) or the Latin or Greek ( out of interest ) past papers in preparation for the Oxford 2018 test. If so what scores have you been getting? I have only tried one and got 72/100 in an hour ( 82/100 after ) although many many stupid mistakes.

French was my stand out worst GCSE so very unconfident with my language ability and have no one else to compare standards to.
What has everyone been getting and how are you finding it.
You can't really get much higher than 82/100 so it must be quite good at least. I'm taking the Latin paper, which I have no clue about at all as Oxford don't provide mark schemes and you are given basically a full 2 hour A-Level Latin paper to do in 1 hour.

According to the Oxford website they invite nearly everyone to interview, yet they still do the CAT tests, meaning they seem quite an important part of whether you actually get in or not idk.
Original post by icrywheniwee
You can't really get much higher than 82/100 so it must be quite good at least. I'm taking the Latin paper, which I have no clue about at all as Oxford don't provide mark schemes and you are given basically a full 2 hour A-Level Latin paper to do in 1 hour.

According to the Oxford website they invite nearly everyone to interview, yet they still do the CAT tests, meaning they seem quite an important part of whether you actually get in or not idk.

We agree the practice scores are good and prospects for interview would be very strong with this type of result.
Reply 3
Original post by icrywheniwee

You have an interview where someone goes through the test with you I believe
Original post by ninjaliv
You have an interview where someone goes through the test with you I believe

ah that would make sense, so it's probably beneficial to try and remember the passages from the text and look at them in your own time after.
Original post by ninjaliv
Hi, has anyone been doing the Classics language aptitude test ( CLAT, for people who haven't studied Latin or Greek ) or the Latin or Greek ( out of interest ) past papers in preparation for the Oxford 2018 test. If so what scores have you been getting? I have only tried one and got 72/100 in an hour ( 82/100 after ) although many many stupid mistakes.

French was my stand out worst GCSE so very unconfident with my language ability and have no one else to compare standards to.
What has everyone been getting and how are you finding it.

I got an 85 my first try of the CLAT (haven't done another one yet!) but I'm terrified that that won't be high enough and they'll only accept uber geniuses :redface: I've been finding it really fun, in all honesty: I love languages and code cracking (and I've continued French to A-level, plus I'm trying to teach myself some Latin from some old books I found in Oxfam, so that deffo helps). Something I found super useful was knowing what nominative/genitive etc mean bc if I hadn't known that then I would have been super lost in trying to work out the made up language structures. I'll do another one and get back to you on what I get this time:smile:

What are you applying for btw?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending