The Student Room Group

How many language GCSEs did everyone take?

Which languages were they and how did you all do?
I took three, two for native speakers.
Got A*s in English Lang, A* in French, and a B in German Language.
Original post by Jomee15

7s in english and French
A in English and A* in Spanish
Reply 4
A* in Mandarin and 8 in Spanish
A* in English language and German
9 in english language and 6 in french
Reply 7
English Language A , French A, Spanish B.
Original post by Absolute_Zero
A* in English language and German

That’s amazing! If you don’t mind me asking, how did you study/revise for them?
Original post by Hiro2468
That’s amazing! If you don’t mind me asking, how did you study/revise for them?

Thanks! I did CIE IGCSE for both, hence the letter grading. I find CIE to differ from a lot of the other exam boards in that papers are very structured/predictable, so it could be very different in your case. Honestly I didn't do too much revision for either of them, so paying attention in class and making sure to hand in homework on time is the most important advice I can give. For German, I did a lot for writing in class, so grammar became comfortable enough for me to focus more on vocabulary. Learning vocabulary is quite boring to some but it helps on all - speaking, writing, reading...etc. I spent more time relatively on the speaking section because I found it most nerve-wracking, so most practice went into that. English on the other hand is quite subjective - some people are familiar enough with the language to only focus on exam technique. The obvious first step would be to improve your vocabulary as well, but then after that I just did past papers to make sure time wasn't an issue.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
GCSE Spanish A* Irish A* English Language A*
Two- a C in French and a C in German.
Original post by Absolute_Zero
Thanks! I did CIE IGCSE for both, hence the letter grading. I find CIE to differ from a lot of the other exam boards in that papers are very structured/predictable, so it could be very different in your case. Honestly I didn't do too much revision for either of them, so paying attention in class and making sure to hand in homework on time is the most important advice I can give. For German, I did a lot for writing in class, so grammar became comfortable enough for me to focus more on vocabulary. Learning vocabulary is quite boring to some but it helps on all - speaking, writing, reading...etc. I spent more time relatively on the speaking section because I found it most nerve-wracking, so most practice went into that. English on the other hand is quite subjective - some people are familiar enough with the language to only focus on exam technique. The obvious first step would be to improve your vocabulary as well, but then after that I just did past papers to make sure time wasn't an issue.

Thank you so much for your response! What did you do for the speaking section please? When I come back from summer holiday I have a German speaking exam coming up which we'll be doing the questions,roleplays and saying what's in the picture.
Reply 13
A* English, B French, 2003.
9 in english lang and 8 in german
Original post by Jomee15

I did English Language (A) Spanish (A*) German (A*) and if you count it as a Language also Latin (8)
9s in both English Language and Spanish
English- A*
Latin- A*
Spanish- A*
French- A*
Russian- A*
8 in english and 6 in french
8 in german, 5 in english lang, 8 in english lit

Quick Reply

Latest