The Student Room Group

BSc Digital & Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship

Scroll to see replies

Quick question to the peeps who are using QA as their provider, when you was joining with them, did they ask you anything?
Like after your company gave you an offer do they do anything? like ask for your certificates or anything or is it a done deal after you pass all the relevant checks.
The company I've applied to only want a level 3 in a related subject. I have that, so I shouldn't be worrying?
Original post by UnfoMicro
Quick question to the peeps who are using QA as their provider, when you was joining with them, did they ask you anything?
Like after your company gave you an offer do they do anything? like ask for your certificates or anything or is it a done deal after you pass all the relevant checks.
The company I've applied to only want a level 3 in a related subject. I have that, so I shouldn't be worrying?

Hi there, I'm with QA and can say that they do ask for digital copies of your academic certificates if you received a conditional offer from the company. In my contract it does state that I need to have evidence of the minimum requirements, e.g. GCSEs, A-Levels. You'll receive conditional offers by QA and the company so it might be worth knowing what these are.

Hope this helps!
Any infrastructure offers been given out so far?
Reply 83
Could someone please let me know how their assessment centre with Accenture went, specifically for the Digital and Technology Apprenticeship. As I have mine coming up this week so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also what type of questions were asked?
Reply 84
Original post by squirrology
I'm currently a 1st-year student in the Accenture degree apprenticeship. They will consider you with a BTEC - there are many people in my intake who studied a BTEC. Their requirements state 2 A-Levels or Equivalent (So that could be in a BTEC, IB or any other Level 3 qualification)

hey! just out of curiousity, what are the average a level grades in your cohort? And are there any subject requirements (eg. Maths A Level)?
Original post by a.mara
hey! just out of curiousity, what are the average a level grades in your cohort? And are there any subject requirements (eg. Maths A Level)?

Some people did BTEC and some did A-levels. Most people got B's and C or Distinctions. The entry requirements were fairly low tbh - like BCC or CCD (Can't remember) for the 3 year programme and no entry requirements for the 4 year programme.
Original post by senpanda
Any infrastructure offers been given out so far?

Have you heard back from Accenture infrastructure yet?
Hi I’m applying to the digital and technological solutions to start for September 2019 and I’m really puzzled as to what to put in my CV. Like the style and type of information it struggling to put in. I am currently working part time in a phone repair shop to get work experience to show passion for technology but what other themes can I put in my CV to help it in an apprentices opinion. (Ik there isn’t the coding aspect in the phone repair shop as much but I am passionate about this and really want to succeed in the application process). Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Saleh2715518197
Hi I’m applying to the digital and technological solutions to start for September 2019 and I’m really puzzled as to what to put in my CV. Like the style and type of information it struggling to put in. I am currently working part time in a phone repair shop to get work experience to show passion for technology but what other themes can I put in my CV to help it in an apprentices opinion. (Ik there isn’t the coding aspect in the phone repair shop as much but I am passionate about this and really want to succeed in the application process). Thanks in advance :smile:

Hey! Sorry, I can't help you since we're in the same position, but I'm just wondering which apprentiship your applying for? All the ones I've seen haven't opened applications yet lol
Original post by a.mara
Hey! Sorry, I can't help you since we're in the same position, but I'm just wondering which apprentiship your applying for? All the ones I've seen haven't opened applications yet lol

Hi, nice to meet someone in the same boat! (Btw I made a thread for people like us). I haven’t applied yet as the September cohort application process hasn’t opened yet but I’m preparing my CV and I think I’m going to try to make a cover letter as well. So I wanted some help with making my CV. I think the September 2019 application seem to start to open around mid-Septemberish (please correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve heard they’re parallel to UCAS application). But so far I’ve only tried to find as many companies as I can and register my interest. I hope this answers your question. (Digital and technological solutions degree apprenticeship)

Hi,

I've been on the DTS degree as a Software Developer for a year now with an IT company. Since it's an apprenticeship, they're not looking for someone who is extremely knowledgeable of their field already. They expect you to be inexperienced, therefore your CV doesn't need to be full of programming experiences if your specification is for a Software Developer/Engineer.

What they're looking for is someone who will stick with the degree, be motivated to learn and handle the work environment maturely. Any past work experiences are extremely useful to note in your CV since you can use that as proof that you have experience of a workplace. I used to be a cleaner for one day a week during Year 13, they found this great even though it literally has nothing to do with Software Development of course.

Even though past experience isn't necessary as I said earlier, it is definitely something to boast about if you have any relevant experiences related to the field. For example, I mentioned to my employer in my CV that I had started an online programming course. I also talked about some crappy little IT project we did in ICT. You basically just need a couple of things which show your interest / practices in IT.

Lastly, you really MUST include qualities that show you will be a good fit for a workplace. For example, the main ones being teamwork/communication, motivation, independence and punctuality. It's obviously not enough to just mention these in a list, you should have a real life example of when you might have demonstrated these. For example, to prove my claim of being effective with working in a team, I related it to my past work experience as a cleaner.

Even if you have never had a job, talk about a sport, school club, social club, or even a tricky situation you've been in just to back up your quality claims, otherwise they will never seem believable.

In your case, having worked in a phone repair shop is great. It shows that you've been exposed to technology and technical problems as well as having experience in a work environment. Make sure you talk about this in detail.
Original post by deansilva
Hi,

I've been on the DTS degree as a Software Developer for a year now with an IT company. Since it's an apprenticeship, they're not looking for someone who is extremely knowledgeable of their field already. They expect you to be inexperienced, therefore your CV doesn't need to be full of programming experiences if your specification is for a Software Developer/Engineer.

What they're looking for is someone who will stick with the degree, be motivated to learn and handle the work environment maturely. Any past work experiences are extremely useful to note in your CV since you can use that as proof that you have experience of a workplace. I used to be a cleaner for one day a week during Year 13, they found this great even though it literally has nothing to do with Software Development of course.

Even though past experience isn't necessary as I said earlier, it is definitely something to boast about if you have any relevant experiences related to the field. For example, I mentioned to my employer in my CV that I had started an online programming course. I also talked about some crappy little IT project we did in ICT. You basically just need a couple of things which show your interest / practices in IT.

Lastly, you really MUST include qualities that show you will be a good fit for a workplace. For example, the main ones being teamwork/communication, motivation, independence and punctuality. It's obviously not enough to just mention these in a list, you should have a real life example of when you might have demonstrated these. For example, to prove my claim of being effective with working in a team, I related it to my past work experience as a cleaner.

Even if you have never had a job, talk about a sport, school club, social club, or even a tricky situation you've been in just to back up your quality claims, otherwise they will never seem believable.

In your case, having worked in a phone repair shop is great. It shows that you've been exposed to technology and technical problems as well as having experience in a work environment. Make sure you talk about this in detail.

Thank you for such a detailed reply. How are you finding the apprenticeship so far and what company are you with? What things stood out the most about the apprenticeship as you was doing it? One again thank you for the brilliant reply! :smile:
Reply 92
Original post by deansilva
Hi,

Damn you seem to really know your stuff. I know this is a bit of a reach, but would u be willing to have a quick read over my CV??? I completely understand if you've got other commitments :smile:
I'm working at an IT start-up so you wouldn't recognise the name.

So far the apprenticeship overall has been good in my experience. There are a number of pros and cons to the structure of the apprenticeship.

The good thing about the course is that you literally learn SO MUCH. You are forced into your field, thrown in the deep end and made to swim in it. I've gone from not knowing what a variable is, to building complex websites in just a year.

The course has also matured me a lot, you are put in a work place with adults who have kids and are married. These are the people who spend most time with during the week so you really pick up these adult traits lol.

It's also good that you get to be at university once a week, so you still get to mingle with people your own age and make friends there and have SOME of that uni lifestyle if you want.

It is usually structured so that you go into university for one day every week, so you're not always sitting in the office for 5 days a week, unlike a normal apprenticeship.

Unfortunately, the course is quite intense at times. You will have weeks where you have a work project and a university deadline to meet at the same time. The work load becomes very stressful at times. Here, it's just important to make sure you get your university work done as soon as possible.

There will be moments where you feel like you made the wrong decision and wish you could just be a normal university student and not have to deal with a 9-5 workplace. You will look at your friends who are all living it up and feel a bit down that you're not having similar experiences as they are.

Overall, I would say that if you're looking for your higher education to be parties, being at a university campus and making lot's of friends then this probably isn't the course for you.

However, if you want a free Bsc degree, three years experience in your field, earn between 15-20k a year and be tuition debt free. Then not having that party fun lifestyle is the price you will pay for it. Being 21 with a degree, three years of experience and no debts is seriously an amazing feat and position to be in. You will look so attractive to an employer. People in other countries would die for that chance.
@a.mara

Yeah sure, but just make sure to take out any personal information thats in the CV like your phone number etc before sending it :smile:
I will pm you my email address.

Hi there!

@deansilva has mostly covered what I was about to answer but I'm sure I can share what my experience was like.

I applied for a couple of IT apprenticeships on https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship and shortly after I received an email from @QA Apprenticeships about one of the apprenticeships I applied for. I had to submit a CV and an application form which was like a cover letter.

In your CV it's good to include who you are as a person and what you are passionate about. The company isn't going to look for the smartest people; they are looking for those that have potential, and are willing to learn and have the ability to work as a team. You need to be driven which you can demonstrate by examples of your life experiences.

Most of my experiences that I shared in my CV and interview weren't solely based on technical knowledge, but from the life experiences that made me who I am as a person. For example, I do lots of volunteering and am a leader in a youth organisation, which demonstrates my commitment and also skills such as punctuality, teamwork, and leadership.

Therefore it's worth showing off your personal traits and passion for the industry rather than how much you know about technical skills.
Original post by Toy Soldiers
Hi there!

@deansilva has mostly covered what I was about to answer but I'm sure I can share what my experience was like.

I applied for a couple of IT apprenticeships on https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship and shortly after I received an email from @QA Apprenticeships about one of the apprenticeships I applied for. I had to submit a CV and an application form which was like a cover letter.

In your CV it's good to include who you are as a person and what you are passionate about. The company isn't going to look for the smartest people; they are looking for those that have potential, and are willing to learn and have the ability to work as a team. You need to be driven which you can demonstrate by examples of your life experiences.

Most of my experiences that I shared in my CV and interview weren't solely based on technical knowledge, but from the life experiences that made me who I am as a person. For example, I do lots of volunteering and am a leader in a youth organisation, which demonstrates my commitment and also skills such as punctuality, teamwork, and leadership.

Therefore it's worth showing off your personal traits and passion for the industry rather than how much you know about technical skills.

Thank you for adding onto an already great answer I’m surprised that they dont seem to want the technical side as much although they still probably see it as important. When I’m in the process of application I hope you won’t be too busy and can answer some of my struggles. Thanks a lot for the insight :smile:
Thank you for adding onto an already great answer I’m surprised that they dont seem to want the technical side as much although they still probably see it as important. When I’m in the process of application I hope you won’t be too busy and can answer some of my struggles. Thanks a lot for the insight :smile:

My pleasure, and sure thing! Happy to help. :smile:
I'm going to be starting a BSc Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship with QA and HP Enterprise next month. They said on the phone they want us to follow the IT Consultant pathway but it isn't listed on QA's website. I actually got two offers, now drowning in paperwork doing the onboarding and such. On Tuesday there's a conference call and I start the Monday after. It seems pretty good, I'm just worried that the workload will be tough.
Original post by Jamessuperfun
I'm going to be starting a BSc Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship with QA and HP Enterprise next month. They said on the phone they want us to follow the IT Consultant pathway but it isn't listed on QA's website. I actually got two offers, now drowning in paperwork doing the onboarding and such. On Tuesday there's a conference call and I start the Monday after. It seems pretty good, I'm just worried that the workload will be tough.

Hi there, congratulations on securing a place at HP Enterprise. :smile:

It sounds like you'll be doing the data analyst pathway as that seems like the closest fit to IT consultancy. When I started my apprenticeship there is lots of paperwork to begin with but you'll ease your way into it and start on your project. It's not as overwhelming as you think it would be.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending