The Student Room Group

HELP :Oxbridge and Medicine

Hey, I have just received my GCSE results and I want to know if they are good enough for oxbridge and medicine. I know I messed up on Biology but if you have any tips let me know.

Maths: 9
English Lit: A*
English Lang: A
Biology: B (possible remark)
Chemistry: 8 (two marks off nine getting a remark)
Physics: A*
German: A*
Spanish: A*
Latin: 8
RS: 9

Please could you advice me. I’m 7 ums off the boundary for biology so it probably won’t change. I don’t know please help!
yes medicine, yes Cambridge with a good bmat and predictions, maybe not Oxford though.
Barring the B, the rest of your results are solid, so I would just focus on getting solid A level predicted grades after Year 12, forming a good personal statement and scoring well on the ukcat/bmat. That being said, avoid unis like Oxford and Birmingham, as they place great emphasis on GCSE grades and could reject you outright. Therefore research well on the strictness of med schools concerning your GCSE grades.
Reply 3
Original post by hello2906
yes medicine, yes Cambridge with a good bmat and predictions, maybe not Oxford though.

Thank you. I’m more interested in Cambridge anyways that has always been my dream. Why not Oxford if I could ask? Do you think that the biology grade would cause a huge problem for me cause I’m really worried about that?
Maybe Cambridge, very unlikely Oxford. Oxford has released their admission statistics, with the highest proportion of applicants securing 90%+ of their GCSEs as A*. The highest successes were evident for students who had securely attained 9/10 and 11 A*s at GCSE, with a minute proportion from the 7A* range (almost negligible to be accounted for). However, having said that one must consider that the only reliable data that universities have are public examinations, with the abolishment of compulsory AS, the only valid indicator of academic potential are GCSEs. Yes, it is still possible if you were to compensate by ensuring a robust BMAT score, above a 7. Biology GCSE is pivotal with some universities expecting an A minimum. You still have a chance of Cambridge, but its a chance. Remember there are applicants with straight 9s and A*s applying in addition to you, no University will give an unconditional offer just for someones GCSEs, they consider the admission tests as a secondary priority, with GCSEs as first. However, applications are viewed holistically so if one area were to be weak it may be better compensated elsewhere (Primarily admissions test). Interview performance is then considered pertinently, the combination of the three will decide whether you are successful or not. Note: Your personality and interests.
Curious why do you want to apply for Oxbridge? Cambridge amusingly is one of the worst medical schools in the United Kingdom for medical preparedness.
Reply 6
Original post by Science99999
Curious why do you want to apply for Oxbridge? Cambridge amusingly is one of the worst medical schools in the United Kingdom for medical preparedness.

I have just lived cambridge in particular for as long as I remember it has been my dream. I visited last year and fell in love with the city and uni but I’m not sure the atmosphere is right for me. I’m open to other suggestions for unis if you have any for me because I haven’t had much time to research. Please do let me know unis that you recommend. I’m just really worried about the B affecting my life. I looked at requirements and only two unis require an A at Biology. So hopefully it should be okay!
Original post by Neeka999
I have just lived cambridge in particular for as long as I remember it has been my dream. I visited last year and fell in love with the city and uni but I’m not sure the atmosphere is right for me. I’m open to other suggestions for unis if you have any for me because I haven’t had much time to research. Please do let me know unis that you recommend. I’m just really worried about the B affecting my life. I looked at requirements and only two unis require an A at Biology. So hopefully it should be okay!

It depends on what environment you enjoy? Competitive? Go Oxbridge, Imperial or UCL. Modern? Kings, UCL, Imperial & Queen Mary's. Traditional? Oxbridge, or old city? Bristol. Social vibrancy? Manchester. There are a plethora of popular medical schools, including UEA, Sheffield, Leeds, Nottingham and Keele.
Reply 8
Original post by Science99999
It depends on what environment you enjoy? Competitive? Go Oxbridge, Imperial or UCL. Modern? Kings, UCL, Imperial & Queen Mary's. Traditional? Oxbridge, or old city? Bristol. Social vibrancy? Manchester. There are a plethora of popular medical schools, including UEA, Sheffield, Leeds, Nottingham and Keele.

I preferably want to go to a Russel group university. A university that has some ‘life’ to it but as I put so much pressure on myself like a super competitive uni may not be the best idea. That’s what my worry was up until now was about cambridge. In the end I want to enjoy myself and love what I’m doing while at Uni and I don’t think it’s worth risking my own mental health and sanity over somewhere like ‘Cambridge.’ In a perfect world that would be my dream but I’m not perfect and I don’t know if it’s worth evening giving up a spot of the unis I apply to tbh.
I preferably want to go to a Russel group university. A university that has some ‘life’ to it but as I put so much pressure on myself like a super competitive uni may not be the best idea. That’s what my worry was up until now was about cambridge. In the end I want to enjoy myself and love what I’m doing while at Uni and I don’t think it’s worth risking my own mental health and sanity over somewhere like ‘Cambridge.’ In a perfect world that would be my dream but I’m not perfect and I don’t know if it’s worth evening giving up a spot of the unis I apply to tbh.

It is good that you are deeply considering university options applying to Oxbridge is a monumental step. Having discussed with a Cambridge Student regarding Cambridge Life, honestly it is competitive; they publically rank every individual's test scores, in addition to receiving multiple essays a week.
I'm looking at Oxbridge for medicine and am wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough.

Maths 9
Biology 9
Chemistry 9
Physics 9
Eng Lang 8
Eng Lit 8
RS 9
Computer Science 7
History A*
Further Maths: A*
German: 6

German was a shame and I'm wondering how realistic it is for me to successfully apply to oxbridge with these grades. Help would be much appreciated!!!
Reply 12
Original post by Moonblaster11
I'm looking at Oxbridge for medicine and am wondering if my GCSE grades are good enough.

Maths 9
Biology 9
Chemistry 9
Physics 9
Eng Lang 8
Eng Lit 8
RS 9
Computer Science 7
History A*

German was a shame and I'm wondering how realistic it is for me to successfully apply to oxbridge with these grades. Help would be much appreciated!!!

I think they are quite solid but I’m not sure about Oxford tbh.
Cambridge is a little more lenient
Original post by Moonblaster11

Maths 9
Biology 9
Chemistry 9
Physics 9
Eng Lang 8
Eng Lit 8
RS 9
Computer Science 7
History A*

Thank you. I’m more interested in Cambridge anyways that has always been my dream. Why not Oxford if I could ask? Do you think that the biology grade would cause a huge problem for me cause I’m really worried about that?

The Oxford data being alluded to is below. Take a look for yourselves.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Reply 15
Original post by nexttime
What is with supposedly intelligent people and complete inability to link sources.

The Oxford data being alluded to is below. Take a look for yourselves.

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

No need to be rude. We were just asking advice as all people do. You become ‘intelligent’ by working hard - it is not magic. Thank you
One more thing - is Maths 3 Sciences A levels worth it/sensible or am I shooting myself in the foot???
Reply 17
Original post by nexttime
?

I was expressing frustration at people who are clearly aware of the site i linked not linking it to you. Instead just writing prose with some vague numbers and expecting you to just believe them. Not really the behaviour of someone with intelligence.

Even the most intelligent people in the world ask for advice from time to time!

I’m sorry I believe I misunderstood you before. Could you rephrase what you are saying as I don’t think I quite understand?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending