The Student Room Group

Royal Navy

I have a history of anxiety but I don't know what's exactly on my medical records, I'm pretty sure depression isn't on there and I was on beta blockers for panic attacks but came off them a while ago, would I stand a chance of joining? On the website it doesn't say anything anxiety or depression but I know it might come up, or is there a certain amount of time you have to be symptom free before joining? I really want to join. I'm 18 btw and won't be joining straight away, maybe decide next year.
Reply 1
Original post by ssoopphhii
I have a history of anxiety but I don't know what's exactly on my medical records, I'm pretty sure depression isn't on there and I was on beta blockers for panic attacks but came off them a while ago, would I stand a chance of joining? On the website it doesn't say anything anxiety or depression but I know it might come up, or is there a certain amount of time you have to be symptom free before joining? I really want to join. I'm 18 btw and won't be joining straight away, maybe decide next year.

Find out what's on your records, first. Don't go into this without the facts.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
Find out what's on your records, first. Don't go into this without the facts.

What facts?
Reply 3
What facts?

I have a history of anxiety but I don't know what's exactly on my medical records, I'm pretty sure depression isn't on there and I was on beta blockers

Those facts.

I applied for the navy 2 years ago, I told them I had depression in the past and was on tablets for it and they asked how long ago, at the time it was 18 months and they said fine.

What I would say is ring the recruitment office and ask them the question. Don't give your name and then you can decide if you need to speak to your doctor to see what is listed on your records.
Reply 5
Original post by medavidcook
I applied for the navy 2 years ago, I told them I had depression in the past and was on tablets for it and they asked how long ago, at the time it was 18 months and they said fine.

What I would say is ring the recruitment office and ask them the question. Don't give your name and then you can decide if you need to speak to your doctor to see what is listed on your records.

Oh okay, what job did you apply for though? I was going to ring at some point and maybe get an interview just see what my options are, well not interview but just go in and speak to someone.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Those facts.

I don't get your point.
i was going in as an engineer before family issues stopped that. Give them a ring first as dontwant to travel to be told know and they are more than happy to discuss over the phone
Reply 8
Original post by medavidcook
i was going in as an engineer before family issues stopped that. Give them a ring first as dontwant to travel to be told know and they are more than happy to discuss over the phone

Well they won't say no straight away because they don't know what else is on my records and they won't understand the situation, also it's just in general what my options are for joining if I do
Reply 9
I don't get your point.

I'm not talking in riddles.

You're the one who says that you don't know what's on your records; so go and find out what's on your records, that way you'll know what rules apply when you go talk to them at the careers' office.
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski
I'm not talking in riddles.

You're the one who says that you don't know what's on your records; so go and find out what's on your records, that way you'll know what rules apply when you go talk to them at the careers' office.

I'm not sure how you find out?
I'm not sure how you find out?

Ever thought of talking to your doctor?
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski
Ever thought of talking to your doctor?

Lmfao no need to be rude.
Lmfao no need to be rude.

That wasn't rude.

If you think it was, you'll hate basic training...
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
That wasn't rude.

I doubt I'll hate basic training haha
I doubt I'll hate basic training haha

You might not hate it but it won’t always be enjoyable.

Drewski is absolutely right though; speak to your Doctor and take it from there.
Reply 16
Original post by 0902
You might not hate it but it won’t always be enjoyable.

Drewski is absolutely right though; speak to your Doctor and take it from there.

Well I know a lot more about the Royal Navy than you think :smile:
Well I know a lot more about the Royal Navy than you think :smile:

No ones doubting that, however plan ahead and if you’re not applying until next year - there’s no harm in speaking to your Doctor and finding out all the answers to your questions now - which could save time next year.
Original post by Drewski
That wasn't rude.

I concur! Good luck in the Fleet Princess!
Disorders barring entry from the RN eligibility form:

Psychiatric
disorders

Ongoing psychiatric illness. Psychosis. Schizophrenia. Obsessive-compulsive
disorder. Autism. Personality disorder. More than one episode of deliberate self-harm
of any type. Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Alcohol, drug or substance
dependence. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) unless free of symptoms
and not requiring treatment for at least three years. Anorexia and bulimia.

Quick Reply

Latest