The Student Room Group

A*AA vs AAA prediction for Law

Hi guys,
Here are my AS grades: Business 81 Law 77 Economics 74 Maths 65. I will be dropping maths, and I have already started a different and more vigorous approach to get A*AA. However, should I push for a similar prediction, or push for AAA? My target unis are: Nottingham, Oxford, QMUL (Law with politics), Manchester, Cardiff. Will having an A*AA prediction give me an edge? Or will it just invite higher offers? On the contrary, I saw A*AA predicted students on TSR getting AAB offers from Nottingham. Tia :smile:
Original post by infernowasif
Hi guys,
Here are my AS grades: Business 81 Law 77 Economics 74 Maths 65. I will be dropping maths, and I have already started a different and more vigorous approach to get A*AA. However, should I push for a similar prediction, or push for AAA? My target unis are: Nottingham, Oxford, QMUL (Law with politics), Manchester, Cardiff. Will having an A*AA prediction give me an edge? Or will it just invite higher offers? On the contrary, I saw A*AA predicted students on TSR getting AAB offers from Nottingham. Tia :smile:

Your predicted grades shouldn't influence what offer you get. I was predicted A*AA, applied to AAA universities, and got either AAA offers or unconditionals for Law. Yes, some people will have received AAB offers and so on but that'll either be due to contextual circumstances (a relatively poor school, personal circumstances etc.) or because of an extraordinarily strong application. Getting predicted lower grades will not lead to a lower offer.

If you genuinely think you'll get A*AA then by all means see if you can be predicted it, but there's little point being predicted it if you're not likely to get it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Especially for oxford, a prediction of A*AA gives you a more competitive edge.
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Your predicted grades shouldn't influence what offer you get. I was predicted A*AA, applied to AAA universities, and got either AAA offers or unconditionals for Law. Yes, some people will have received AAB offers and so on but that'll either be due to contextual circumstances (a relatively poor school, personal circumstances etc.) or because of an extraordinarily strong application. Getting predicted lower grades will not lead to a lower offer.

If you genuinely think you'll get A*AA then by all means see if you can be predicted it, but there's little point being predicted it if you're not likely to get it.

Thanks! I am genuinely targetting an A*AA. But I will be content with an AAA, so I will push for the latter as predicted ig.
Original post by Anon.1234
Especially for oxford, a prediction of A*AA gives you a more competitive edge.

Really? Then why would they give AAA as entry requirement?
Thanks! I am genuinely targetting an A*AA. But I will be content with an AAA, so I will push for the latter as predicted ig.

I hadn't focused on Oxford in my initial comment - just be aware that while Oxford requires AAA, and would offer you AAA if you were to get an offer, many will be predicted and be expecting higher. It's just sort of Oxford's strategy to have lower entry requirements; Cambridge requires A*AA-A*A*A* for Law, depending on the college, yet they attract the same standard of applicant.

An A*AA prediction would make your application to Oxford stronger, but I still wouldn't particularly recommend getting a prediction you're not sure you'd get, as it's a prediction, after all, rather than a target. A great LNAT score would also help your application stand out, on a separate note, so I'd recommend prepping a lot for that (but it really isn't as painful as it seems!).

It's ultimately up to you and your teachers, but my main point is don't think Oxford has the same level of competition as QMUL etc. just because it requires AAA.
I'd say go for the A* if you can. Every little helps to make you stand out
Thank you for all the replies! Already studying for an A*AA. Hope my prediction will reflect that. Also need to start practising for LNAT. Any good websites? The official one has only two practice papers.

Btw, may I please know which uni you go to, what your offers were and what you achieved?
Btw, may I please know which uni you go to, what your offer was and what you achieved?

I ended up with five offers - York, Warwick, Newcastle (all AAA), Birmingham, and Leicester (both unconditional). I firmed York for AAA and achieved A*A*A. I then transferred degree to Politics a few weeks into first year as I realised Law wasn't for me, but for what it's worth I really liked York's method of teaching Law through Problem Based Learning.
It is obvious, the higher your predicted grades, the higher your chances for an offer. Universities should be accepting the best candidates for the course.
I ended up with five offers - York, Warwick, Newcastle (all AAA), Birmingham, and Leicester (both unconditional). I firmed York for AAA and achieved A*A*A. I then transferred degree to Politics a few weeks into first year as I realised Law wasn't for me, but for what it's worth I really liked York's method of teaching Law through Problem Based Learning.

Hnmm. But why didn't you go to Warwick, which seems the best out of the bunch? May I inbox you regarding a few queries I have?
Hnmm. But why didn't you go to Warwick, which seems the best out of the bunch? May I inbox you regarding a few queries I have?

I found Warwick's campus to be a little too isolated on the open day, whereas York is a lot closer to the city centre (and is taught via PBL). I was torn between York, Warwick and Newcastle for months and eventually figured I'd rather go to the place where I'd be happiest studying, in spite of the slightly lesser reputation.

And sure, that'd be fine - it's been nearly two years since I studied Law so won't necessarily be of too much help, but I'll do what I can!
(edited 5 years ago)
I found Warwick's campus to be a little too isolated on the open day, whereas York is a lot closer to the city centre (and is taught via PBL). I was torn between York, Warwick and Newcastle for months and eventually figured I'd rather go to the place where I'd be happiest studying, in spite of the slightly lesser reputation.

And sure, that'd be fine - it's been nearly two years since I studied Law so won't necessarily be of too much help, but I'll do what I can!

Hnmm. Still a bit surprised you didn't apply to London unis, Nottingham, Manchester, Oxbridge, etc. Although I'm sure you are very happy at York, which is a very good uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending