The Student Room Group

Re-applying to uni after Retaking A2

Hi guys,

I’ve got a real problem. My A2 grades were miles off what I was expecting... For my IGCSEs I got 9 A*/As. Performed pretty well throughout 6th form with acceptable AS maths grades. My predicted grades were 3A*s in Maths Chem Physics and an A in further maths and received offers from Bristol, kcl and ucl, but during the Easter of my A2 exams there was a family incident where I needed to spend a lot of time away from my revision. In the end my a level results were absolutely terrible and I missed all offers by quite a lot. I know that I can get my predicted grade next year through retakes but am just worried that now that my actual a levels are on my application, I won’t be able to get any offers from those unis.

What should I do? Should I even bother with reapplying?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cj2000430
Hi guys,

I’ve got a real problem. My A2 grades were miles off what I was expecting... For my IGCSEs I got 9 A*/As. Performed pretty well throughout 6th form with acceptable AS maths grades. My predicted grades were 3A*s in Maths Chem Physics and an A in further maths and received offers from Bristol, kcl and ucl, but during the Easter of my A2 exams there was a family incident where I needed to spend a lot of time away from my revision. In the end my a level results were absolutely terrible and I missed all offers by quite a lot. I know that I can get my predicted grade next year through retakes but am just worried that now that my actual a levels are on my application, I won’t be able to get any offers from those unis.

Make sure that your referee explains the reason you are retaking.
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot

Even if they do, would it be realistic to apply for unis such as UCL/KCL if I’ve missed their offers once?
Reply 3

Like I said there was an unexpected family incident in the run up to the exams... I don’t know if this is a reason to why my grades are bad or why I’m retaking
Even if they do, would it be realistic to apply for unis such as UCL/KCL if I’ve missed their offers once?

It might depend on the subject. For economics at UCL it's a no but other departments are fine, I believe. Ask directly before applying.
Like I said there was an unexpected family incident in the run up to the exams... I don’t know if this is a reason to why my grades are bad or why I’m retaking

True, but it's worth bringing to their attention as a potentially externuating circumstance.
Reply 6
It might depend on the subject. For economics at UCL it's a no but other departments are fine, I believe. Ask directly before applying.

I applied for physics this year, and was offered AAA which I missed significantly but I know that by the next a levels I will be able to get around A*A*AA. I’m thinking to apply for a less subscribed course so I have a better chance of getting an offer. Would that change anything?
I applied for physics this year, and was offered AAA which I missed significantly but I know that by the next a levels I will be able to get around A*A*AA. I’m thinking to apply for a less subscribed course so I have a better chance of getting an offer. Would that change anything?

It probably would but A*A*AA predictions might be enough. What's the alternative course? Best thing is to ask them.
Reply 8
It probably would but A*A*AA predictions might be enough. What's the alternative course? Best thing is to ask them.

I’ll get 3A* and an A predicted, it was what I was predicted this year. I was thinking something like medical physics where their requirement was AAB this year?
I’ll get 3A* and an A predicted, it was what I was predicted this year. I was thinking something like medical physics where their requirement was AAB this year?

Would you be happy paying £50k for something you don't really want?

You could leave your fifth choice free, see if UCL give you a physics offer, if not then add their medical physics course.
Hi guys,

been there, done that.

retake and reapply, universities don't care as much as you think. i got offers from ucl, warwick, bristol and nottingham in my retake year with a rejection from oxford bc of the MAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
been there, done that.

retake and reapply, universities don't care as much as you think. i got offers from ucl, warwick, bristol and nottingham in my retake year with a rejection from oxford bc of the MAT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

same here,

they really dont care all that much
Reply 12
Original post by Princepieman
been there, done that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? That’s great! Were your first set of alevels close to the requirements though because mine are kind of far...
Reply 13
Would you be happy paying £50k for something you don't really want?

You could leave your fifth choice free, see if UCL give you a physics offer, if not then add their medical physics course.

Sorry I’m slightly confused where the 50k came from... I’m going to be retaking as an individual. Definitely not going to go to sixth form again...
Reply 14
Original post by MathMan+C
same here,

they really dont care all that much

Were your first set of a levels close to the course requirements? Because mine are kind of far and I’m really worried...
Sorry I’m slightly confused where the 50k came from... I’m going to be retaking as an individual. Definitely not going to go to sixth form again...

It's the rough 'cost' of a degree.
Reply 16
It's the rough 'cost' of a degree.

Oh... I see but I’m going to go to uni anyways just depends on where, so the cost is going to be roughly the same everywhere I go and I’ve kinda had my mind set on London unis...
Oh... I see but I’m going to go to uni anyways just depends on where, so the cost is going to be roughly the same everywhere I go and I’ve kinda had my mind set on London unis...

My point is that you shouldn't just apply to any old course if you really want to study something else.
Reply 18
My point is that you shouldn't just apply to any old course if you really want to study something else.

I think medical physics isn’t that bad of a course as it’s something I’ve kind of thought about doing... of course I’d prefer if I was just doing physics but if it’s the only way to get an offer then I think it might be worth a try
Really? That’s great! Were your first set of alevels close to the requirements though because mine are kind of far...

definitely not

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending