The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, people go up and down the carriage to inspect the ticket.

But they aren’t gonna stop you and say “Uhm this ticket says child and you look slightly older show me ID now”
Nah you'll be fine as long as you don't look too old. As long as you have a ticket you're fine
Reply 3
Original post by bluemuffin
Nah you'll be fine as long as you don't look too old. As long as you have a ticket you're fine

I asked some of my friends how old I looked to them, some said 16/17 and others said 14/15. If I do get caught what will happen? I heard that you have to pay a minimum fine there and then but I won’t have enough money to pay the minimum charge.
Original post by Leahmitch
I asked some of my friends how old I looked to them, some said 16/17 and others said 14/15. If I do get caught what will happen? I heard that you have to pay a minimum fine there and then but I won’t have enough money to pay the minimum charge.

I don't know what happens if you get caught unfortunately, some kind of fine probably. Most of the time I use my 11-15 Oyster card which legit expires in a month but if I buy a ticket I'll sometimes buy a kids one (I'm 16) but I have a baby face it's unlikely I'd get caught
Reply 5
Original post by bluemuffin
I don't know what happens if you get caught unfortunately, some kind of fine probably. Most of the time I use my 11-15 Oyster card which legit expires in a month but if I buy a ticket I'll sometimes buy a kids one (I'm 16) but I have a baby face it's unlikely I'd get caught

Do you think there’s anything I can do to look a bit younger? Like no wearing wearing or something.
I did this at the age of 17 and the carriage guy was so patronising. He asked me for my date of birth/ why I was travelling and then kept standing there staring. I don’t even look that old??

I suggest no makeup and not looking put together.. I don’t look old I swear but he was sooo intimidating that I got home and purchased a railcard so I could just buy adult tickets
Reply 7
Original post by Lechatn0ir
I did this at the age of 17 and the carriage guy was so patronising. He asked me for my date of birth/ why I was travelling and then kept standing there staring. I don’t even look that old??

I suggest no makeup and not looking put together.. I don’t look old I swear but he was sooo intimidating that I got home and purchased a railcard so I could just buy adult tickets

I got a child ticket last time and an inspector on a train looked at my ticket and asked how old I was and I just said I was 15 and he walked away but I’m too scared to do it again😂 I’ll probably just buy the child ticket. Do you know how much the minimum penalty fare is if I was to get caught?
I've been buying a child ticket for months (16, but I wear makeup and have been told I look 18+, esp when I go out with my baby sister). The trick is, have a fake birthday on hand and be able to say it very confidently when they ask. Second, if it's a long route and they ask where you're going and why, have a logical excuse, along with someone you're meeting (eg. I'm coming back from my grandma's and meeting my dad at the station.) The more "childlike" the reason, the more likely the conductor will assume you're telling the truth and move along. Also, a lot of 12-15 year olds honestly look 17+ nowadays so I wouldn't worry too much. When I got a bus at 12 (first time by myself), I didn't specify that I wanted a child ticket and the driver sold me an adult one...

edit: forgot to add, be confident. although younger teens can mumble/be shy, this definitely gives off the impression you're lying. you can also set your medical ID on your phone to say you're 15 and if they ask for proof of ID, show this instead of a real ID (which is pretty legit, as a 15 year old doesn't have a driving licence or anything).
(edited 5 years ago)
I got a child ticket last time and an inspector on a train looked at my ticket and asked how old I was and I just said I was 15 and he walked away but I’m too scared to do it again😂 I’ll probably just buy the child ticket. Do you know how much the minimum penalty fare is if I was to get caught?

It's £20 or the full single fare to the next station at which the train stops - whichever is greater. Personally, mate, I don't think it's worth it; you might very well get away with it but if you don't you'll have to fork over a lot more money than if you just purchased an adult ticket. Do you have a 16-25 railcard? They give you 33% off on any train ticket!
Why don't you just get an adult ticket?
Reply 11
Original post by cindyclark46
I've been buying a child ticket for months (16, but I wear makeup and have been told I look 18+, esp when I go out with my baby sister). The trick is, have a fake birthday on hand and be able to say it very confidently when they ask. Second, if it's a long route and they ask where you're going and why, have a logical excuse, along with someone you're meeting (eg. I'm coming back from my grandma's and meeting my dad at the station.) The more "childlike" the reason, the more likely the conductor will assume you're telling the truth and move along. Also, a lot of 12-15 year olds honestly look 17+ nowadays so I wouldn't worry too much. When I got a bus at 12 (first time by myself), I didn't specify that I wanted a child ticket and the driver sold me an adult one...

edit: forgot to add, be confident. although younger teens can mumble/be shy, this definitely gives off the impression you're lying. you can also set your medical ID on your phone to say you're 15 and if they ask for proof of ID, show this instead of a real ID (which is pretty legit, as a 15 year old doesn't have a driving licence or anything).

Thank you. I feel a lot more confident now! Hopefully I’ll be able to pull it off
Reply 12
Original post by bones-mccoy
Why don't you just get an adult ticket?

Because I’ll only be in stoke for a couple of hours and it’s £21.70 for an adult
Reply 13
Original post by SpacePatroFan189
It's £20 or the full single fare to the next station at which the train stops - whichever is greater. Personally, mate, I don't think it's worth it; you might very well get away with it but if you don't you'll have to fork over a lot more money than if you just purchased an adult ticket. Do you have a 16-25 railcard? They give you 33% off on any train ticket!

I’m planning on getting a railcard after my trip to stoke. I know getting an adult ticket is the best thing to do but I’d be paying £21.70 and that doesn’t seem right for a 16 year old to be paying
A couple of weeks ago my friend did this. She looks really young (mistaken as 12 before) and she's 19. Got asked and was told to phone her mum (who she didn't tell about this so she didn't phone her). She then got fined £100 (price of the adult ticket I believe) aswell as her child ticket of course. This was on an East Midlands train.
Reply 15
Original post by chickenfajitas
A couple of weeks ago my friend did this. She looks really young (mistaken as 12 before) and she's 19. Got asked and was told to phone her mum (who she didn't tell about this so she didn't phone her). She then got fined £100 (price of the adult ticket I believe) aswell as her child ticket of course. This was on an East Midlands train.

£100😦😦😦. Do you think I could save someone else’s number as mum and ring them if I get caught?
Reply 16
Just say you're 15. Make up a birthday and have a story prepared. Say you're going to see your grandma or something.
£100😦😦😦. Do you think I could save someone else’s number as mum and ring them if I get caught?

I know it's mad.. that's why she went for the child's ticket. Bare in mind she did this ALL the time, and she goes on trains a lot... must of been on 90 trains last year as a child. Only got caught once. She's getting a rail card now because she was petrified of the experience. I did tell her why she didn't put me down as her mum in her contacts bc I would've gone along with it.. but she said the person was looking at the phone the whole time (if you do it, do it in advance and give them a heads up!). It seems like a plan.. I couldn't think of anything else they could do if they don't believe you're the child of the caller - just make sure you use someone who can think on the spot (and tell them where ur going and why bc I bet they would ask that). Good luck
Reply 18
Original post by katf
Just say you're 15. Make up a birthday and have a story prepared. Say you're going to see your grandma or something.

I feel like it’s easier said then done but I’m just gonna get the child ticket and pray I don’t get caught. Would having an e ticket( mobile ticket) make it lessen the chances of getting caught caught?
Reply 19
Original post by chickenfajitas
I know it's mad.. that's why she went for the child's ticket. Bare in mind she did this ALL the time, and she goes on trains a lot... must of been on 90 trains last year as a child. Only got caught once. She's getting a rail card now because she was petrified of the experience. I did tell her why she didn't put me down as her mum in her contacts bc I would've gone along with it.. but she said the person was looking at the phone the whole time (if you do it, do it in advance and give them a heads up!). It seems like a plan.. I couldn't think of anything else they could do if they don't believe you're the child of the caller - just make sure you use someone who can think on the spot (and tell them where ur going and why bc I bet they would ask that). Good luck

I’ll ask one of my cousins to cover for me😂 hopefully it goes well

Latest