The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Uni of Sheffield - Leadmill Point

Hey, I'm looking into accommodation to start at Sheffield the next academic year and liked the look of Leadmil point. I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a good accommodation for the social aspect though? Thanks!
Original post by Washington88
Hey, I'm looking into accommodation to start at Sheffield the next academic year and liked the look of Leadmil point. I was wondering if anyone knew if this is a good accommodation for the social aspect though? Thanks!

Close to the Leadmill if you like music concerts, but imo if you are at the uni then I would be more towards the university as this is closer to Sheffield Hallam.
Are you being offered Sheffield Uni halls or does living with a load of freshers not appeal?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by 999tigger
Close to the Leadmill if you like music concerts, but imo if you are at the uni then I would be more towards the university as this is closer to Sheffield Hallam.
Are you being offered Sheffield Uni halls or does living with a load of freshers not appeal?

I'm happy living with freshers but I was under the impression leadmill point was uni of halls too?? It said on the website when I was looking that uni of students could live there too, and I also assumed it would mainly be freshers there anywy
I'm happy living with freshers but I was under the impression leadmill point was uni of halls too?? It said on the website when I was looking that uni of students could live there too, and I also assumed it would mainly be freshers there anywy

I think you misunderstand. I am just querying why a university of Sheffield student would live in that location when you could live much loser and with other Uni of Sheffield students rather than Hallam. It is 5 mins from Hallam, but more like 25-30 minutes from SU? there are closer halls to the Uni of Sheffield campus private or otherwise.

I made reference to Freshers because normally freshers go into uni of Sheffield owned accommodation [not all] so I was wondering why you didnt choose that option?

Ps am sure Unite dont mind where its money comes from but id expect more students by far are from Hallam.
(edited 5 years ago)
I think you misunderstand. I am just querying why a university of Sheffield student would live in that location when you could live much loser and with other Uni of Sheffield students rather than Hallam. It is 5 mins from Hallam, but more like 25-30 minutes from SU? there are closer halls to the Uni of Sheffield campus private or otherwise.

I made reference to Freshers because normally freshers go into uni of Sheffield owned accommodation [not all] so I was wondering why you didnt choose that option?

Ps am sure Unite dont mind where its money comes from but id expect more students by far are from Hallam.

Ohh fair enough I get you now haha, basically because I'm applying so late a lot of accommodation options aren't available anymore, and this seemed to be in a good location because its closer to a lot of the clubs and I don't really mind a 20-25 minute to the uni in the morning. Also this was one of the cheapest and seemed to be the most lively halls which is why I was interested in it at first
Ohh fair enough I get you now haha, basically because I'm applying so late a lot of accommodation options aren't available anymore, and this seemed to be in a good location because its closer to a lot of the clubs and I don't really mind a 20-25 minute to the uni in the morning. Also this was one of the cheapest and seemed to be the most lively halls which is why I was interested in it at first

Have the uni been unable to offer you anything? I will take that as a no due to late application.
Sometimes they have late cancellations.

Ask on the Sheffield Hallam sub forum if anyone has lived there. It has mixed reviews on studentcrowd.
It is close to the Leadmill, which is more like a live music venue sort of club, train station and the Sheffield Hallam SU.
https://www.leadmill.co.uk/
Use google maps to have a scroll around..

Once you sign a contract then they will insist you are bound for the whole year.
If possible unless the place is amazing and what you want then id suggest getting somewhere temp and go to Sheffield
, then have a look around so you get the right balance of location, amenities and price that suits. Sheffield has plenty of good value accommodation.
Id rather have a good quality room and be closer to the things I need most than worrying about being close to nightclubs.
I'd want the uni, the student union [Sheffield has one of the best] shops and maybe pubs and bars. For Sheffield i would suggest that is more up towards West Street.
You might also get cancellations.

Get the opinions of some Sheffield students.
Have the uni been unable to offer you anything? I will take that as a no due to late application.
Sometimes they have late cancellations.

Ask on the Sheffield Hallam sub forum if anyone has lived there. It has mixed reviews on studentcrowd.
It is close to the Leadmill, which is more like a live music venue sort of club, train station and the Sheffield Hallam SU.
https://www.leadmill.co.uk/
Use google maps to have a scroll around..

Once you sign a contract then they will insist you are bound for the whole year.
If possible unless the place is amazing and what you want then id suggest getting somewhere temp and go to Sheffield
, then have a look around so you get the right balance of location, amenities and price that suits. Sheffield has plenty of good value accommodation.
Id rather have a good quality room and be closer to the things I need most than worrying about being close to nightclubs.
I'd want the uni, the student union [Sheffield has one of the best] shops and maybe pubs and bars. For Sheffield i would suggest that is more up towards West Street.
You might also get cancellations.

Get the opinions of some Sheffield students.

I actually live in Sheffield and have done most of my life so I decided based on that that I would prefer that specific accommodation but just wanted to know if the actual building itself was particularly social, so thanks for the link to the hallam forum I'll put a post up there :smile:
I actually live in Sheffield and have done most of my life so I decided based on that that I would prefer that specific accommodation but just wanted to know if the actual building itself was particularly social, so thanks for the link to the hallam forum I'll put a post up there :smile:

If you live then I thought you would know. I was getting the impression you were an international student. Wish you would have said.
I wouldnt live down there too quite and not enough life.
If you live then I thought you would know. I was getting the impression you were an international student. Wish you would have said.
I wouldnt live down there too quite and not enough life.

Okay cheers, any other accommodation you'd specifically recommend??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending