The Student Room Group

GYG 2018/19: I got into University! Now what?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Incredibly well done for working hard to get where you are right now - raising grades are so much harder during A Level than say, GCSE, (especially in a science subject) so the fact that you managed to do that is really great! A2 will get tough but the main thing to do is just persevere and keep ploughing through the content, making sure you understand everything completely before moving on (check this by doing practice questions). Keep on working hard and persuade your teacher you're capable because you've got this! :hugs:

Thank you so much! That was really inspirational:hugs:
tag me - excited to follow thisss xx
Original post by nyxnko_
Okay then, I'll stop :tongue:

Man, that would have taken some strength, you should be proud :tongue:
Original post by Shadowdraconis
Thank you so much! That was really inspirational

Your absolute welcome! :smile: :heart:

Original post by Lilsthebest
tag me - excited to follow thisss xx

WIll doooo! :hugs: :heart:
Man, that would have taken some strength, you should be proud :tongue:

Not really :laugh: It just so happened that I closed the tab holding the BBCode thingy and I couldn't be bothered to open it up again :tongue:
Original post by nyxnko_
Not really :laugh: It just so happened that I closed the tab holding the BBCode thingy and I couldn't be bothered to open it up again :tongue:

:laugh:
Uni Preparation #2

Unexpected Holiday
Due to me panicking about my expiring air miles, I hastily booked my plane tickets for Christmas a couple days ago, without properly checking when my accommodation was supposed to kick me out :lol: Today I was looking over the page on the St Andrews website for my hall, and I found some important dates I should've found before :facepalm: Luckily my inbound flight back to St Andrews after the holidays is okay, but it turns out that my halls kick me out on the 22nd December, and my outbound flight is not until the 24th! I was reluctant to change my flight because of having to pay a £60 service fee, so decided to travel to and stay in Edinburgh for the last 2 days before I go back home!

Today I just booked my hotel which was surprisingly cheap considering it's right in the centre of Edinburgh, and planned out what transport I'd take to get from St Andrews to Edinburgh, and from the Edinburgh City Centre to Edinburgh Airport on the 24th. I also started looking up things to do in Edinburgh, the main thing being that I want to visit the Christmas markets, so extremely excited about that! It will be a nice period of time after my Martinmas Semester exams when I can just spend some time to relax alone before coming back to family for Christmas. You're probably thinking I'm crazy for delaying seeing my family after my first semester at uni for even longer, but I guess I just am thought I might as well make the most out of this foolish mistake :colondollar:

Stationery Shopping
I also went on a highly unnecessary shopping trip today! :colondollar: Since January, I've been talking about going on a very long awaited, stationery shop with another friend who is as highly obsessed with buying stationery as I am, so we thought now was the best time before we go off to uni :lol: I tried to restrain myself because honestly, I have so much stationery sitting in my stationery drawer already (because it's all too pretty/cute to use) and I'm going to have very limited space to pack and store things in my uni room. But, since I had a £5 Kikki.K gift voucher, I had an excuse to buy some things! :woo: I also intended to pick up some last uni homeware bits as I've already been to IKEA so I had very little left to buy, but there's no Wilko or Poundland/world in St Andrews so it was kinda necessary :colondollar: However, I didn't end up finding anything I needed, so left it at that.

Here's a little overview of what I bought today!

The daily study notes thing was £4.75, and the CUTE ADORABLE mini monthly desk calendar on sale was 50p (basically didn't want to lose the extra 25p/just get one thing/have any self control) so I ended up paying just 25p in total for these two things! Also, even though the mini calendar is only for 2018, the cards still have cute quotes on the other side, so I was thinking I could still keep it on my desk and use it as a cute source of motivation/inspiration instead! I also picked up a free colouring print-out (that got a bit crumpled in my bag oops) because I'm still a child, so pretty proud of myself for spending just 25p on stationery today! I also managed to finally sign up for a Paperchase loyalty card because I visit that store way too many times :lol:

Then when I was about to walk back home from the train station, my dad rung me up and said we could order Domino's, but I only realised after hanging up that because I was picking up the pizza, I had to pay :lol: But pizza :love: so it's okay! We ended up getting a Collection Deal, so a large pizza (I ended up ordering half and half, one of the halves having pineapple on because YES PINEAPPLE LIVES ON PIZZA AND YES I LOVE IT), garlic bread, potato wedges, and a large bottle of drink for £15. I guess dinner was on me today? :confused:

I think I'm gonna go and mentally recover from the massive dent in my bank account now :colondollar: Thanks for reading! :heart:

Tags :woo: Please tell me if you'd like to be added/removed :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Stationery :gah:
And yes pineapple does belong on pizza, it's pretty much the only place it's acceptable :yep:
All that for £15 isn't bad :noway: I'm sort of glad I'm still at the stage my parents pay me back though (spent £120 for them yesterday so that would have been :eek:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
how very exciting!

and dominos :love:
Original post by Lemur14
Stationery :gah:
And yes pineapple does belong on pizza, it's pretty much the only place it's acceptable :yep:
All that for £15 isn't bad :noway: I'm sort of glad I'm still at the stage my parents pay me back though (spent £120 for them yesterday so that would have been :eek:)

Yesss :lovedup:
That's true! It could've been way worse, and the fact that it filled us all right up means it was pretty worth it! Ahaha honestly now that I'm 18 and moving to uni, my family are enjoying taking full advantage of that :lol: But wowee £120 :zomg:
Original post by clouddbubbles
how very exciting!
and dominos :love:

Indeed! :h:
:pizza:i:pizza:k:pizza:r:pizza:?
Yesss :lovedup:
That's true! It could've been way worse, and the fact that it filled us all right up means it was pretty worth it! Ahaha honestly now that I'm 18 and moving to uni, my family are enjoying taking full advantage of that :lol: But wowee £120 :zomg:

Nice :yep: I'm sure my family will take advantage of it next year but for now it's good! That was a food shop and 3/4 of a tank of petrol so not too bad (except it was only food for like 4 days so I probably brought too many extras :getmecoat:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uni Preparation #2

Unexpected Holiday
Due to me panicking about my expiring air miles, I hastily booked my plane tickets for Christmas a couple days ago, without properly checking when my accommodation was supposed to kick me out :lol: Today I was looking over the page on the St Andrews website for my hall, and I found some important dates I should've found before :facepalm: Luckily my inbound flight back to St Andrews after the holidays is okay, but it turns out that my halls kick me out on the 22nd December, and my outbound flight is not until the 24th! I was reluctant to change my flight because of having to pay a £60 service fee, so decided to travel to and stay in Edinburgh for the last 2 days before I go back home!

Today I just booked my hotel which was surprisingly cheap considering it's right in the centre of Edinburgh, and planned out what transport I'd take to get from St Andrews to Edinburgh, and from the Edinburgh City Centre to Edinburgh Airport on the 24th. I also started looking up things to do in Edinburgh, the main thing being that I want to visit the Christmas markets, so extremely excited about that! It will be a nice period of time after my Martinmas Semester exams when I can just spend some time to relax alone before coming back to family for Christmas. You're probably thinking I'm crazy for delaying seeing my family after my first semester at uni for even longer, but I guess I just am thought I might as well make the most out of this foolish mistake :colondollar:

Stationery Shopping
I also went on a highly unnecessary shopping trip today! :colondollar: Since January, I've been talking about going on a very long awaited, stationery shop with another friend who is as highly obsessed with buying stationery as I am, so we thought now was the best time before we go off to uni :lol: I tried to restrain myself because honestly, I have so much stationery sitting in my stationery drawer already (because it's all too pretty/cute to use) and I'm going to have very limited space to pack and store things in my uni room. But, since I had a £5 Kikki.K gift voucher, I had an excuse to buy some things! :woo: I also intended to pick up some last uni homeware bits as I've already been to IKEA so I had very little left to buy, but there's no Wilko or Poundland/world in St Andrews so it was kinda necessary :colondollar: However, I didn't end up finding anything I needed, so left it at that.

Here's a little overview of what I bought today!

The daily study notes thing was £4.75, and the CUTE ADORABLE mini monthly desk calendar on sale was 50p (basically didn't want to lose the extra 25p/just get one thing/have any self control) so I ended up paying just 25p in total for these two things! Also, even though the mini calendar is only for 2018, the cards still have cute quotes on the other side, so I was thinking I could still keep it on my desk and use it as a cute source of motivation/inspiration instead! I also picked up a free colouring print-out (that got a bit crumpled in my bag oops) because I'm still a child, so pretty proud of myself for spending just 25p on stationery today! I also managed to finally sign up for a Paperchase loyalty card because I visit that store way too many times :lol:

Then when I was about to walk back home from the train station, my dad rung me up and said we could order Domino's, but I only realised after hanging up that because I was picking up the pizza, I had to pay :lol: But pizza :love: so it's okay! We ended up getting a Collection Deal, so a large pizza (I ended up ordering half and half, one of the halves having pineapple on because YES PINEAPPLE LIVES ON PIZZA AND YES I LOVE IT), garlic bread, potato wedges, and a large bottle of drink for £15. I guess dinner was on me today? :confused:

I think I'm gonna go and mentally recover from the massive dent in my bank account now :colondollar: Thanks for reading! :heart:

Spoiler

Not sure if you'll be back from your holiday by then, but Edinburgh's Hogmanay celebrations are always pretty spectacular- there's the torchlight procession, concerts and the big street party (yes, the celebrations last a few days rather than a few hours, hence the need we Scots have for the extra bank holiday day off after New Year :giggle:)
But definitely visit the Christmas markets! :smile:

But pineapple + pizza= No :no:
Original post by Lemur14
Nice :yep: I'm sure my family will take advantage of it next year but for now it's good! That was a food shop and 3/4 of a tank of petrol so not too bad (except it was only food for like 4 days so I probably brought too many extras :getmecoat:)

Ahah enjoy it while it lasts :h: I'm going to be buying sooo many extras when I have to grocery shop at uni - I should probably consider factoring that into my budget because of how certain I am that it will inevitably happen :lol:
Ahah enjoy it while it lasts :h: I'm going to be buying sooo many extras when I have to grocery shop at uni - I should probably consider factoring that into my budget because of how certain I am that it will inevitably happen :lol:

That is totally me... You should definitely factor in some leeway to your budget (however, perhaps not as much as you might think as otherwise you'll feel the need to add more so as to 'keep' to budget... Otherwise known as using it all up :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
oooh can I be tagged?:gah:
The maths content you’re going to learn sounds so interesting:wink:
Original post by Labrador99
Not sure if you'll be back from your holiday by then, but Edinburgh's Hogmanay celebrations are always pretty spectacular- there's the torchlight procession, concerts and the big street party (yes, the celebrations last a few days rather than a few hours, hence the need we Scots have for the extra bank holiday day off after New Year :giggle:)
But definitely visit the Christmas markets! :smile:

But pineapple + pizza= No :no:

Unfortunately I'll be back in England then, otherwise I would totally go because it certainly looks and sounds spectacular! Maybe something to consider for next year :cute:

pineapple + pizza = big yes :excited:

Spoiler

Unfortunately I'll be back in England then, otherwise I would totally go because it certainly looks and sounds spectacular! Maybe something to consider for next year :cute:

pineapple + pizza = big yes :excited:

Spoiler

Aah, yeah plenty of future years! :smile: Torchlight was great last year, and am really looking forward to doing it again this year :smile:

:no: Pineapple= :smile:, Pizza= :smile: Pineapple +pizza = :k:yuck
Think we will need to agree to disagree on this divisive issue :lol:
Original post by Lemur14
That is totally me... You should definitely factor in some leeway to your budget (however, perhaps not as much as you might think as otherwise you'll feel the need to add more so as to 'keep' to budget... Otherwise known as using it all up :tongue:)

Considering I'm a maths student and thus expected to be good with numbers, let's hope for the best that it will not happen :redface:

Spoiler

Original post by Toastiekid
oooh can I be tagged?:gah:
The maths content you’re going to learn sounds so interesting:wink:

Yesss just added you! Welcome to the dark side. :h: :heart: Very excited for those maths modules! :excited:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Labrador99
Aah, yeah plenty of future years! :smile: Torchlight was great last year, and am really looking forward to doing it again this year :smile:

:no: Pineapple= :smile:, Pizza= :smile: Pineapple +pizza = :k:yuck
Think we will need to agree to disagree on this divisive issue :lol:

It looks absolutely amazing! Definitely putting it on my bucket list! :h:

That is probably a sensible idea, let's leave it here for now :grin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending