The Student Room Group

GYG 2018/19: I got into University! Now what?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gcsemusicsucks
It looks absolutely amazing! Definitely putting it on my bucket list! :h:

That is probably a sensible idea, let's leave it here for now :grin:

:h:

:giggle:
Considering I'm a maths student and thus expected to be good with numbers, let's hope for the best that it will not happen :redface:

Spoiler

Yesss just added you! Welcome to the dark side. :h: :heart: Very excited for those maths modules! :excited:

Thank you:hugs:
Did I just spot some kikki k stationery?
:gah: their study planner helped so much with GCSEs:woo:
Considering I'm a maths student and thus expected to be good with numbers, let's hope for the best that it will not happen :redface:

Spoiler

:

Maybe it's just me but maths always feels theoretical and therefore wouldn't make me any better at budgeting...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Maybe it's just me but maths always feels theoretical and therefore wouldn't make me any better at budgeting...

Me but with mental arithmetic :lol: For some reason, the more I show interest in maths, the worse my mental arithmetic gets and the more my brain shuts down :colondollar:
Me but with mental arithmetic :lol: For some reason, the more I show interest in maths, the worse my mental arithmetic gets and the more my brain shuts down :colondollar:

Oh dear :lol: Thinking about it mind's been getting worse this year too (and not through lack of practise either :confused:
Original post by Toastiekid
Thank you:hugs:
Did I just spot some kikki k stationery?
:gah: their study planner helped so much with GCSEs:woo:

Your welcome! :smile: And yesss, their stationery is so so nice! :yep: The study planner is literally perfect and their aesthetically pleasing designs make it even more perfect! I try to restrain myself from buying too much there though because money :colondollar: But January sales here I come! :yeah:
Original post by Lemur14
Oh dear :lol: Thinking about it mind's been getting worse this year too (and not through lack of practise either :confused:

It's strange isn't it? Sometimes I think it's just because the more I learn, the more my brain has to make room for new information so it starts forgetting how to do simple calculations, or maybe it's just getting tired and overwhelmed :unsure: Who knows? :dontknow: Slightly worried that because of this, I'm becoming more reliant on calculators :innocent:
It's strange isn't it? Sometimes I think it's just because the more I learn, the more my brain has to make room for new information so it starts forgetting how to do simple calculations, or maybe it's just getting tired and overwhelmed :unsure: Who knows? :dontknow: Slightly worried that because of this, I'm becoming more reliant on calculators :innocent:

Yeah the number of weird mistakes I should never make but did in my exams was ridiculous :eek: And my brain never seems to remember this so I forget to use a calculator :facepalm: Although yes I'm also quite reliant on mine for certain things :colondollar:
Original post by Lemur14
Yeah the number of weird mistakes I should never make but did in my exams was ridiculous :eek: And my brain never seems to remember this so I forget to use a calculator :facepalm: Although yes I'm also quite reliant on mine for certain things :colondollar:

100% relatable! Silly mistakes were my nemesis during Maths A Level No doubt that this will continue throughout uni maths
100% relatable! Silly mistakes were my nemesis during Maths A Level No doubt that this will continue throughout uni maths

:five: And no doubt it will continue for me next year...
Here I am hoping to start a masters in Utrecht.
Original post by Lemur14
:five: And no doubt it will continue for me next year...

Silly mistake squad! :woo:

Original post by Other_Owl
Here I am hoping to start a masters in Utrecht.

Oooh Utrecht in The Netherlands? That's exciting! What will you be studying?
Your welcome! :smile: And yesss, their stationery is so so nice! :yep: The study planner is literally perfect and their aesthetically pleasing designs make it even more perfect! I try to restrain myself from buying too much there though because money :colondollar: But January sales here I come! :yeah:

yAsss:gah: hhaha sAMe:woo:
Pizza :drool: and that calendar is so cute! :love:
Original post by laurawatt
Pizza :drool: and that calendar is so cute! :love:

:yep: And I know right?! Love it so much! :h: :heart:
Oooh Utrecht in The Netherlands? That's exciting! What will you be studying?

Marine Science-EU nationals get the domestic fees.
Original post by Other_Owl
Marine Science-EU nationals get the domestic fees.

Oh cool! :smile:
well done on such great results and good luck for this next step - eeek you're going to be great xx
Original post by Anon_98
well done on such great results and good luck for this next step - eeek you're going to be great xx

Thank youuu! :heart: Well done and good luck to you too, you've been through so much so you should be so proud! :hugs: Let's hope so :colondollar:
???Random Project???

This is a bit random, and not really academic related, but I thought I'd tell you anyway just as a little extra-curricular side project thing :tongue: I don’t think I've seen any art on any other GYG blogs for a while now, (if someone knows of a GYG which features art of somewhat, please tell me because I'd be interested in following any) so I thought it would be quite interesting to post about it.

I was sorting through my old notebooks and sketchbooks, trying to make my room a little tidier for when I leave for uni, and I found this very old pink sketchbook, which I clearly remember my dad getting me from WHSmith, at least 8 years ago (I must have been in Year 4 or 5 when I got this) :cool:

I did the cringey deed of looking through it, and the majority of the drawings were drawn in pencil, and for some reason 'little me' thought it would be fun to press REALLY HARD when using the pencil so that I would not be able to rub it out afterwards :facepalm: I thought I'd share a couple pages with you -even though they are so cringey- so you get the full picture :embarrassed:

Another thing, was that only half the sketchbook was drawn in, so it felt like a waste not finishing the sketchbook. (Note: I have a really bad habit of starting a sketchbook/notebook/book/project/task/life and never finishing it.) Therefore, due to all the cringe, I decided to attempt to rub out most of the drawings whilst keeping some, either for the memories, or genuinely because I could not rub them out, because I wanted to restart using this sketchbook by turning it upside down and starting from the other side (so when I flick through, the cringey drawings won't be seen as easily, if that makes sense :colondollar: ).

I also tore some pages out because both sides were basically unusable, so I thought it was better to keep them some place else rather than ruin the aesthetic of the sketchbook and lose a couple more memories :lol: (Note: I don't normally get rid of old drawings, but this was an exception because I wanted to fully make use of the sketchbook again :tongue:) To mark which side was the front, I stuck a magazine cut-out of strawberries and cream because it had to be food because I love food :bigsmile:

I might have to also stick some things over the pages where I had pressed the pencil in so ridiculously hard that the cringey drawings are literally imprinted into the paper :hmmm::doh:

It's a cute pocket size (A6) so it would be easy to take it to uni, carry around and perhaps spend some spare time (which I know will definitely not exist, but here's naïve me thinking that it will? :dontknow:) doing a quick sketch or something to keep my very limited art skills up! Also because the pages are fairly small, filling a page up in a short amount of time will be fairly easy, so it's pretty ideal! I'm not planning on taking many art materials up to uni because of space, so my plan is to restrict myself to using a ballpoint pen, rather than having to use and carry pencils, erasers, pens, pencil sharpener, blending stumps etc.

I may post some photos of my random sketches from time to time, depending on whether I remember this is a thing and whether people would like to see it :redface: Also I think it's another thing that will perhaps help prove to myself that I can keep something up for a decent period of time :lol:

Anyway, this was so random but thanks for reading!

Tags :woo: Please tell me if you'd like to be added/removed :smile:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending