The Student Room Group

Are all computer science degree's equal?

Hi,
Unfortunately, due to a poor decision I did not take level mathematics, and am interested in Computer Science / Data Science / Applied mathematics. I was just wondering as to whether or not programmes that do not have subject requirements for Computer Science; are just as 'good' (in terms of mathematical content) as other computer science courses in the country that require maths. I am interested in computer science at Nottingham University; and it does have a module called Mathematics for Computer Scientists, and I'm just wondering whether or not this degree would give me the same mathematical grounding as other degrees in the country. If not, and this degree is simply a 'glorified IT' course, than I would probably just do a foundation year, and then pursue computer science at a different university. As I am maybe interested in postgraduate engineering, I really need there to be some sufficient advanced mathematics content, equal to other universities that require a-level mathematics for their degrees.
Reply 1
In terms of mathematical content, courses that don't require maths A-level will be less in-depth (and dare I say it, less prestigious). Obviously this is because they'll have to teach you all the maths that you would otherwise have learned at A-level. The question is whether you would prefer a more mathematical approach to a more applied/"practical" one
Original post by Takeonme44
Hi,
Unfortunately, due to a poor decision I did not take level mathematics, and am interested in Computer Science / Data Science / Applied mathematics. I was just wondering as to whether or not programmes that do not have subject requirements for Computer Science; are just as 'good' (in terms of mathematical content) as other computer science courses in the country that require maths. I am interested in computer science at Nottingham University; and it does have a module called Mathematics for Computer Scientists, and I'm just wondering whether or not this degree would give me the same mathematical grounding as other degrees in the country. If not, and this degree is simply a 'glorified IT' course, than I would probably just do a foundation year, and then pursue computer science at a different university. As I am maybe interested in postgraduate engineering, I really need there to be some sufficient advanced mathematics content, equal to other universities that require a-level mathematics for their degrees.

Most don’t require CS because they teach from the beginning and if maths isn’t required then they’ll just teach you what you need to know. On most uni websites you can click on the modules and see the exact content. Just try and look deeper rather than just the module names
hell no..

some of the lower ranked courses shouldn't even be called CS

some good departments have a practical CS slant and others a formal CS slant - really depends. the best of the best universities focus on the latter.

Nottingham is interesting in that even though they don't require maths a level you will still be bombarded with maths and they have maths tutorials/extra sessions to bring people up to speed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
hell no..

some of the lower ranked courses shouldn't even be called CS

some good departments have a practical CS slant and others a formal CS slant - really depends. the best of the best universities focus on the latter.

Nottingham is interesting in that even though they don't require maths a level you will still be bombarded with maths and they have maths tutorials/extra sessions to bring people up to speed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the course at Nottingham equal to a normal CS degree then, such as the one at Sheffield?
Is the course at Nottingham equal to a normal CS degree then, such as the one at Sheffield?

uh.. yeh, why would it not be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
uh.. yeh, why would it not be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it doesn't require maths, whereas Sheffield does.
Computer Science and Mathematics is I'd say the most "prestigious" of them.

Computer Science in its own is better than the more specific ones like Computer Systems Engineering and Data Science unless you're looking to go into something really specific.

A good theoretical background is priceless.
Reply 8
Original post by omarathon
Computer Science and Mathematics is I'd say the most "prestigious" of them.

Computer Science in its own is better than the more specific ones like Computer Systems Engineering and Data Science unless you're looking to go into something really specific.

A good theoretical background is priceless.

Would you mind looking at the course that Nottingham offers and telling me whether or not is is any good? Thanks.
Would you mind looking at the course that Nottingham offers and telling me whether or not is is any good? Thanks.

I put Nottingham Comp Sci as my insurance, it's a good course.
Original post by omarathon
I put Nottingham Comp Sci as my insurance, it's a good course.

Ah cool, would you also mind taking a look at the one newscastle does; I’m just worried about taking an inferior course.
Ah cool, would you also mind taking a look at the one newscastle does; I’m just worried about taking an inferior course.

Newcastle isn't as good as Nottingham; at least reputation-wise. I couldn't just look at the course and say it's "good", you'd need to go to open-days to properly gauge such things.

Newcastle falls into the more practical bucket but is still a good department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Hi,

Not at all, there are some pretty shocking 'CS' degrees out there, usually at low ranked unis that just hand out firsts and teach at a pretty low standard.

Nottingham is a great uni though, not sure why you think it isn't. There are plenty of unis that have high entry standards but do not require Maths A level, the course will probably still include loads of maths but you'll just have to adapt and study harder.
Nottingham is a great uni, and if you want to do CS and haven't done a maths A-Level you should definitely consider it along with places like Liverpool and Leeds. I know at Liverpool at least, they teach the maths needed for the course, along with some A-Level stuff (calculus etc), so I'm guessing this is also the case for Nottingham. You might be a bit behind other students there who have done A-Level maths, but you should still go if you want to do CS!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending