The Student Room Group

Pc gamer

Hey I’m new to pc gaming and I’ve never owned a pc would a ochw pc be any good for someone new like me to play games on and stream

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Georgialol
Hey I’m new to pc gaming and I’ve never owned a pc would a ochw pc be any good for someone new like me to play games on and stream

they're decent and look pretty cool ngl
have you considered building your own???
Reply 2
The thing about PC gaming is that it's very expensive compared to console gaming. OCHW PC's aren't bad for your first PC ever. They have decent specs and you could get one at the price of a PS4 or an Xbox One. But if you plan on playing triple-A games such as GTA 5, For Honor, Battlefield 1 and Destiny you'll be forced to play them at low to medium settings with low FPS which no gamer wants to do. If you also plan on streaming yourself playing the games OCHW PCs probably wouldn't be able to perform due to the rubbish CPUs, RAM and Graphics Cards these PCs have installed onto them.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest buying an OCHW PC as the specs on them aren't good if you plan on playing high-end games and streaming at the same time. If you want a good PC you'll have to roughly spend £600 depending on where and what specs you get. But if you build it yourself you could get one with £500 and have £100 to spare.
Original post by Phyx
The thing about PC gaming is that it's very expensive compared to console gaming.

I'd say they cost about the same, but console can be more expensive than PC.

A console is, let's say, £250 - £350.

A PC that plays the newest games in 1080p*on ultra settings** at at least 45 FPS if not 60 FPS*** can cost about £400.

But also consider if you want to play online year round on a console, that's something like £40 a year. PC is free.

Also PC games are cheaper, even before considering sales and discounts which mean you're crazy if you buy full price rather than 75% off. Although you can sell console games you've finished.

A console lasts perhaps 8 years, your PC might need only an upgrade or two in the same amount of time, which will be a lot less than the £350 you're spending on the next console you desire.

*"Full HD"
**"Super prettiest graphics"
***"Why does it look like real life and not like it's on TV?"
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ozzyoscy
I'd say they cost about the same, but console can be more expensive than PC.

A console is, let's say, £250 - £350.

A PC that plays the newest games in 1080p*on ultra settings** at at least 45 FPS if not 60 FPS*** can cost about £400.

Yes, its true they do cost the same sometimes but the main reason most people transition from consoles to PCs other than wanting to play new games and playing with friends is also for better visual quality and if you want a PC that can play at high or ultra at decent FPS you'll be spending more than you would on a console.

It's also true that you can spend £400 on a PC and play on ultra settings but the problem with doing that is you'll sacrificing other specs for a higher GPU which isn't what I'd suggest if you plan on streaming just like Georgialol wants to, as you need a good CPU, RAM (probably 16GB) and a good GPU.
Original post by Phyx
Yes, its true they do cost the same sometimes but the main reason most people transition from consoles to PCs other than wanting to play new games and playing with friends is also for better visual quality and if you want a PC that can play at high or ultra at decent FPS you'll be spending more than you would on a console.

It's also true that you can spend £400 on a PC and play on ultra settings but the problem with doing that is you'll sacrificing other specs for a higher GPU which isn't what I'd suggest if you plan on streaming just like Georgialol wants to, as you need a good CPU, RAM (probably 16GB) and a good GPU.

You can get top CPU and RAM for that. You need pretty good ones to play at those settings anyway. I mean I'm overkill with my 24GB RAM.
Reply 6
You can get top CPU and RAM for that. You need pretty good ones to play at those settings anyway. I mean I'm overkill with my 24GB RAM.

Your top end and my top end is probably different. You can't spend £400 and get a good CPU, RAM and GPU. You'll have to sacrifice two for 1. The PC I'm on right now has 16GB DDR4 RAM, a 1050ti, and AMD Ryzen 5 1600X and just these 3 parts are around £400 and I haven't even counted the case, HDD, SSD, Windows 10 etc.

Sure Georgialol could spend £400 on a computer but he or she also said they want to stream so they'll need to have a good CPU, GPU and RAM for streaming to work and £400 is just not enough for a PC that someones going to be streaming on.
Original post by Phyx
Your top end and my top end is probably different. You can't spend £400 and get a good CPU, RAM and GPU. You'll have to sacrifice two for 1. The PC I'm on right now has 16GB DDR4 RAM, a 1050ti, and AMD Ryzen 5 1600X and just these 3 parts are around £400 and I haven't even counted the case, HDD, SSD, Windows 10 etc.

Sure Georgialol could spend £400 on a computer but he or she also said they want to stream so they'll need to have a good CPU, GPU and RAM for streaming to work and £400 is just not enough for a PC that someones going to be streaming on.

A few years ago I built one with a 2500K and a GTX 780 for £350 total. If i5's not enough then I'm sure there's i7's being sold for not much more than today than I got the 2500K for.
Reply 8
A few years ago I built one with a 2500K and a GTX 780 for £350 total. If i5's not enough then I'm sure there's i7's being sold for not much more than today than I got the 2500K for.

To be honest I only want to play 3 games on pc which are minecraft csgo and dead by daylight and those games I feel like could be streamed to YouTube with a ochw because if I wanted to play games like call of duty and gta 5 I’d just connect my PS4 to my monitor like I’m doing now it’s just I haven’t got the pc yet which I feel like the ochw would be good sense I’m not really wanting to play high quality games at all
Reply 9

Why would anybody use 24GB RAM?

A 2500k is second generation
A 780 is seventh generation

We are on 8th and 10th/11th now.

prices and gaming requirements have changed.
Original post by Georgialol

Build your own and imo you are looking in the £500-700 range without monitor.
You can cut that down if you go second hand.
Looking at OCHW then it seems to be outdated and underpowered tech.
At the moment prices are very very high on computer memory an graphics cards.
You are looking at c £70-£80 for memory.
C £150 for the graphics card.

You can build a cheaper system with older tech, but it will have less shelf life going forward.
Another option is buying a ryzen APU which combines graphics card and cpu. Not sure it will manage streaming as well.
Original post by Racsoix
Why would anybody use 24GB RAM?

Hardcore video processing with multiple programs.

Or, in my case, having 16GB but someone drops an 8GB stick, then later on I try to play Mass Effect Andromeda and it stutters at times, so I have to get another 2 x 8GB, and then I risk mixing the 3 working sticks. It was ok so now I have 24GB.

Original post by 999tigger
A 2500k is second generation
A 780 is seventh generation

We are on 8th and 10th/11th now.

prices and gaming requirements have changed.

PCs aren't consoles and release dates and generations aren't that important.

2500Ks in particularly are legendary for how long they've lasted and will still last. Even now if you have a 2500K, upgrading is seen as a waste. The 780 is even better than the guy I was replying to's GPU.

Not being insulting but you shouldn't comment on a subject like that if you don't really know about it.
Hardcore video processing with multiple programs.

Or, in my case, having 16GB but someone drops an 8GB stick, then later on I try to play Mass Effect Andromeda and it stutters at times, so I have to get another 2 x 8GB, and then I risk mixing the 3 working sticks. It was ok so now I have 24GB.

PCs aren't consoles and release dates and generations aren't that important.

2500Ks in particularly are legendary for how long they've lasted and will still last. Even now if you have a 2500K, upgrading is seen as a waste. The 780 is even better than the guy I was replying to's GPU.

Not being insulting but you shouldn't comment on a subject like that if you don't really know about it.

Hilarious.
Hilarious.

If you're going to tell yourself that the real world is wrong and you're right, at least do it on your head.

No one that you're trying to impress is going to think "ah 999tigger WAS right all along" because you replied "hilarious" in denial.
If you're going to tell yourself that the real world is wrong and you're right, at least do it on your head.

No one that you're trying to impress is going to think "ah 999tigger WAS right all along" because you replied "hilarious" in denial.

No but you can carry on getting him to invest in old technology when its moved on and will continue to do so or does time stand still where you are?
No but you can carry on getting him to invest in old technology when its moved on and will continue to do so or does time stand still where you are?

When did I do this?

If you'd been reading, rather than excitedly skimming with the prospect of 'owning' someone on the internet looming, you would've seen that I had said what I got a few years ago. Nothing about what he can get now for that price.

I then replied to your odd statement that something of being an earlier version is now no good, which is factually proven incorrect by my computer's very existence.
When did I do this?

If you'd been reading, rather than excitedly skimming with the prospect of 'owning' someone on the internet looming, you would've seen that I had said what I got a few years ago. Nothing about what he can get now for that price.

I then replied to your odd statement that something of being an earlier version is now no good, which is factually proven incorrect by my computer's very existence.

No it isnt. You really are making this up as you go along.
If you want to get him to invest in old technology then go for it.
You might find CPUs and GPUs have moved along in the last 8 years and that if he has any intention of playing future games at decent frame rates and resolutions then he should pick his components carefully.
Original post by Phyx
The thing about PC gaming is that it's very expensive compared to console gaming. OCHW PC's aren't bad for your first PC ever. They have decent specs and you could get one at the price of a PS4 or an Xbox One. But if you plan on playing triple-A games such as GTA 5, For Honor, Battlefield 1 and Destiny you'll be forced to play them at low to medium settings with low FPS which no gamer wants to do. If you also plan on streaming yourself playing the games OCHW PCs probably wouldn't be able to perform due to the rubbish CPUs, RAM and Graphics Cards these PCs have installed onto them.

Personally, I wouldn't suggest buying an OCHW PC as the specs on them aren't good if you plan on playing high-end games and streaming at the same time. If you want a good PC you'll have to roughly spend £600 depending on where and what specs you get. But if you build it yourself you could get one with £500 and have £100 to spare.

The idea that PC gaming is more expensive than console is completely inaccurate. It's true that the initial cost of a PC on its own is often higher than that of a console. However, console games are generally much more expensive than PC games (taking into account Steam sales) and console players also need to spend extra money every year for multiplayer, so these expenses mean console actually costs more in the long run.

Also, most people will need some kind of PC for work/non-gaming use, and the cost of a console plus a laptop is more than a desktop PC on its own. £600 is a very reasonable price for a good PC that will last you years, but make sure you build one yourself (not buy a prebuilt) to get the best value for your money.
No it isnt. You really are making this up as you go along.
If you want to get him to invest in old technology then go for it.
You might find CPUs and GPUs have moved along in the last 8 years and that if he has any intention of playing future games at decent frame rates and resolutions then he should pick his components carefully.

When did I do this?

(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest