The Student Room Group

What combination of A-Levels gives the most options?

As I have no clue what I want to do, it seems wise to pick a combination of A levels that gives me the most options.

Edit: I don't think I was clear in my questioning, what 3 subjects(or possibly 4) would give the most career and uni prospects,

Many thanks in advance,

The Sudanese Prince,
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
The “facilitating” subjects are well recognised as being ones that give you a lot of options, especially if you’re unsure what you want to do in the future. For example, maths, both English, biology, chemistry, physics, geography and history. They give you an all rounded a level choice.
Reply 2
I’d probably try to pick facilitating subjects like English, Maths, Biology, History, Classics or Languages
1) chem, bio, maths or 2) chem, physics and maths
You can get into pretty much anything with one of these combinations, but decide now if you would prefer a healthcare field (option 1) or some type of engineering (option 2) because those fields require the specific subjects

If you prefer languages etc ur gonna have to choose those specifically
(edited 5 years ago)
Sciences leave healthcare fields open. Essay subjects or humanities subjects provide good basis for degrees such as Law.

It honestly depends. If you want to keep every single option open you’re probably best off with the Bio Chem Maths triple, but if you don’t want to go into science then no need. I think two facilitating subjects, one being a scientific subject and one an essay subject, then another one of your choice is a good idea.
I would go with option 1 Stella pointed out Maths Chemistry Bio/ Physics.

Although my suggestion is look at the subjects you can get the strongest grades in.
Original post by Conniestitution
Sciences leave healthcare fields open. Essay subjects or humanities subjects provide good basis for degrees such as Law.

It honestly depends. If you want to keep every single option open you’re probably best off with the Bio Chem Maths triple, but if you don’t want to go into science then no need. I think two facilitating subjects, one being a scientific subject and one an essay subject, then another one of your choice is a good idea.

Thanks, I'm currently going with the chem,bio,math triple but I had a sudden sinking feeling that I was making the wrong choice. I just want to live as many options open, as I like anything academic, like a renaissance man, so I'm having a hard time deciding, proper analysis paralysis which is extrapolated by my overthinking of every choice. lol God help me
Original post by stellaella
1) chem, bio, maths or 2) chem, physics and maths
You can get into pretty much anything with one of these combinations, but decide now if you would prefer a healthcare field (option 1) or some type of engineering (option 2) because those fields require the specific subjects

If you prefer languages etc ur gonna have to choose those specifically

Healthcare Vs Engineering? I think that is the crux of my problem, bio Vs physics
Original post by SudanesePrince
Healthcare Vs Engineering? I think that is the crux of my problem, bio Vs physics

What did you enjoy more at gcse, bio or physics?
Physics is probably the hardest A-Level there is, so there's that
Original post by pepino4
The “facilitating” subjects are well recognised as being ones that give you a lot of options, especially if you’re unsure what you want to do in the future. For example, maths, both English, biology, chemistry, physics, geography and history. They give you an all rounded a level choice.

I agree.
Original post by stellaella
What did you enjoy more at gcse, bio or physics?
Physics is probably the hardest A-Level there is, so there's that

Bio, plus the teaching for physics was questionable. There were moments in physics that I really liked, but also areas where I loathed.

Bio had excellent teachers and I think I am more personally disposed to bio,

How ever I think physics justifies me taking further maths. Which is a head ache for me in its self, in terms of to do or not to do, as some people say it's not useful unless + physics, others say it's too hard + other subjects, thus will bring you down etc
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Bio, plus the teaching for physics was questionable. There were moments in physics that I really liked, but also areas where I loathed.

Bio had excellent teachers and I think I am more personally disposed to bio,

How ever I think physics justifies me taking further maths. Which is a head ache for me in its self, in terms of to do or not to do, as some people say it's not useful unless + physics, others say it's too hard + other subjects, thus will bring you down etc

I'm doing maths, physics, chemistry, further maths. They are really good options for every mathematical based degree
personally think that science subjects leads to more options unless you really wanna do humanities like history or sth then i would suggest you to choose those particular subjects
maths, phy, chem, bio, psycho these subjects are often seen in preferred / required subjects
i might recommend maths as even if u do not study a mathematical based degree u might find it useful for some statistics evaluation or sth
chem and bio will be important for any subjects related to living creatures like medic or marine studies
phy is important for engine
(edited 4 years ago)
Chemistry and maths an get you into most sciences degrees
Original post by Keeperoflegends
maths, phy, chem, bio, psycho these subjects are often seen in preferred / required subjects
i might recommend maths as even if u do not study a mathematical based degree u might find it useful for some statistics evaluation or sth
chem and bio will be important for any subjects related to living creatures like medic or marine studies
phy is important for engine

Psychology isn't usually a requirement for many degrees since it is not taught at a lot of schools.
Even biology degrees don't always require bio A-Level if you have chem
In most cases chemistry and maths will get you into most medical degrees

you've probs finished your alevels now, but I'm choosing mine in a few months and having the same problem...was wondering if you had any advice/what u decided on

Quick Reply

Latest