The Student Room Group

Questions for chemistry, English language and English literature at A-level!

These questions concern the gulf in demand between GCSE and A-level for the aforementioned subjects in the title. I wouldn't mind if students that completed, or are currently studying, these subjects at A-level answered.

For the two English subjects, how different are they at A-level in comparison to GCSE? I did fairly well in both GCSE English literature and English language, so I don't think I'll struggle immensely with them, but are they completely different in content to A-level (I'm with OCR, doing dystopian literature and Hamlet)? How much more difficult would you say they were compared to GCSE?

For those doing chemistry, I have a bit of a different question:

I did combined science at GCSE and achieved a grade 8-8. However, I really enjoyed chemistry and was honestly very interested in it. I found it fascinating. I got 101/140 marks in the chemistry component, which exceeded the grade 9 threshold for it in AQA's Combined Science Trilogy course. Recently, I've been bridging the gap between GCSE and A-level, and sealing the hole in my knowledge that the separate science course contained. Do you think that if I work hard enough, I would be able to have a stab at a decent grade at A-level?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump.
Of these I did Chemistry A Level so I hope I can help!

Your grades more than definitely show that you could do well in sciences and a chemistry A Level is very interesting however I did find it to be completely different at A Level compared to GCSE. No matter how well you did at GCSE however, to do well with chemistry, you need to work damn hard and revise a lot. For me, chemistry was the subject that took up the most of my time however it is 100% feasible that you can do well as long as you put this effort in and don't be afraid to ask for help. Also be aware that there is a lot of maths in the subject, more than I ever experienced in GCSE.

Hope I've helped and if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask!
Reply 3
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Of these I did Chemistry A Level so I hope I can help!

Your grades more than definitely show that you could do well in sciences and a chemistry A Level is very interesting however I did find it to be completely different at A Level compared to GCSE. No matter how well you did at GCSE however, to do well with chemistry, you need to work damn hard and revise a lot. For me, chemistry was the subject that took up the most of my time however it is 100% feasible that you can do well as long as you put this effort in and don't be afraid to ask for help. Also be aware that there is a lot of maths in the subject, more than I ever experienced in GCSE.

Hope I've helped and if you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you so much!

What was the hardest maths that you encountered at A-level chemistry? Also, you don't have to answer this, but what grade did you get in the end after the work you put in? :smile:
Original post by Tolgarda
Thank you so much!

What was the hardest maths that you encountered at A-level chemistry? Also, you don't have to answer this, but what grade did you get in the end after the work you put in? :smile:

Honestly most of the maths is daunting at first but once you practice and get used to it, it's generally not too bad (this is coming from me who hates maths :colondollar:). The worst maths questions I came across were intense titration questions (such as the 7 marker in the exam this year). These usually require you to work out chemical equations as well as using multiple calculations you learn throughout the year. They're just too complex and clunky for me! People also commonly struggle with pH/buffer questions but they're the kind that once you've practised, you see a pattern emerge every time.

I was absolutely ecstatic with the grade I got in the end! At both AS and A2 I got an A so seriously, working hard will pay off. I am by no means a natural talent in chemistry whatsoever and it was a hard year but in the end it was all worth it. Hope I've helped and keep asking questions if you want!
Reply 5
Original post by yeahthatonethere
Honestly most of the maths is daunting at first but once you practice and get used to it, it's generally not too bad (this is coming from me who hates maths :colondollar:). The worst maths questions I came across were intense titration questions (such as the 7 marker in the exam this year). These usually require you to work out chemical equations as well as using multiple calculations you learn throughout the year. They're just too complex and clunky for me! People also commonly struggle with pH/buffer questions but they're the kind that once you've practised, you see a pattern emerge every time.

I was absolutely ecstatic with the grade I got in the end! At both AS and A2 I got an A so seriously, working hard will pay off. I am by no means a natural talent in chemistry whatsoever and it was a hard year but in the end it was all worth it. Hope I've helped and keep asking questions if you want!

Thank you. Your responses are greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest