The Student Room Group

whats harder chemistry or maths alevel and why?

title

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lolu123
title

Maths.

Chemistry is less maths based. A level Maths involved using numbers and problems.. Whereas, chemistry had so many different topics, varying from calculations to worded topics e.g. Shapes, Chromatography.. Where as Maths was less varied, it just involved different parts of maths, and the topics were quite similar to each other.. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by lolu123
title

Dependant on the person and where your interest lies. I found Chemistry much harder than Maths, especially since certain exam boards are fussy in their mark scheme, whereas with Maths it's much more straight forward.
Reply 3
Original post by MKaur18
Maths.

Chemistry is less maths based. A level Maths involved using numbers and problems.. Whereas, chemistry had so many different topics, varying from calculations to worded topics e.g. Shapes, Chromatography.. Where as Maths was less varied, it just involved different parts of maths, and the topics were quite similar to each other.. :smile:

are you saying maths is easier
Reply 4
Original post by Dexterfool
My 8===D

lies
Reply 5
Original post by lolu123
are you saying maths is easier

maths is harder - in relation to your question.
For me personally, maths is way harder. I am better at understanding ideas and concepts rather than solving numerical puzzles and stuff. It really depends on the person.
Reply 7
I don't do a-level chemistry however all of the people that i know who do both maths and chemistry say that chemistry is absolutely the harder subject. People say chemistry is similar to physics for difficulty and the thing that can be tricky with physics is the sheer amount of content. Maths is mostly routine questions that you can quite easily get the hang of and the content tends fit together quite nicely.
Reply 8
Original post by MKaur18
maths is harder - in relation to your question.

ok interesting
Chemistry is easier I guess because all you have to do is remember the kind of answers the exam board is looking for.
Maths isnt my cup of tea just because you have to be able to apply any formulas or equations you have learnt to a question, which I'm terrible at. Plus I got a D. :frown:
Reply 10
Maths harder because it's more unpredictable imo

For chemistry, the same (or same type) of questions appear every year. You just need to practice past papers and memorise concise answers to commonly asked questions.
Reply 11
Original post by Mariya 21
Chemistry is easier I guess because all you have to do is remember the kind of answers the exam board is looking for.
Maths isnt my cup of tea just because you have to be able to apply any formulas or equations you have learnt to a question, which I'm terrible at. Plus I got a D. :frown:

what did you get a gcse
Original post by lolu123
what did you get a gcse

I got a 6 in maths and a B in my double sciences, I'm not that smart
I'm in my first year of a level going into 2nd now, and I got a A a chemistry and a D in maths, although at the start I was getting U's in chem, so all I did was remembering the type of answers the exam board was looking for.
Reply 13
Original post by Mariya 21
I got a 6 in maths and a B in my double sciences, I'm not that smart
I'm in my first year of a level going into 2nd now, and I got a A a chemistry and a D in maths, although at the start I was getting U's in chem, so all I did was remembering the type of answers the exam board was looking for.

Do you think you got a D becuase you didnt work hard enough or cos it was sooo hard
i would assume math is harder
Reply 15
Original post by malkimoo
i would assume math is harder

lots of people say chem is harder
I find maths harder. With chemistry, if you understand the content and do practise papers you will be fine because a lot of the questions are repeated (not the exact same questions, but the concept of the question if that makes sense) so you kind of know what to expect. Maths requires a lot more problem solving and it can be hard to figure out where to start
Reply 17
Original post by blackvoid17
I find maths harder. With chemistry, if you understand the content and do practise papers you will be fine because a lot of the questions are repeated (not the exact same questions, but the concept of the question if that makes sense) so you kind of know what to expect. Maths requires a lot more problem solving and it can be hard to figure out where to start

interesting
Original post by lolu123
lots of people say chem is harder

im just starting A-Levels this yer for medicine and am doing biology chemistry and geography. i was looking inot math and many say its very difficult. iygm math is like unpredictable you just learn the equations and rules whereas chemistry there is a syllabs to follow and theres kinda a limit to how original the questions can get and its more memorising than math which i find easier. tho ig am biased against math bc i didnt enjoy it at GCSE hence i only got a 7 lol
Reply 19
Original post by malkimoo
im just starting A-Levels this yer for medicine and am doing biology chemistry and geography. i was looking inot math and many say its very difficult. iygm math is like unpredictable you just learn the equations and rules whereas chemistry there is a syllabs to follow and theres kinda a limit to how original the questions can get and its more memorising than math which i find easier. tho ig am biased against math bc i didnt enjoy it at GCSE hence i only got a 7 lol

fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest