The Student Room Group

gcse results

hiya everyone this is just a quick question really , so im wanting to study dentistry but am an sure if my results are good enough - I have looked at universities such as: Leeds , Plymouth , Manchester and sheffield and Manchester is the lowest with only 5 A grades or above .
I got :
English lit - 8
English lang-7
science combined-7-6
maths -7
history- 7
art- 9
German- 6
sociology-A
ICT- A
giving me 7 A-A** grades and 3 ' high ' B's in maths , German and science .
in no way these are amazing and I am sure a lot would be disappointed if opened these, I just want some genuine advise
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lukelaing
hiya everyone this is just a quick question really , so im wanting to study dentistry but am an sure if my results are good enough - I have looked at universities such as: Leeds , Plymouth , Manchester and sheffield and Manchester is the lowest with only 5 A grades or above .
I got :
English lit - 8
English lang-7
science combined-7-6
maths -6
history- 7
art- 9
German- 6
sociology-A
ICT- A
giving me 7 A-A** grades and 3 ' high ' B's in maths , German and science .
in no way these are amazing and I am sure a lot would be disappointed if opened these, I just want some genuine advise

a 9 in art!! thats amazinnngg./ wys
Reply 2
Original post by miniminx3310
a 9 in art!! thats amazinnngg./ wys

this is the thing ....

its either : biology , chemistry , English and history ( then I would drop the one I am least engaged in )

or its : English , history , politics and biology
this is the thing ....

its either : biology , chemistry , English and history ( then I would drop the one I am least engaged in )

or its : English , history , politics and biology

have you looked at the necessary grades u need at Alevel to continue studying dentistry at these Unis? I've quickly searched for manchester/leeds and this requires AAA w biology and chemistry

good choice though! (I'm also doing politics/history next year)

I'd do what you're interested in though, I mean i think you may like dentistry now, but after alevels (or during) may go completely off it. depends how long u've been into it i guess
Chemistry is a v. hard a level, so i would bare this in mind x

(my brothers friend just flopped his chemistry alevel, but wanted to be a doctor)
Reply 4
have you looked at the necessary grades u need at Alevel to continue studying dentistry at these Unis? I've quickly searched for manchester/leeds and this requires AAA w biology and chemistry

I'd do what you're interested in though, I mean i think you may like dentistry now, but after alevels (or during) may go completely off it. depends how long u've been into it i guess

(my brothers friend just flopped his chemistry alevel, but wanted to be a doctor)

yea I know its going to be alot of hard work but I am so willing to put it in and ever since I was 12 ive wanted to be a dentist ......
and yea I know all unis require AAA in bio and chemistry but im thinking of doing EPQ and also due to my parents did not goto uni, this means I can get on to access programmes and Leeds for instance says that a course that has AAA requirements are lowered to ABB ( wtf ??!!! ).
Reply 5

if you don't mind me being cheeky - what did you get at gcse and what are you hoping to do at uni ??
Reply 6
yea I know its going to be alot of hard work but I am so willing to put it in and ever since I was 12 ive wanted to be a dentist ......
and yea I know all unis require AAA in bio and chemistry but im thinking of doing EPQ and also due to my parents did not goto uni, this means I can get on to access programmes and Leeds for instance says that a course that has AAA requirements are lowered to ABB ( wtf ??!!! ).

I'm just trying to be realistic. You're grades are decent but don't shout Dentistry at me. You say you're willing to put in a lot of hard work but, looking at your Science and Maths grades, either you haven't been or you may lack the ability to read dentistry. Only you really know how much better you can be but getting top grades in Biology and Chemistry will be extremely hard work.
if you don't mind me being cheeky - what did you get at gcse and what are you hoping to do at uni ??

ummm
i got
9s in history/english lit
8s in biology and english language
7s in chem/maths/physics
6 in art
B in economics
5 in spanish

(im looknig to remark eng lang/physics
/redo chem/maths in resits)

but yeh I'm not entirely sure what I want to do at uni, i think im really into history so probably do a degree related. maybe i'll do a law conversion yr4-as thats the career im most interested in currently, despite sitting in the Old bailey at a roadmans trail and wanting to kill myself bc of the boredom

Quick Reply

Latest