The Student Room Group

How to revise for these subjects?

I'm going into Year Eleven in September, and I'm not sure on how to revise for these subjects:

English Lit/Lang, History, RS.

Could any current-Year Elevens please tell me how to revise for these, any help appreciated :hugs:
For history I had loads of sample questions (about 20-40 for each paper) which I wrote sample answers on flash cards (in bullet pts) and memorised them:yep: I think my method was a little over the top though:teehee: I also used senecalearning for history too.
As I told you on a different thread my revision was actually pretty bad. For English lit I just learnt quotes and context the day before for each theme and character. For English lang I did some practice papers and got them marked. For History I wrote notes and condensed them down. I also did all the practice questions in the book. I didn't revise for one of my history exams. For RE I read through my notes. On the day of the exam I just listened to my friends stressing and reciting information and remembered it in the exam. :rofl: Yeah, my revision was... :facepalm:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Toastiekid
For history I had loads of sample questions (about 20-40 for each paper) which I wrote sample answers on flash cards (in bullet pts) and memorised them:yep: I think my method was a little over the top though:teehee: I also used senecalearning for history too.

You definitely over did it. :rofl: Look at my 'technique' for revision. :facepalm:
For English language I just did practice papers as there was not a lot to do (make sure you are confident with the conventions of different text types and finding methods first though)
English literature I skimmed through the texts and phone cakes quotes then sorted them int themes and picked the top 30 ones with respect to versatility and put them on flash cards. After this I went over themes and characters and did timed practices every few weeks that I gave to my teacher to mark and then I’d try to incorporate any feedback into my next one.
With RS I went through my spec and bullet pointed all the areas. I put these after command words in a table and made RAG sheets (red, amber, green). On the sheet I would assess my initial confidence then put key quotes, revision notes and then re-assess my confidence. In terms of revision I made mind maps of all of these and learned the gist of my document so I could freely write down all the points for every topic.
For history, I made mind maps, posters and flash cards of key info. After this I made timelines to contextualise my knowledge. When exams came closer I asked my teachers for a pack of exam papers which they made and I then used the booklets they made in exam technique to memorise everything you needed to do to access top marks along with timings. After this I would do the papers in timed conditions then give them to my teachers to mark.
This is what worked for me and I got 10 9s (in all my subjects). If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Original post by MaizieAmyr
You definitely over did it. :rofl: Look at my 'technique' for revision. :facepalm:

erm you still answered a lot of questions:teehee: I mainly did loads because I had so many in school history revision sessions which I needed to fill (no study leave:grumble:)
erm you still answered a lot of questions:teehee: I mainly did loads because I had so many in school history revision sessions which I needed to fill (no study leave:grumble:)

Poor you. :console: I only did questions for 3/4 books because I gave up for my last test and didn't revise. I was one mark into a 9 aswell. :rofl:
For RS I made mind maps which helped a lot. For literature I did mind maps and flash cards .
Poor you. :console: I only did questions for 3/4 books because I gave up for my last test and didn't revise. I was one mark into a 9 aswell. :rofl:

*weeps*
well done:gah: omg just discovered I was two marks off a 9 in chemistry:grumble:
*weeps*
well done:gah: omg just discovered I was two marks off a 9 in chemistry:grumble:

Oo no :frown: I was 9 marks off a 9 in maths. I'm really annoyed about that. :shakecane:
Oo no :frown: I was 9 marks off a 9 in maths. I'm really annoyed about that. :shakecane:

:console:
we both did insanely well so should be proud of that:yep:
:console:
we both did insanely well so should be proud of that:yep:

:yep:

Quick Reply

Latest