The Student Room Group

How can i study physics effectively

So as the title says I have been struggling with revising for physics since year 7 and unfortunately I had a science teacher in year 7 and 8 that didn’t teach us a thing so I really need the help. Please give me all the advice I need as I’m in year 10 and doing triple science and really need it.

Scroll to see replies

have you tried youtube videos, flash cards, doing loads of questions or just generally reading the textbook and doing the questions in there
Sample questions are really the best way to get good at physics. Work your way through as many as you can - the best thing is just to have lots of practice at dealing with all sorts of questions and identifying the formulae u need
Reply 3
Buy a parrot and have it repeat words and equations so you can memorise them over time.
Practice questions, revision guides stuff like that. If you’ve got any specific questions you can even ask me I’ll try my best to help (year 13, got an A in AS physics, A* in GCSE)
Original post by Your Local Cat
Buy a parrot and have it repeat words and equations so you can memorise them over time.

Does this work for you?
Original post by Thomas_Grimes_17
Practice questions, revision guides stuff like that. If you’ve got any specific questions you can even ask me I’ll try my best to help (year 13, got an A in AS physics, A* in GCSE)

I'm starting A-level physics this year and got a grade 9 in GCSE (I was expecting a 7 at best). Would it be possible to PM you if I have any questions along the way? I'm doing AQA btw
Reply 7
Original post by Eimmanuel
Does this work for you?

Yeh, man cat just got a 9 in it. :colondollar:
Original post by savage_queen
I'm starting A-level physics this year and got a grade 9 in GCSE (I was expecting a 7 at best). Would it be possible to PM you if I have any questions along the way? I'm doing AQA btw

Yeah absolutely I’ll help as best I can
Yeah absolutely I’ll help as best I can

Thank you so much!
Original post by Oceaneyess
So as the title says I have been struggling with revising for physics since year 7 and unfortunately I had a science teacher in year 7 and 8 that didn’t teach us a thing so I really need the help. Please give me all the advice I need as I’m in year 10 and doing triple science and really need it.

hmm try to grasp different concepts cuz according to me physics is all about concept try using different books and youtube is an amazing way especially khan academy if u still find it hard try group study with ur friends as one on one conversation is much effective
Original post by Your Local Cat
Yeh, man cat just got a 9 in it. :colondollar:

Good for you.
Original post by Angel_Chen
have you tried youtube videos, flash cards, doing loads of questions or just generally reading the textbook and doing the questions in there

Yes I have tried YouTube videos and they kinda help but not really and I get most of the questions I do wrong as I don’t understand the information I’m learning in the first place
Original post by Mr..unknown
hmm try to grasp different concepts cuz according to me physics is all about concept try using different books and youtube is an amazing way especially khan academy if u still find it hard try group study with ur friends as one on one conversation is much effective

Alright thank you so much for these tips xx
Original post by Mr..unknown

Alright thank you so much for these tips xx

Aw thanks so much for the tips I’ll be sure to ask you if I need help on anything x
Yes I have tried YouTube videos and they kinda help but not really and I get most of the questions I do wrong as I don’t understand the information I’m learning in the first place

I think you know what is your main problem. If understanding of the info presented to you is an issue, you should seek for clarification. Avoid asking "why's question" usually the answers given at your level are misleading. Start "simple question" such as "what is it" or "how does it happen" or "compare and contrast".

Some of the "simple physics" questions that students are asking, physicists still don't have an answer. So don't be shocked that you could be asking such questions.

As for the questions that you have done and are marked incorrect, the best way to learn is to seek feedback from your school teacher. Like asking what are you missing in the answers, is your wrong answer a result of misunderstanding the question or your misconception.
Watch free science lesson- helped me tremendously. If you have the aqa purple book for physics, make notes from that so you understand the main concepts especially with the last chapter of electromagnetism with all the loudspeaker, generator and motor stuff. You could also use your specification as a guideline.
Reply 17
I think the best way to study physics is to see it as a way of thinking. Physics, generally, is just problem-solving with loads of rules. If you know the rules and can solve problems, you’re all good. In your free time, check out some Fermi Questions online. You’ll be awful to start with but as you go on, they’ll make more sense and you’ll get the hang of it!

Is your maths alright? I’ve got a nifty trick to help with maths in physics

(Btw, I got an 8 in my physics this year so don’t completely disregard what I’m saying, even if it is a bit strange!)

well ask, read throught the textbook and then try and explain it to a friend, parent, sibling. If you can explain it you know it and if you don't understand something tehn google or ask me or someone else on here. Literally sometimes it just takes a different approach to explaining it to click and since we are all students ask away. I got a 9 and didn't think I understood it all. As long as you know the main concepts u'll be fine
Reply 19

Although it's nowhere near perfect, Seneca can be somewhat useful. Although more so, down the line.

Quick Reply

Latest