The Student Room Group

The Two Impostors: DeepInTheMeadow's Journey through Triumph and Disaster

The Two
Impostors:
DeepInTheMeadow's Journey through Triumph and Disaster
(but hopefully not too many disasters, right?)

Hellooooo! My name is DeepInTheMeadow :smile:, I just spent several minutes just staring at the screen to try and create a clever title :colondollar:, and you are reading my GYG 2018-2019 A2 Blog!
:yeah:

The "clever title" I've managed to create is based on the poem by Rudyard Kipling: If---. Anyone who has read any of my posts before will probably know that I love this poem and to all you guys, I promise that this will be the last time I quote this poem (except maybe on A-level results day), so here goes!

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same; ...

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;

If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

So yeah, I love this poem, and I thought that the stuff about Triumph and Disaster was pretty amazing and very relevant to A-levels and to studying in general.

Sometimes we can think we've failed, and that everything is a disaster, and that is definitely not true! Equally, sometimes we experience Triumph, and while that is pretty amazing, I like to think that it too is temporary. Somehow that gives me perspective and lets me know that whatever happens, it'll work out ok. :yep:

So, I'm going into Year 13, I start on September 6th at my college (which only has Year 12s and Year 13s) and I am currently studying Maths, Further Maths, Spanish and Economics.
Well, technically I'm only studying Further Maths this year because last year I took Maths A level early, and achieved an A*. :yay:This was a complete shock, I almost dropped out of my class in December because I consistently scored the lowest in the class, but this result, as far as I know, was the highest (249/300)! Perseverance is important, kids.

Anyway, it's technically only three subjects but because I'm doing Further Maths in a year this time, it'll be the workload of 4 subjects i.e. I'll have 8 blocks of Maths each week, instead of 4, like my other subjects. Confusing, amiright?

Other qualifications:

Spoiler

Future plans:

Spoiler

Personal stuff:

Spoiler

Other links:

Year 11 GYG:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4646044

Year 12 GYG:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4924950

Universities:
Applied to:
Offers:

Important Dates:

4/5th September: Fresher's Fair (manning a stall for the CU)
5th September: Receive my new timetable eek!
6th September: Starting back at college from 10:15 am.
2nd November: Internal deadline for UCAS applications to be completed by

Will add more as I know more.

Aims for this year:
A*AA? Maybe? That would be amazing!
Figuring out what I'd like to study and then applying!
Beating my Depersonalisation
Great social life and tons of extra stuff outside of school!

In terms of tagging/quoting people in, I'm gonna add in anyone from the previous GYG who was on the list then, but feel free to let me know if you'd like to not be tagged! I'm hoping to update about once/twice a week, definitely won't be more than that and probably will be less often.

Also, I think this post has turned out to be a long post and it's safe to assume that I often write things this long, so bear with me and I'll try and make them interesting and colourful!

Love you guys and love this forum (most of it)! Thank you for your support, and thank you for joining me as I start my final year in school eek!! :eek4:

:heart::heart::heart:

Spoiler

Lemur14
x
CoffeeGeek
x
CoffeeandPolitics
x
orderofthelotus
x
Batgirl98
x
_gcx
x
urgurlbecca
x
Sonechka
x
Tormund
x
larkspurs
x
Protostar
x
HisMajesty_Kwabz
x
Original post by Labrador99
x
OrangeArcher
x
clouddbubbles
x
chieula2301
x

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

OMG Awesome! Can you also read my 2018 GYG Thread - A Whole New World? Thank youu
This GYG looks awesome and the poem is really interesting. Please tag me. Good luck with this year. :biggrin:
Keep me tagged :smile: Excited to see what amazing things you get up to this year!
:heart:
keep me tagged can’t wait to follow your journey :hugs:
Not doing tag lists this year so no to that please :colondollar: But definitely watching, massive good luck to sorting out uni choices etc. :yep:
Original post by HisMajesty_Kwabz
OMG Awesome! Can you also read my 2018 GYG Thread - A Whole New World? Thank youu

Thank you :smile: Definitely will! If you have a tag list, please add me!:heart:

Original post by JoeyTanaka
This GYG looks awesome and the poem is really interesting. Please tag me. Good luck with this year. :biggrin:

Thank you! Will do!

Original post by Protostar
Keep me tagged :smile: Excited to see what amazing things you get up to this year!

:heart:Thank youuu!

Original post by orderofthelotus

Original post by clouddbubbles
keep me tagged can’t wait to follow your journey :hugs:

Will do! :hugs::heart:
Original post by Lemur14
Not doing tag lists this year so no to that please :colondollar: But definitely watching, massive good luck to sorting out uni choices etc. :yep:

That's fine, I get it! Thank you so much! :hugs:
August 28th:

Fail to prepare...
Prepare to fail.

So... first post of the year! Argh! And it's going to be one where I just stress about the work I have to do and talk about how I'm going to cope with it. :smile:

Hopefully you can see the timetable above (I've posted it using two different ways, so hopefully at least one of those shows up!) that I created yesterday. I've split my work into subjects headings and uni-related, with a little box of "Other" which tells me the stuff I'm actually doing in the day as well.

Yesterday..was not a good day. My whole family have come down with a stomach bug, and we've all been really sick and just altogether meh. Like literally everyone in my household. So, the house is a mess, we are all walking about like zombies and everyone can barely move from their seats. But, there was a nice sense of comradery in the house, and we've all been taking care of each other, which has been pleasant.

Work: The worst part was that I had to cancel my shift at work. If you didn't already know, I work as a tutor for a centre, where it's sort-of drop-in based, and I have 6 kids I'm working with at a time, teaching them Maths and English and handwriting and stuff. They're between the ages of 4 and 14 so it's quite a job, and very tiring. My "life's-calling" is definitely not to work with kids, but it's a good thing to do part-time. I'm on a zero-hours contract, which is great during exam times and term time, when I just pick up a shift when I feel like it; but during the holidays, I never have enough shifts. This month, when I could have done 30/40 hours... I have gotten 6.5! So grrr having to forgo some of that has been really irritating! :angry:

Today, I'm feeling really tired and weak, but not as ill as before yay! :yay: Trying to get a bit of my personal statement done, revise some macro econ for the test we have first lesson back and write the Spanish essay I've been putting off all summer! Probably won't get all of that done, because I have to leave in a couple of hours to go to some Tutor Training for my job., but that's what happen when you are ill and your body decides to sleep in until midday! :yep:

8 days and 9 hours left until I go back to college!

How is everyone finding summer work? I feel like teachers have set me way too much, but I guess it's good if it prepares me for the AS to A2 jump!

Spoiler

CoffeeGeek
x
CoffeeandPolitics
x
orderofthelotus
x
Batgirl98
x
_gcx
x
urgurlbecca
x
Sonechka
x
Tormund
x
larkspurs
x
Protostar
x
HisMajesty_Kwabz
x
x
OrangeArcher
x
clouddbubbles
x
joeytanaka
x
chieula2301
x

Original post by DeepInTheMeadow
August 28th:

Fail to prepare...
Prepare to fail.

So... first post of the year! Argh! And it's going to be one where I just stress about the work I have to do and talk about how I'm going to cope with it. :smile:

Hopefully you can see the timetable above (I've posted it using two different ways, so hopefully at least one of those shows up!) that I created yesterday. I've split my work into subjects headings and uni-related, with a little box of "Other" which tells me the stuff I'm actually doing in the day as well.

Yesterday..was not a good day. My whole family have come down with a stomach bug, and we've all been really sick and just altogether meh. Like literally everyone in my household. So, the house is a mess, we are all walking about like zombies and everyone can barely move from their seats. But, there was a nice sense of comradery in the house, and we've all been taking care of each other, which has been pleasant.

Work: The worst part was that I had to cancel my shift at work. If you didn't already know, I work as a tutor for a centre, where it's sort-of drop-in based, and I have 6 kids I'm working with at a time, teaching them Maths and English and handwriting and stuff. They're between the ages of 4 and 14 so it's quite a job, and very tiring. My "life's-calling" is definitely not to work with kids, but it's a good thing to do part-time. I'm on a zero-hours contract, which is great during exam times and term time, when I just pick up a shift when I feel like it; but during the holidays, I never have enough shifts. This month, when I could have done 30/40 hours... I have gotten 6.5! So grrr having to forgo some of that has been really irritating! :angry:

Today, I'm feeling really tired and weak, but not as ill as before yay! :yay: Trying to get a bit of my personal statement done, revise some macro econ for the test we have first lesson back and write the Spanish essay I've been putting off all summer! Probably won't get all of that done, because I have to leave in a couple of hours to go to some Tutor Training for my job., but that's what happen when you are ill and your body decides to sleep in until midday! :yep:

How is everyone finding summer work? I feel like teachers have set me way too much, but I guess it's good if it prepares me for the AS to A2 jump!

Spoiler

I found the Y12-Y13 leap absolutely ginormous and really struggled to cope with the increase in difficulty of all my subjects :sadnod: so doing all you can to prepare yourself for it can only be a good thing! :smile:
I found the Y12-Y13 leap absolutely ginormous and really struggled to cope with the increase in difficulty of all my subjects :sadnod: so doing all you can to prepare yourself for it can only be a good thing! :smile:

Which subjects were the most difficult, in your opinion?

Yeah, I'm pretty nervous about the jump, although hoping it's not as bad as I found GCSE to A level! Even if it is, I'm really going to try to stay on top of it from the beginning, something I learnt last year :sadnod:
Which subjects were the most difficult, in your opinion?

Yeah, I'm pretty nervous about the jump, although hoping it's not as bad as I found GCSE to A level! Even if it is, I'm really going to try to stay on top of it from the beginning, something I learnt last year :sadnod:

Definitely Further Maths and Physics - I flew through AS FM but really really struggled with A2 (and my results show that!), and Physics was difficult anyway but it got way harder in Y13.

I didn’t really notice much of a jump between Y11 and Y12, the 12 to 13 one was far bigger for me - but everyone is different and you may take really well to it!
August 28th:

Fail to prepare...
Prepare to fail.

Spoiler

I feel you with the work thing, children are a pain in the ass. Do you work at explore learning?
Definitely Further Maths and Physics - I flew through AS FM but really really struggled with A2 (and my results show that!), and Physics was difficult anyway but it got way harder in Y13.

I didn’t really notice much of a jump between Y11 and Y12, the 12 to 13 one was far bigger for me - but everyone is different and you may take really well to it!

I'll probably notice the AS to A2 jump in around January for FM, since we're studying the AS until December and then the A2 up until the exam.

I think Economics is meant to have more difficult theories to figure out in second year, and we'll have to do a lot of essays in Spanish next year but hopefully they aren't too much of a jump.
I'll probably notice the AS to A2 jump in around January for FM, since we're studying the AS until December and then the A2 up until the exam.

I think Economics is meant to have more difficult theories to figure out in second year, and we'll have to do a lot of essays in Spanish next year but hopefully they aren't too much of a jump.

Yeah probably :smile: Hopefully it won’t be too bad for you then!
August 30th: STATIONERY!!!!!

:party:

Hoping that at least some of the above photos show up, but if not and if you really want to have a look, I've left some links in the box below!

Spoiler

So, yesterday I went for a stationery shop, in case you haven't guessed yet! I spent the morning working on some complex numbers and then set off at 1:30 pm with my sister, catching the bus to the city centre! In total I spent £30, which might not seem much to some people I guess, but whew it's a lot of money for me!

Unfortunately, this is pretty much unavoidable, since Wilko barely had any designs which looked decent, and Poundworld, where I usually pick up nice cheap folders, has closed down. So the folders in themselves cost me £15 in total, which was a shame, but they're so pretty!

Items I bought:

Folders: I bought three lever-arch folders (One from Rymans, one from WHSmith and one from Wilko), one each for Further Maths AS, Spanish A2 and Economics A2. I was also going to pick up a folder for Further Maths A2, but the cost was way too high, so I'll wait until December, when I'll actually be needing it! I also bought one smaller folder, which I (having stolen this system from Youtubers Eve Bennett and Unjaded Jade) use as my "day folder", just bringin in the stuff I need for my lessons that day, instead of dragging in three massive lever-arch ones!

Dividers: Bought 4 Wilko Dividers, which I've found are pretty strong and have a nice index page! :u:

Black pens: Bic Black pens. Nothing special here.

Pencils: Twelve for a pound at the Works.

Posh sharpeners:colondollar:: from WHSmith because mine are usually rubbish!

Academic Diary (2018-2019): With Week-to-view so I can see everything that's going on at once. I'm going to use this to write down set work, but also any of stuff that I think of that I should probably do as independent study. It's got a nice peacock cover and was £2 from the Works. :parrot:

Extra-strong plastic wallets/pockets (whatever they're called!): From Wilko, for a quid. I like these ones because the edges don't tend to tear so easily!

Portable stapler and hole-punch: I really hate it when my teachers gave me sheets that aren't hole-punched, because I always forget to do it at home and they tend to rip and get scrunched up at the bottom of my bag!

One of those sticky-note pages to put in a foler: No idea what they're called but YAy sticky notes! :yay:
Multi-coloured pens:

Actually bought these a little earlier but are still part of my stationery set for this year! 18 colours, £5 from WHSmith I think. Yay for colourful notes!

Pastel highlighters: Cheap version, from Poundland. Loving them, they're in blue, purple, orange and green.

Lined paper: Very exciting, I know!

Revision cards/Record cards: I used these a lot towards the end of the year for Maths, just to summarise all my notes on a certain topic on little cards. I like to think about Maths problems, otherwise I don't really understand them, so if I'm looking at my notes, it helps them to sink in!

Anyway, I think that's it! it was really fun to go around and try and find stuff, really stressful trying to find cheap foklders, and then my sister and I went to a coffee shop and had hot chocolate together! :h:

Anyone else been stationery shopping yet?

Tag list (let me know if you'd like to be added/removed!):

Spoiler

CoffeeGeek
x
CoffeeandPolitics
x
orderofthelotus
x
Batgirl98
x
_gcx
x
urgurlbecca
x
Sonechka
x
Tormund
x
larkspurs
x
Protostar
x
HisMajesty_Kwabz
x
x
OrangeArcher
x
clouddbubbles
x
joeytanaka
x
chieula2301
x

(edited 5 years ago)
August 30th: STATIONERY!!!!!

:party:

Hoping that at least some of the above photos show up, but if not and if you really want to have a look, I've left some links in the box below!

Spoiler

So, yesterday I went for a stationery shop, in case you haven't guessed yet! I spent the morning working on some complex numbers and then set off at 1:30 pm with my sister, catching the bus to the city centre! In total I spent £30, which might not seem much to some people I guess, but whew it's a lot of money for me!

Unfortunately, this is pretty much unavoidable, since Wilko barely had any designs which looked decent, and Poundworld, where I usually pick up nice cheap folders, has closed down. So the folders in themselves cost me £15 in total, which was a shame, but they're so pretty!

Items I bought:

Folders: I bought three lever-arch folders (One from Rymans, one from WHSmith and one from Wilko), one each for Further Maths AS, Spanish A2 and Economics A2. I was also going to pick up a folder for Further Maths A2, but the cost was way too high, so I'll wait until December, when I'll actually be needing it! I also bought one smaller folder, which I (having stolen this system from Youtubers Eve Bennett and Unjaded Jade) use as my "day folder", just bringin in the stuff I need for my lessons that day, instead of dragging in three massive lever-arch ones!

Dividers: Bought 4 Wilko Dividers, which I've found are pretty strong and have a nice index page! :u:

Black pens: Bic Black pens. Nothing special here.

Pencils: Twelve for a pound at the Works.

Posh sharpeners:colondollar:: from WHSmith because mine are usually rubbish!

Academic Diary (2018-2019): With Week-to-view so I can see everything that's going on at once. I'm going to use this to write down set work, but also any of stuff that I think of that I should probably do as independent study. It's got a nice peacock cover and was £2 from the Works. :parrot:

Extra-strong plastic wallets/pockets (whatever they're called!): From Wilko, for a quid. I like these ones because the edges don't tend to tear so easily!

Portable stapler and hole-punch: I really hate it when my teachers gave me sheets that aren't hole-punched, because I always forget to do it at home and they tend to rip and get scrunched up at the bottom of my bag!

One of those sticky-note pages to put in a foler: No idea what they're called but YAy sticky notes! :yay:
Multi-coloured pens:

Actually bought these a little earlier but are still part of my stationery set for this year! 18 colours, £5 from WHSmith I think. Yay for colourful notes!

Pastel highlighters: Cheap version, from Poundland. Loving them, they're in blue, purple, orange and green.

Lined paper: Very exciting, I know!

Revision cards/Record cards: I used these a lot towards the end of the year for Maths, just to summarise all my notes on a certain topic on little cards. I like to think about Maths problems, otherwise I don't really understand them, so if I'm looking at my notes, it helps them to sink in!

Anyway, I think that's it! it was really fun to go around and try and find stuff, really stressful trying to find cheap foklders, and then my sister and I went to a coffee shop and had hot chocolate together! :h:

Anyone else been stationery shopping yet?

Tag list (let me know if you'd like to be added/removed!):

Spoiler

Sounds like you and your sister had a nice time out :smile: Can't see any of your photos (even on the links) though :s-smilie:
(edited 5 years ago)
Stationery :gah:
Haven't done any back to school shopping yet :eek: Cutting it nice and fine and I'm not even back home until next Monday...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lemur14
Stationery :gah:
Haven't done any back to school shopping yet :eek: Cutting it nice and fine and I'm not even back home until next Monday...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, some of the shops are entirely cleared out where I live!
And AAHHH I LOVE STATIONERY!

Sounds like you and your sister had a nice time out :smile: Can't see any of your photos (even on the links) though :s-smilie:

:s-smilie:That's such a shame! I can't figure out what to do for it, I don't really have to time to upload it to a separate site and then put it into TSR! Normally I use the thingy, which has worked occasionally in the past.
September 1st: Summer work update!

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

Just to give you guys a quick update on all the summer work I have/haven't done! Hoping to finish it off by the 4th, so that on Wednesday 5th I can relax, before going back on the 6th.

Further Maths:
I'm already behind with my Maths work, and we haven't even started back yet! I have missed the topics of Matrices, Complex Numbers and Argand Diagrams (because I went away to Canada), plus I told myself that I'd review Volumes of Revolution. I've had a look at Complex Numbers and finished that off, but I still have to work through some Argand Diagrams questions, although I've made notes. :smile:

Economics:
We have been set so much work for Economics, which is fine I guess, because it will hopefully prepare us for next year; but arrrgh I haven't done much! We had to economically analyse six articles of our own choosing, which I managed to do quite quickly. There's a powerpoint on Behavioural Econ which I need to go through (but will do that on Monday!), I need to revise all the Year 1 stuff for a test first thing back(yeah, that's not happening!) and we need to make revision resources for a revision showcase, which I have finally started. :colondollar:

Hopefully you can see the flashcards full of Macro and Micro Definitions above. That will be the main thing I use, pluss I have a lot of old resources like posters which I'll just re-use :laugh: I also have flashcards made of 300 multiple choice questions that I made one Easter, thank heaven for that!

Spanish:
Again, I gave myself so many goals for Spanish which I haven't come close to doing, like doing translations, listening to the radio, grammar exercises and topic worksheets... but instead, I'm just going to say that going to Spain was practice enough ... hopefully! :s-smilie:I have managed to start researching for my Spanish Independent Research Project on the Economic Crisis of Venezuela and have picked my five sub-topics. Yay! There was also an essay I had to do on our film, "Maria, Llena Eres De Gracia", which I managed to do in around an hour, 411 words!

Uni-related:
If you can see my timetable (which I'm massively behind by the way!), you'll see that I have a section for uni-relaed tasks that I have to do! I've managed to establish that I want to study Economics, not International Development; now I'm deciding on Spanish/Russian/or both! So a) I need to do more course research, b) need to book more Open days (currently in for Leeds on the 8th) and c) get some more work done on my personal statement!

At the moment, my personal statement is a bunch of random sentences on a google drive, with some of the sentences developed into rambly-weird paragraphs, but it's a start! I've also made a list of all the stuff I've done, academic/not and I'm using that to write some stuff. Currenlty, I hate the thing, and it reads like an over-the-top Jane Austen book written by a drunk person:biggrin:...but yeah, that's what editing is for, riiight???

Why is this summer ending so quickly?? There's so much I said I would do, and while I've done some of it, I regret the days where I did nothing. Except I loved the days I did nothing in, so I regret nothing! :laugh: In some ways, I wish I'd been to more events, travelled more and started my work earlier, but at the same time I know that after those Maths exams I wanted nothing to do with revision, I've been to two other countries, been camping, boxing, horse-riding and many more things! I've even learnt to play the guitar this summer (my favourite new hobby!) So yeah, since time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted (see what I did there?), this summer has been a good one, not without its ups and downs!

Wishing you guys a good en-of-summer and enough motivation to last another year! (While over here the only thing I'm excited about is getting a new timetable :laugh:, it is literally the best part of my academic year)

Spoiler

CoffeeGeek
x
CoffeeandPolitics
x
orderofthelotus
x
Batgirl98
x
_gcx
x
urgurlbecca