The Student Room Group

English Language Paper 1 Question 4

Hello,
I was just wondering if anybody can help me on how to complete question 4 on the GCSE English Language Paper 1?
Any help at all would be appreciated.
Thanks.
what exam board?
Reply 2
If you are with Edexcel, I think I could be of helpful assistance.
Original post by entertainmyfaith
what exam board?

AQA
Original post by Tolgarda
If you are with Edexcel, I think I could be of helpful assistance.

I'm with AQA :frown:
Original post by aimeecharman
AQA

ok so the question asks as to whether you agree with a statement or not. in order to gain higher marks, i'd definitely recommend weighing both sides of the argument as it shows you've given your answer more thought.
remember you're only focussing on a certain part of the text so any evidence must be from that part. as it's 20 marks, your analysis should be pretty detailed compared to the previous questions; go into as much detail as you can. the question is broad so you can look at all aspects of the text- structure, tone, language etc. the question'll ask you as to how the writer creates these impressions so make sure you mention the writer's methods and use technical words when necessary.

your response should be personal and you should try taking a critical viewpoint as it's asking whether you agree.
Reply 6
I'm with AQA :frown:

Unfortunate. However, I would strongly advise perusing the mark-scheme for the particular question so that you know how to take maximum advantage of it irregardless of the unseen excerpt you are given. Just looking at the mark-scheme briefly gives an impression that it resembles Edexcel's fourth question on their first paper, especially as it targets AO4. This question is apparently quite challenging since less than half of the students entered could achieve a response that was awarded level 3 or above this summer (I have a friend who's an examiner for AQA English language that handed me an early version of the examiner report).

This advice may be a bit shoddy as I was with Edexcel, but since the objective of this question is to evaluate a particular theme in the excerpt, I'll stress a few pointers could be useful to you:

Avoid talking about language or structural features (remember, you're here to evaluate the theme or aspect of the text proposed by the statement). I think you would have had enough time to cover that in the previous two questions judging by AQA's paper one format.

Discuss the setting, ideas, themes, events (in Edexcel, this is actually in their AO4 question's mark-scheme). You may affectionately refer to this method of answering with the acronym SITE. When evaluating the text, I recommend expounding on these aspects. Does the scenery of the text affect the mood, or relate in any way to the statement? What ideas are the characters based on that may link with the statement? Is there a certain theme prevalent throughout the text that feeds into the statement, or is there a crucial event that highlights what the statement is suggesting?

It is better to agree with the statement. Yes, this seems slightly docile and restricting, but it gets the job done. Remember that the statement was implemented because the anonymous bugger student was probably correct. However, please don't take this point at face value too much. I'm not certain if AQA uses the term 'evaluate' as loosely as Edexcel, and you may gain more credit for substantive arguments that refute the statement. But I achieved full marks on Edexcel's AO4 questions in language quite frequently without producing a balanced argument, and I was vehemently dissuaded from ever arguing that the author was unsuccessful for anything with the excerpt by my teacher (despite the fact that I initially thought that 'evaluate' was a command word that instructed us to argue on both sides).

Good luck and I hope you get the advice you seek! This might help: https://madameanglaise.wordpress.com/2018/01/29/how-to-answer-paper-1-question-4-for-aqa-english-language-gcse-8700/

AQA's mini guidance on question 4 states the following (Derived from a pdf. regarding teacher notes - https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA_8700_EXAM_EXAM_INFO_TN.PDF): 'The use of the statement followed by 'to what extent' enables students to evaluate both the statement and text, and is intended to prompt a personal response.

The statement allows students the option of agreeing, partly agreeing, or disagreeing )entirely with the statement. The mark scheme rewards students for the quality of their evaluation and will not prescribe one approach over another.'

I'd also recommend asking your teacher. :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
I don't understand because you wrote to avoid the language or structureHowever Mr bruff said we can include it
Reply 8
Original post by Friesy
I don't understand because you wrote to avoid the language or structureHowever Mr bruff said we can include it

Edexcel's different from AQA.
Hi is anyone can help for 4 Rosie paper 1 June 2020 gcse English
Reply 10
Original post by Iman Nazi
Hi is anyone can help for 4 Rosie paper 1 June 2020 gcse English

Done in college and didn't have it
Can i have the extract and question to send to friends
Reply 11
Hello,
I was just wondering if anybody can help me on how to complete question 4 on the GCSE English Language Paper 1?
Thanks.

yep
Hello,
Thanks.

Hey English teacher here,
I would love to help you out as it is worth the most amount of marks in section A.

Question 4 is 20 marks and you should spend about 25 minutes on it.
Evaluate texts critically and support this with appropriate textual references.

In your response, you could:
- Consider your own impressions
- Evaluate how the writer creates a certain atmosphere
- Support your opinions with references from the text.

Broadly agree with the opinion given and then justify this with quotations.
Always support your viewpoint.

This is a language question, key words and language techniques like in Q2.
Original post by Friesy

I think he is a bit confused as he is with EDEXCEL.

Hey English teacher here (AQA)
This is a language question so you need to include key words and language techniques.

Carry on watching Mr.Bruff - he is amazing!

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending