The Student Room Group

BTEC Level 3 extended diploma in business

I'm doing Business extended diploma this September and i was wondering how the course I'm doing only as 12 units i thought extended diplomas needed 18units and how will i be graded if I'm only doing 12 units will i still be able to achieve D* D* D*

The 12 units are

Year 1
Exploring Business, core unit assignment based
Developing a marketing campaign, core unit external controlled assessment
Personal and business finance, core unit external exam
Managing an event, core unit assigment based
Work experience in business , assignment based
Recruiment and selection Process, assignment based

Year 2
International Business, core unit assignment based
Principles of management, core unit external controlled assignment
Business Decision making , core unit external controlled assignment
digital marketing , assignment based
employment law, assignment based
Customer Service, assignment based
Business ethics, assignment based
(edited 5 years ago)
I did this degree although back then we only had assignments and we did the same amount of modules. We did 3 per semester and you can still get D* D*D*
Reply 2
Diploma (2 A levels) = 120 credits
Extended Diploma (3 A levels) = 180 credits

Check the credit values of each of your units and if they happen to be 15 credits each then you are doing the Extended. However, I agree with you, it is more common to do 10 credit modules, hence, a Diploma usually is 12 units and an Extended Diploma is usually 18 units.
Reply 3
Original post by yt7777
Diploma (2 A levels) = 120 credits
Extended Diploma (3 A levels) = 180 credits

Check the credit values of each of your units and if they happen to be 15 credits each then you are doing the Extended. However, I agree with you, it is more common to do 10 credit modules, hence, a Diploma usually is 12 units and an Extended Diploma is usually 18 units.
it dosent say how meny credits each units are but i was wondering by doing this qualification can i get get into uni?
Reply 4
i want to go to uni when i finish my btec level 2 extended diploma in business course but i was wondering if unis accept this course and will i able to do economics course at uni or business and economics or economics and finance?
Original post by Honor III
i want to go to uni when i finish my btec level 2 extended diploma in business course but i was wondering if unis accept this course and will i able to do economics course at uni or business and economics or economics and finance?

You can go to uni if it’s a level 3. Level 3 diploma is equivalent to doing a-levels. And you can go on to do economics at uni. I did this course and now I’m at uni doing economics
Reply 6
Original post by Nadia19962
You can go to uni if it’s a level 3. Level 3 diploma is equivalent to doing a-levels. And you can go on to do economics at uni. I did this course and now I’m at uni doing economics

what grades did u get when u did ur business course? and is the btec level 3 extended diploma course hard?
what grades did u get when u did ur business course? and is the btec level 3 extended diploma course hard?

I didn’t get good grades as I missed a lot due to being ill so I had to go through the foundation route. But my friends in the same course went straight to first year on to do economics, law, business management. And the course wasn’t too hard as it was all just assignments
Reply 8
Original post by Nadia19962
I didn’t get good grades as I missed a lot due to being ill so I had to go through the foundation route. But my friends in the same course went straight to first year on to do economics, law, business management. And the course wasn’t too hard as it was all just assignments

did u get MMM + ? and what is a foundation route ? is it when u do a 1 year at uni?
I'm doing Business extended diploma this September and i was wondering how the course I'm doing only as 12 units i thought extended diplomas needed 18units and how will i be graded if I'm only doing 12 units will i still be able to achieve D* D* D*

The 12 units are

Year 1

Year 2
digital marketing , assignment based
employment law, assignment based
Customer Service, assignment based
Business ethics, assignment based

Search up the units and find out if any are 15 credits, most are 10. You need 180 credits for 3 a levels, otherwise it’s equal to 2 a levels
Reply 10
Original post by Student1191
Search up the units and find out if any are 15 credits, most are 10. You need 180 credits for 3 a levels, otherwise it’s equal to 2 a levels

it dosent say how meny credits they are but it says it "equivalent to 3 a levels"
it dosent say how meny credits they are but it says it "equivalent to 3 a levels"

Do you know if it’s the new one (with exams) or old one?
did u get MMM + ? and what is a foundation route ? is it when u do a 1 year at uni?

I didn’t no. And foundation year is when you do a year at uni if you haven’t got the grades to get into first year. So instead of doing a 3 year degree it will be a four year one.
Reply 13
Do you know if it’s the new one (with exams) or old one?
in the units there are 3 assesments which is an "external" controlled assesment and 1 which is an "external" exam, and all the other units are assesment and assignment based.
(edited 5 years ago)
in the units there are 3 assesments which is an "external" controlled assesment and 1 which is an "external" exam, and all the other units are assesment and assignment based.

That total of 4 external is correct for extended diploma and also means it’s the new one. However, you should have 13 units
Reply 15
That total of 4 external is correct for extended diploma and also means it’s the new one. However, you should have 13 units

what does it mean by external?
what does it mean by external?

Either a controlled assessment(similar to those in GCSEs) or a exam. Everything else is a traditional BTEC assignment
Reply 17
Either a controlled assessment(similar to those in GCSEs) or a exam. Everything else is a traditional BTEC assignment
so the 13 units is equivalent to 3 a levels? and what the differnce between the old extended diploma and the new one?
(edited 5 years ago)
so the 13 units is equivalent to 3 a levels? and what the differnce between the old extended diploma and the new one?

Old one has no external assessment and 18 units

The 12 units are

Year 1

Year 2