The Student Room Group

Increase in fees for international students that are applying to medical schools?

There was a news in which I only recently saw : the government is introducing the expansion of undergraduate medical education to increase the number of places in medical schools - add up to 1500 more places each year.
https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-40863448

But for international student they are going to increase our fees... they wanted us to fund our own clinical placement which is about £36000 per year... And now they are really going for this as shown below:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636527/Expansion_undergraduate_medical_education_consulation-response__2_.pdf

https://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.j1370/rr-0

International students applying for 2019 entry is going to be affected. This is a lot in addition to the huge amount of money for international students... How do other international student who wanted/are going to apply for 2019 entry think about this? As this make me to reconsider if I should apply to do medicine as an international applicant. And which university to apply for because most university doesn’t have fees displayed at the moment...
And also will this affect private medical school such as university of Buckingham?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by on9977t
There was a news in which I only recently saw : the government is introducing the expansion of undergraduate medical education to increase the number of places in medical schools - add up to 1500 more places each year.
https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-40863448

But for international student they are going to increase our fees... they wanted us to fund our own clinical placement which is about £36000 per year... And now they are really going for this as shown below:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636527/Expansion_undergraduate_medical_education_consulation-response__2_.pdf
International students applying for 2019 entry is going to be affected. This is a lot in addition to the huge amount of money for international students... How do other international student who wanted/are going to apply for 2019 entry think about this? As this make me to reconsider if I should apply to do medicine as an international applicant. And which university to apply for because most university doesn’t have fees displayed at the moment...
And also will this affect private medical school such as university of Buckingham?

The expansion for medicine was announced about 2 years ago and is already underway. New medical schools etc.

The other thing i wasnt aware of. I would wait and see how much they try and charge because politics and events are in flux at the moment with Brexit. If you have the choice then it would be sensible to look at other countries like Australia and Canada as they might offer better prices.
The university should make their fees clear before you apply. If in doubt contact them.

But yes we are expecting a substantial rise.
Reply 3
Original post by nexttime
The university should make their fees clear before you apply. If in doubt contact them.

But yes we are expecting a substantial rise.

Do you think we need to pay placement fees in full amount because that would double the tuition fees per year and that is a lot...

On https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636527/Expansion_undergraduate_medical_education_consulation-response__2_.pdf
It says that government"undertakes further crossgovernment work on implementing the change in 2019-20. "

Are you an international student as well? Do you think it will decrease the number of international students to apply to medicine?

And will this affect private medical schools like Buckingham? If not, then I feel like I should just apply to Buckingham.
Original post by on9977t
Do you think we need to pay placement fees in full amount because that would double the tuition fees per year and that is a lot...

Maybe, maybe not. But i expect a substantial increase.

Do you think it will decrease the number of international students to apply to medicine?

Clearly.

And will this affect private medical schools like Buckingham? If not, then I feel like I should just apply to Buckingham.

I think it will but again: if in doubt contact them. By email so you have their response in writing!
Reply 5
Original post by nexttime
Maybe, maybe not. But i expect a substantial increase.

Clearly.

I think it will but again: if in doubt contact them. By email so you have their response in writing!

Thank you very much!!
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
The expansion for medicine was announced about 2 years ago and is already underway. New medical schools etc.

The other thing i wasnt aware of. I would wait and see how much they try and charge because politics and events are in flux at the moment with Brexit. If you have the choice then it would be sensible to look at other countries like Australia and Canada as they might offer better prices.

How are the politics and events with Brexit are going to affect it? Sorry I wasn't aware of them. And I am not sure if Australia and Canada are more competitive.
Original post by on9977t
How are the politics and events with Brexit are going to affect it? Sorry I wasn't aware of them. And I am not sure if Australia and Canada are more competitive.

I just typed an answer but it crashed.
What nationality are you or EU or non EU international student?
I can then give you a more targeted answer.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
I just typed an answer but it crashed.
What nationality are you or EU or non EU international student?
I can then give you a more targeted answer.

Non EU :frown:
Wow our fees are already pretty insane and it's going up? Jesus christ. Anyway, to answer your question: I wasn't aware of the news you brought, but every university medicine entry page does say they're expecting at least a 5% rise and some do say 'substantial', so yeah, it all makes sense and I think fees are definitely gonna rise a lot
Reply 10
Original post by seasoncolors
Wow our fees are already pretty insane and it's going up? Jesus christ. Anyway, to answer your question: I wasn't aware of the news you brought, but every university medicine entry page does say they're expecting at least a 5% rise and some do say 'substantial', so yeah, it all makes sense and I think fees are definitely gonna rise a lot

Yeah that’s insane :frown: Are you an international student as well? I saw Cambridge medicine fees increased about £20000 per year. I really hope it is not going to be the same for other medical schools. And 5% rise? Are they inflation? Where did you see that?
Original post by on9977t
Yeah that’s insane :frown: Are you an international student as well? I saw Cambridge medicine fees increased about £20000 per year. I really hope it is not going to be the same for other medical schools. And 5% rise? Are they inflation? Where did you see that?

Yeah, I'm an international student. I'm aiming for the 2019 entry so I can't say I'm a medical student yet though. Regarding the 5% increase, I'm looking at a lot of schools at the moment so I can't be sure where I saw that, sorry, but I've seen that phrase a lot while browsing. I thought it was inflation at the time but now I'm worried it might be higher than that. And wow, those Cambridge fees are... wow. I'm not even applying there cause it's much more expensive as it is, but that makes me suuuper worried.
Original post by on9977t
Non EU :frown:

Then Brexit could be a good thing and besides what you quoted in your thread imo there could be a chance fees could go down.

Brexit is very uncertain at the moment and if it means the economy goes into recession or fewer people want to do business with the UK it would mean the £ would weaken. Depending what your country is it could mean your currency becomes stronger so you get more £ and this the course becomes cheaper.

Example since brexit the £ is trading circa 15% less against the dollar.
Brexit might induce a further fall in the £ and that means a cheaper course for you. Not as significant as the rise you are pointing out.

Contact your medical school and start getting some numbers. the government should also release further details to confirm what will happen.

EU students could be protected based on whats agreed under brexit. At the moment they will not be.
(edited 5 years ago)
Jesus Christ. If the fees for international students in the 3rd year was 40k in 2018-19 does that mean that 3rd year students in 2022 will have to pay 76k ???
Original post by Volibear
I'm under the impression that fees will stay constant throughout the period of study

I know they wont due to inflation
If you wish reassurances regarding fees, I would check the fee policy of the medical school. I am aware some universities have offered to fix the fees for the duration of the whole programme. Others have capped rises to inflation or another index. In addition, be wary of elements outside the control of the university, such as the ACT levy.

Blue Peanut Medical Education
https://www.bluepeanut.co.uk
Surely the increase their own part by no more than inflation is neither here nor there for an international student. The cause for concern are any events outside their control dictated by the government?

1. Does this mean the UK has until this point been a highly attractive place to do medicine due to the subsidy?
2. How will UK medical schools compare on fees after the change?

I would be gutted if i was just doing A levels now. Its a shame as not every international family is rich and they cna make great sacrifices to send their child to medical school.

Bit like I would be very happy if I was starting as an international or EU student this year.

They could have at least phased it in.
As an international student who is planning to apply in oct 2019, this is the most devastating thing I've read in ages.
hey guys, fees aside, do you have any idea where are you going to apply? which unis do you think accept more internationals?
Regarding the quota, it should be 7.5% cap so if a medical school has places for 200 medical students it can take only 15 international students max.

The international fees for medicine will definitely go up substantially in 2019. They are not bound to limit fee increase to inflation but the actual cost (according to their calculations). For example Cambridge has clearly published that fees will be £70,131 each year for 6 years! Other universities seem to be in the £30,000-40,000 range but that’s still very steep. If cost is a constraint may be worth looking at Ireland instead.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending