The Student Room Group

Access Course with English and Math GCSEs

Hello.

I wanted to apply for an Access Course but the tutors told me I need to have GCSE in Math and English in order to be qualified.However in their websites they mention that I can also take GCSE Math and English classes alongside with the course...
I'm kinda confused? why is it mandatory to have GCSEs in those 2 subjects if I can also apply to attend that courses while doing the Access to HE one?

Also I looked at university requirements on UCAS website and some of them seem to accept an Access to HE Diploma without GCSE's while some others want both.

Is that UCAS who didn't update the universities requirement or are there actual unis that are apply to accept people without GCSEs as long as they have good grades in their Access to HE diploma?

Scroll to see replies

It is becoming increasingly difficult to get into any university without having GCSE maths and English at grade c or above. Colleges know that it is fairly pointless accepting students without GCSEs onto Access courses, because they are unlikely to get any offers from universities.

It is possible to do the GCSEs alongside Access at some colleges, but it entails a huge workload, and I definitely would not recommend it if you have any other commitments (children, part-time job etc). You are more likely to succeed if you do the GCSEs this year, and Access next year.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I do not have kids but I need my part time job to survive.

Confide moment: It's more of the fact that I don't want to waste more time, I know it sounds stupid but I'm already 28, by the time I get into uni I'll be 30 (if I do GCSE this year and Access to HE next year) and then there are the 3 years of undergraduate, 2 of masters, some work experience in order to hopefully get into Phd...I'll be 40 by the time that I'll be a fully accredited psychologist and that scares me because I also want children too and I'm afraid that I won't have the time for that.

Would universities accept me if I get the GCSE qualifications through NEC? It may be an option if the GCSE classes at college are during the hours I'm working.
Original post by Khalila
... Would universities accept me if I get the GCSE qualifications through NEC? It may be an option if the GCSE classes at college are during the hours I'm working.

Yes, it makes no difference where or how you studied.
Original post by Khalila
I don't want to waste more time

Your eagerness to get going is completely understandable, but you have to look at it as a series of steps. If you flounder at the early stages, before you even get to uni, you're not really any further forward. Obviously you're going into this hoping to succeed, but if something went wrong at the masters stage or higher, at least you've got your degree under your belt by then and have got some more options.

I say this because, as already mentioned above, taking on GCSEs simultaneously with Access is a seriously tough proposition. A few people on my Access course this year did one GCSE (I think it was only one - Maths) and they had a tough year. It's possible, but you need to be really organised - and this is talking about doing one GCSE, not two. My suggestion is to go back to your college about the issue and see what they say about dual GCSE/Access workloads. Ultimately, though, it's better to qualify as a psychologist (or whatever) later rather than never.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,

As Schadenfreude65 rightly says it doesn't matter where or how you studied the course. You still sit the same exams, get the same certificate etc.

Let me know if you want to know more.

James
Reply 6
The reason most colleges now want you to have the GCSE's before starting the Access is due to the fact the Access course is roughly 3 Alevel courses in 1 year. They don't want to overwhelm student.
They should be ok with you doing a GCSE along side (I am)
Reply 7
Original post by Khalila
Hello.

I wanted to apply for an Access Course but the tutors told me I need to have GCSE in Math and English in order to be qualified.However in their websites they mention that I can also take GCSE Math and English classes alongside with the course...
I'm kinda confused? why is it mandatory to have GCSEs in those 2 subjects if I can also apply to attend that courses while doing the Access to HE one?

Also I looked at university requirements on UCAS website and some of them seem to accept an Access to HE Diploma without GCSE's while some others want both.

Is that UCAS who didn't update the universities requirement or are there actual unis that are apply to accept people without GCSEs as long as they have good grades in their Access to HE diploma?

Hello and good evening

I have just completed my Access course this year with math and English GCSEs along side so it is possible. not only this I also took the English adult skills GCSE equivalent qualification.

My Access course comprised of one third English units at level 3 compared to GCSE which is level 2. However the universities still wanted English at GCSE level. Therefore it is wise to undertake at least this if lacking the C grade.
I'm doing access along side english and math next too! I dont see why you couldn't do both if you put the extra time and effort in.

I did find out after ringing multiple unis they will accept igcse as well as gcse. No course work so they may be easier to fit in around your job? I'm taking the math in the January sittings, and the English at the usual time to keep the stress down. I'm also not taking these at the college I'm taking the access, no course work so no need to add to the amount of days I can't work and add hundreds more on top of a expensive access course.
Reply 9
HI
I did the access course and worked part time as well as having 3 children and I found that hard. I think if I did English and maths along side the access course it would have killed me. I have just completed them and waiting for my gcse results to come out in august but I have a conditional place for adult nursing to start this Sept, hoping I will get a c and I am 40 next month. So it doesn't matter how long it takes you or how old you are, you will get there if you really want it.
Reply 10
Hi, Did you have any children and a part-time job when studying the Access Course and the 2 GCSE's?
Reply 11
Original post by Seiza
Hello and good evening

I have just completed my Access course this year with math and English GCSEs along side so it is possible. not only this I also took the English adult skills GCSE equivalent qualification.

My Access course comprised of one third English units at level 3 compared to GCSE which is level 2. However the universities still wanted English at GCSE level. Therefore it is wise to undertake at least this if lacking the C grade.

Hi. Did you have any children at the time or/and a part-time job?
Hi everyone, I am the thread started.

I would like to apologise for not replying for so long, I normally don't check forums a lot but now I'm here.

So what I did in the last 3 years was an Access Course with Functional Skills Level 2 English and Math which are considered an equivalent of GSCEs for mature students in UK universities. Some colleges offer functional skills alongside the access course and that's what you are looking for if you want to get into higher education :smile: It worked for me and for many others. I don't have children but most of my classmates did and they all passed and got into university.

Good luck to you all :smile:
Original post by Khalila
Hi everyone, I am the thread started.

I would like to apologise for not replying for so long, I normally don't check forums a lot but now I'm here.

So what I did in the last 3 years was an Access Course with Functional Skills Level 2 English and Math which are considered an equivalent of GSCEs for mature students in UK universities. Some colleges offer functional skills alongside the access course and that's what you are looking for if you want to get into higher education :smile: It worked for me and for many others. I don't have children but most of my classmates did and they all passed and got into university.

Good luck to you all :smile:

Hey! What did you end up doing at University?
Psychology :smile:

Original post by jenbleep
Hey! What did you end up doing at University?
If you have the choice then do GCSE Maths and English. Not everyone accepts functional skills.
Original post by Seiza
Hello and good evening

Hi my sister wants to do access but has level 2 in maths and English can she still do it we are in Manchester where did u do urs x
Original post by z.sejad
Hi my sister wants to do access but has level 2 in maths and English can she still do it we are in Manchester where did u do urs x

Hi,
your sister should check the colleges near her. I found this college in Manchester and for the access course Healthcare pathway you need GCSEs (maths and English)
https://www.tmc.ac.uk/courses/medical-health-professions

Good luck to her.
Thank you x is there any way to do maths and english with it .
Original post by z.sejad
Thank you x is there any way to do maths and english with it .

Hi, I have no idea, I just went online and researched. I think its better if your sister goes to the college and ask, maybe they have a solution for her.
In my college, I could not prove my GCSE in Bio and chemistry sciences (although I have done it a long time ago). Then they told me that the college had a course in applied sciences for people in the same position as me.. Now I'm in my second year of an access course, and that recap I had on bio and chemistry was a great help (mature student here :smile: )
What I mean is, she will have better answers if she goes there and talks, explain her case. and the sooner the better. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest