The Student Room Group

Medicine 2019 entry for resit / reapplying applicants

Hi guys,
Just making this thread for anyone planning to medicine who are planning to retake any of their A levels, but also to log some of the things that I'll be doing to help my application.
I'd prefer for first posters on this thread to loosely follow the following format - (my answers will be withing brackets)
A levels achieved in first sitting: (ABB)
Predicted A levels for 2019 resit: (N/A - resitting all three)
GCSEs: (2 A* 8 A)
UKCAT avg. (for both application cycles if possible): (605 (2018), awaiting 2019
Unis you're applying to for 2019 entry:

Exeter (Rejection)

Anglia Ruskin(rejection)

UEA(Interview)

Nottingham(Offer)

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi anyone who has been successful this year with medicine after resit and reapply? Please share as I am now in same position AAB a level results. A’s in bio and chem and B in maths. Planning for gap year and resit but finding difficult with which unis can i apply
Thanks
reapplying too!
Anyone priority remarking chem or bio? Got ABB 😓
Reply 4
Original post by Doctor P
Anyone priority remarking chem or bio? Got ABB 😓

I think the chances of you getting a mark up for both subjects is low, but i guess its worth the try as a opposed to resitting and entire year
Original post by Xenonical
I think the chances of you getting a mark up for both subjects is low, but i guess its worth the try as a opposed to resitting and entire year

That’s true bro, AQA are so picky as well, I need 3 marks for chem :/
Reply 6
Anyone else not get into med schools this year and re-applying for 2019 entry?
Reply 7
Anyone else in the same boat?
Reply 8
Original post by s1645
Anyone else in the same boat?

No, but I know someone who went from 4 pre-interview rejections one year to 4 offers the following year. If their experience helps let me know.
Reply 9
Resitting too!
Reply 10
Original post by meddad
No, but I know someone who went from 4 pre-interview rejections one year to 4 offers the following year. If their experience helps let me know.

Ah really? Do you know if they had to retake any subjects by any chance??
Reply 11
Original post by s1645
Ah really? Do you know if they had to retake any subjects by any chance??

No, they didn't have to retake. They were rejected pre-interview primarily because they didn't apply strategically enough to their strengths.

There is a TSR Vlogger though, who had offers first time around, missed her grades with BBB, then reapplied while re-taking, and got at least one offer 2nd time around. Sadly for her, the offer second time around was A*AA, and she missed out again, even though achieving AAA.

It does show that it's possible though, if that's what prompted your question.
Reply 12
Original post by shfh
Resitting too!

Cool, what subjects are you retaking
Reply 13
Cool, what subjects are you retaking

Resitting all three actually (bio, Chem, maths) , also as I'm planning to apply for Kings I need to get A*AA. By the way, how did you find out if Manchester do resits? I tried looking for some info on their website
Reply 14
Original post by AD1505
Hi anyone who has been successful this year with medicine after resit and reapply? Please share as I am now in same position AAB a level results. A’s in bio and chem and B in maths. Planning for gap year and resit but finding difficult with which unis can i apply
Thanks

Hi
There are probably others but, so far, my list includes:
Anglia Ruskin, Plymouth, Liverpool, UEA, Kings, BSMS, Lancaster, Hull & York, Aston and Keele. Also a question mark over Exeter who have traditionally allowed re-sitters but don't seem to mention it on their admissions policy this year (maybe I'm not looking properly!)...
My daughter went down this route and obtained 3 offers; she is now entering her 4th year at Plymouth.
Good luck!
Reply 15
Original post by meddad
No, they didn't have to retake. They were rejected pre-interview primarily because they didn't apply strategically enough to their strengths.

There is a TSR Vlogger though, who had offers first time around, missed her grades with BBB, then reapplied while re-taking, and got at least one offer 2nd time around. Sadly for her, the offer second time around was A*AA, and she missed out again, even though achieving AAA.

It does show that it's possible though, if that's what prompted your question.

Ah ok thanks so much for that, I do have to re-take so I was a bit worried about the whole situation and how possible it would be!
Reply 16
Original post by shfh
Resitting all three actually (bio, Chem, maths) , also as I'm planning to apply for Kings I need to get A*AA. By the way, how did you find out if Manchester do resits? I tried looking for some info on their website

This is from their website:

"Policy for applicants who resit their qualifications

We welcome applications from those re-sitting their A-levels, though applicants may only re-sit one of either Year 12 or Year 13.
Where A-levels have been attempted in Year 13, applicants are expected to have obtained a minimum of grade B in each subject at the first sitting for the re-sit grades to be considered.
All re-sitting applicants are required to achieve Grades A*AA in the A-level subjects specified above, and the A* is expected to be achieved in the final examinations in either of the two required sciences."
(https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01428/mbchb-medicine/application-and-selection/#course-profile)
Hey am looking at resiting too. I was looking at changing my spec and doing international A Levels independently and was wondering if med schools allow this. They’re basically the same thing IALs just let me do some exams in jan and some in July.
Reply 18
Original post by Alex-d19
Hey am looking at resiting too. I was looking at changing my spec and doing international A Levels independently and was wondering if med schools allow this. They’re basically the same thing IALs just let me do some exams in jan and some in July.

This should be allowable. The universities that do allow resit state that A-Level (or advanced studies) should be completed within the 3 year period, independent of any exam board change.
You have to consider whether what you're doing will actually help. If the content changes from your previous board, will you be able to teach yourself? For most unis you have to get like A*AA because you've studied for longer. Also, if you will be resitting in January, that'll be after the UCAS deadline and will give you even less time to revise for the exams. So it may not help at all.
I think you should focus on building your personal statement in your time out before the UCAS deadline (ie more voluntary work) and have the resits with everyone else.
This should be allowable. The universities that do allow resit state that A-Level (or advanced studies) should be completed within the 3 year period, independent of any exam board change.
You have to consider whether what you're doing will actually help. If the content changes from your previous board, will you be able to teach yourself? For most unis you have to get like A*AA because you've studied for longer. Also, if you will be resitting in January, that'll be after the UCAS deadline and will give you even less time to revise for the exams. So it may not help at all.
I think you should focus on building your personal statement in your time out before the UCAS deadline (ie more voluntary work) and have the resits with everyone else.

So IALS would be alright? I think After considering all the options I have decided that doing IALs will be the best route for myself. My education history is abit unconventional, I’ve been forced to take a year out after a levels due to extenuating circumstances and so this is my first resit and I’m confident it’ll be my last! From the unis I’ve searched it seems all say that 1 resit is acceptable.

Latest

Trending

Trending