The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angel2233
Thought I'd make a forum for KCL Medicine 2018/2019 applicants to discuss their application.
Feel free to join the thread by introducing yourself with predicted grades, UKCAT score, GCSE grades and your other UCAS choices.
I'm predicted A*AA, still awaiting UKCAT score. GCSEs: 4A*,4A,2B (not the best but hopefully this can be overlooked by a strong UKCAT and personal statement.

Heya,

I got the same GCSE grades as you but one of the B's is in bio, on another thread most KCL applicants had 7-9 A*'s, do you think I'll be at a disadvantage?

end of yr 12 grades: AAA ( still waiting for predicted grades)
UKCAT: will be sitting it soon- struggling with the timing for AR and QR tho (if u have any tips pls share!)

Thinking of applying to St Georges, KCL, Imperial, UCL (maybe Barts depending on UKCAT score)
Original post by Studio ghibli
Heya,

I got the same GCSE grades as you but one of the B's is in bio, on another thread most KCL applicants had 7-9 A*'s, do you think I'll be at a disadvantage?

end of yr 12 grades: AAA ( still waiting for predicted grades)
UKCAT: will be sitting it soon- struggling with the timing for AR and QR tho (if u have any tips pls share!)

Thinking of applying to St Georges, KCL, Imperial, UCL (maybe Barts depending on UKCAT score)

Hii, I'm glad there's someone else with same GCSEs!! Tbh I think I put myself down when comparing myself to other people but as long as we get a decent UKCAT and personal statement, we still have a good chance of getting an interview- its the interview that will differentiate between people who have the personal attributes of a doctor and those who are just academically capable. And no I don't think you're at a disadvantage if you get predicted an A in A-level Biology because that proves you are capable in the subject :smile:
Hii, I'm glad there's someone else with same GCSEs!! Tbh I think I put myself down when comparing myself to other people but as long as we get a decent UKCAT and personal statement, we still have a good chance of getting an interview- its the interview that will differentiate between people who have the personal attributes of a doctor and those who are just academically capable. And no I don't think you're at a disadvantage if you get predicted an A in A-level Biology because that proves you are capable in the subject :smile:

UKCAT timing is soooo stressful !!! I get how to do the questions but when I practise with timing on medify I rarely get over half marks in AR and QR :frown:
I’d love to hear if u have any UKCAT tips :smile:
(Also what A levels are u doing and what were ur grades at the end of yr 12?)
Original post by Studio ghibli
UKCAT timing is soooo stressful !!! I get how to do the questions but when I practise with timing on medify I rarely get over half marks in AR and QR :frown:
I’d love to hear if u have any UKCAT tips :smile:
(Also what A levels are u doing and what were ur grades at the end of yr 12?)

Are you able to private message me on here?? we could discuss ukcat etc
Reply 5
Thought I'd make a forum for KCL Medicine 2018/2019 applicants to discuss their application.
Feel free to join the thread by introducing yourself with predicted grades, UKCAT score, GCSE grades and your other UCAS choices.
I'm predicted A*AA, still awaiting UKCAT score. GCSEs: 4A*,4A,2B (not the best but hopefully this can be overlooked by a strong UKCAT and personal statement.

Hi, is this tread for 2018/19 entry or 2019 September Entry?
Reply 6
Hi,I am considering to apply for KCL Medicine 2019 September Start course. I have a question regarding Medicine selection process. Do they offer Medicine places purely based on MMI interview outcome or both Interview and Academic / Non-Academic achievements? I could not able to get answer from their web page / FAQ. It would be a great, if someone could able to clarify my question at the earliest. This will help me to make a conscious and clear decision.
Original post by Sella
Hi, is this tread for 2018/19 entry or 2019 September Entry?

hi it's for those applying this year, so will be starting uni in September 2019
I’m considering KCL and this is my profile:
GCSE- 9,8,8,8 A*s and an A
A Level predicted- 4A*s
Work Experience- 3 days in a hospital and 9 months and counting with mencap
Extra Curricular- Dance, House captain, public lectures, read some books, competitions
UKCAT- 665 Band 2

Is this okay for Kings. I’ve asked lots of people and some say that my UKCAT score is competitive for Kings some are saying it’s below the cut off and the uni told me that getting above 650 is a good score. I’m going to apply regardless but I’m so confused about my UKCAT score and whether or not it’s good
Original post by Samanthaplague
I’m considering KCL and this is my profile:
GCSE- 9,8,8,8 A*s and an A
A Level predicted- 4A*s
Work Experience- 3 days in a hospital and 9 months and counting with mencap
Extra Curricular- Dance, House captain, public lectures, read some books, competitions
UKCAT- 665 Band 2

Is this okay for Kings. I’ve asked lots of people and some say that my UKCAT score is competitive for Kings some are saying it’s below the cut off and the uni told me that getting above 650 is a good score. I’m going to apply regardless but I’m so confused about my UKCAT score and whether or not it’s good

hi I think you've got a got chance of getting an interview as your academics balance out your lower UKCAT! I think they look at all factors when deciding who to accept l :smile:
got a 755 band 1. 2.1 in genetics from glasgow, now on masters, also in glasgow. i have the extra-curricular stuff just like everyone else. thinking of applying to newcastle, glasgow and aberdeen. could also apply to southampton/warwick, with equal chances of getting in, but i dont know
Original post by singhaman
got a 755 band 1. 2.1 in genetics from glasgow, now on masters, also in glasgow. i have the extra-curricular stuff just like everyone else. thinking of applying to newcastle, glasgow and aberdeen

amazing! Well done :smile: I'm also applying to Glasgow- it's beautiful! Newcastle will be a very good choice for you as they prioritise UKCAT.
got interviews from aberdeen, glasgow and anglia ruskin, but didnt get an offer. it was heartbreaking. i also thought that 'how could they not see that i am the perfect person to be a doctor'. sadly, they didnt agree
got interviews from aberdeen, glasgow and anglia ruskin, but didnt get an offer. it was heartbreaking. i also thought that 'how could they not see that i am the perfect person to be a doctor'. sadly, they didnt agree

aw I'm very sorry. but everything happens for a reason I guess and you clearly are dedicated to be trying again:smile: it would be really helpful if you could remember the type of questions they asked at Glasgow? if not no worries!!
aw I'm very sorry. but everything happens for a reason I guess and you clearly are dedicated to be trying again:smile: it would be really helpful if you could remember the type of questions they asked at Glasgow? if not no worries!!

i am sorry, but i am not able to disclose that information. no one can tbh, if they do its illegal. we were made to sign a non-disclosure agreement. and in either case, i dont remember the exact questions anyways, they would depend on the individual.

if you want the themes on which the questions were based, they are available on their website
i am sorry, but i am not able to disclose that information. no one can tbh, if they do its illegal. we were made to sign a non-disclosure agreement. and in either case, i dont remember the exact questions anyways, they would depend on the individual.

if you want the themes on which the questions were based, they are available on their website

oh I had no idea 😂
I am considering applying to Kings,

this is my profile:
GCSEs: 4 A*, 3As,3Bs,C
A-level predictions: A*,A*,A*,A
UKCAT: 755 Band 1

Is it still worth applying since my GCSEs compared to others are not as good or is it better for me to apply somewhere else instead of Kings.
Hi!

I’m also thinking of applying to King’s.
GCSEs: 12A*s
AS:AAAB
Predicted grades: haven’t received them yet
UKCAT: 715

Do I have a good chance as my GCSEs are pretty good?
Hey guys,

I really want to apply to Kings, but I’m not sure I would get in due to the UKCAT SJT.

GCSEs: 9A*s 2.5As
A-level predictions: hopefully A*AA
UKCAT: 712.5 band 3...

I have no idea whether the band 3 will let me down, as the rest of my application is alright. Can anyone weigh in on this?
Predicted A levels :4 A*
GCSES: 9 A*,4As one B
UKCAT: 2860 (AR 510, 880 QR,740 VR, 730 DM) Band 2
Should I apply Kings and would I have a good chance?
Many thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending