The Student Room Group

How quick can non-Fast Streamers progress??

I passed the FSAC and narrowly missed out at the final stage but was offered a HEO position regardless.

I won't reapply for the Fast Stream because HEO is same grade as Fast Streamers start on. I'm very curious about the rate of progression though. On the FS you're expected to reach Grade 7 after 4 years.

Is this possible if you start on a normal HEO role as well? I hear so much about people remaining on the same grade for years on end. If you're ambitious can you reach Grade 7 within broadly the same time frame?

How long should it take before you can viably apply for SEO and then G7.
Reply 1
bump
It depends what government department you're working for? Progression can be quite quick in places like HMRC as there are a multitude of roles.
Reply 3
Original post by CivilServant2018
It depends what government department you're working for? Progression can be quite quick in places like HMRC as there are a multitude of roles.

I'd be very open to moving departments. I'm just trying to get a general idea if I could go from HEO to SEO to G7 within 4 odd years.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by unigoer123
I'd be very open to moving departments. I'm just trying to get a general idea if I could go from HEO to SEO to G7 within 4 odd years.

Too many variables at play here, but in short it is definitely possible.

I personally know non FS analysts (stats,OR,econ,SR) that have got to G7 quicker than 4 years whereas others are still at HEO ten years later.

What it comes down to is seeking opportunities to develop your weaknesses in the promotion grades competency framework and then being able to convey your experiences well in the form of competency interviews & sifts
Reply 5
(bump) Any other thoughts?
Reply 6
I work in the civil service too and although it's theoretically possible, but it's highly unlikely you'd progress that fast. I don't want people to give you false hope when a lot of higher positions are designed with particular people in mind.
Reply 7
Original post by Plydva
I work in the civil service too and although it's theoretically possible, but it's highly unlikely you'd progress that fast. I don't want people to give you false hope when a lot of higher positions are designed with particular people in mind.

That sounds very pessimistic given my conversations with several other people in the CS outside of this thread.

I've seen people progress that fast. Plus you mention higher positions are designed for 'particular people'. I graduated from a UK Top 3 university, passed the FSAC and am entering at HEO - which is already the graduate grade.

Its not like I'm trying to go from AO to G7.
(edited 5 years ago)
I thought I'd throw in my 2p. I joined the civil service last year as a direct appointment HEO in November. I've just accepted a promotion to a different department as a SEO. I'm aiming for G7 in another two years.It can be done, you just have to want it and work for it. I regularly asked my G6 and SCS1 to participate in things like ministerial meetings and boards they go to etc.
People do.People sometimes do it in less. My former boss went from HEO to G7 in a year but had other experience. HEO to SEO in 2 years, then SEO to G7 in 2 years is totally feasible for anybody that managed to get far in the fast stream. Honestly, HEO to SEO in 1 year is increasingly normal.
Reply 10
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
I thought I'd throw in my 2p. I joined the civil service last year as a direct appointment HEO in November. I've just accepted a promotion to a different department as a SEO. I'm aiming for G7 in another two years.It can be done, you just have to want it and work for it. I regularly asked my G6 and SCS1 to participate in things like ministerial meetings and boards they go to etc.

Thank you that's very helpful. Are there any other tips you would give that helped you aside from participating in meetings etc to really get a step up. And do you think then that you will be able to achieve the same grade as a Fast Streamer and that you're not overtly disadvantaged?

Thanks again.
Reply 11
Original post by unigoer123
Thank you that's very helpful. Are there any other tips you would give that helped you aside from participating in meetings etc to really get a step up. And do you think then that you will be able to achieve the same grade as a Fast Streamer and that you're not overtly disadvantaged?

Thanks again.

I'm a current CS. I have been an EO for 15 months. I find it's all down to how well you write your competencies, rather than how adept and suitable you are. I've been struggling to get a single interview for HEO roles, and I've got a wealth of experience in life. It's down to how the vacancy holders interpret your competencies and whether you're lucky enough to have someone give you enough marks to get invited to an interview. My competencies have been tweaked and improved and played with by senior managers, and still I don't get interviews. So if you want to step up quickly, I'd recommend becoming an expert at writing competencies (though that still doesn't mean it'll pass, as it's down to the individual who reads it as to how well they "get it").
You need to score 4 or above on all competency answers you submit. A single 3 will fail you. It's scored out of 7.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending