The Student Room Group
Yes you can :smile:
Reply 2
thank you so much for that,its such a relief.
But how will universities get that info in time?

Original post by DoctorMoonlight
Yes you can :smile:
If you give them the UKCAT number im sure they can contact the UKCAT consortium if needed. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by SarahHU
If i sit the ukcat in the summer of 2019 can i go through clearing that same year?
No. You will have to submit a UCAS application by 15th October 2019, for entry in September 2020. You cannot be considered for a place at medical school through Clearing unless you have previously submitted a full application by the required deadline.

@DoctorMoonlight
Original post by Minerva
No. You will have to submit a UCAS application by 15th October 2019, for entry in September 2020. You cannot be considered for a place at medical school through Clearing unless you have previously submitted a full application by the required deadline.

@DoctorMoonlight

I got in through clearing for 2018 by sitting my UKCAT in 2018 July. Perhaps its select universities but its certainly possible.
Reply 6
I got in through clearing for 2018 by sitting my UKCAT in 2018 July. Perhaps its select universities but its certainly possible.
Without having submitted a UCAS application by the 15th October 2017 deadline?
Original post by Minerva
Without having submitted a UCAS application by the 15th October 2017 deadline?

Yes :smile:
Reply 8
Well, that certainly runs against anything I've ever seen on here. Which medical school, and did they interview you? Why did you leave it so late to put in an application?

@Beska would be interested in your thoughts!
Reply 9
Very odd, never heard of anything like that. Up until about 5 years ago clearing in medicine didn’t exist at all for home students, with any gaps (the few that they were) after results day being taken up by applicants that had applied, been interviewed, and rejected post-interview at that medical school. Increasingly clearing is beginning to exist, but in all cases (other than the 1 above that I’ve just heard about) it had required you to apply via UCAS with a valid UKCAT during that application cycle (I.e before 15 Oct the previous year).

Confusing times we’re in... medical school applications used to be simple!

Are you international (for fee purposes)?
Original post by Minerva
@Beska would be interested in your thoughts!

x
Original post by Beska
Very odd, never heard of anything like that. Up until about 5 years ago clearing in medicine didn’t exist at all for home students, with any gaps (the few that they were) after results day being taken up by applicants that had applied, been interviewed, and rejected post-interview at that medical school. Increasingly clearing is beginning to exist, but in all cases (other than the 1 above that I’ve just heard about) it had required you to apply via UCAS with a valid UKCAT during that application cycle (I.e before 15 Oct the previous year).

Confusing times we’re in... medical school applications used to be simple!

Are you international (for fee purposes)?

x
I hadn't thought of the international dimension, so will be interesting to hear from @DoctorMoonlight again as that could well be the explanation.

@SarahHU
Reply 11
Original post by Minerva
I hadn't thought of the international dimension, so will be interesting to hear from @DoctorMoonlight again as that could well be the explanation.

@SarahHU

Spoiler

Reply 12
I have emailed UCAS and they have confirmed that there are issues with sitting the UKCAT in the same summer that you go through clearing
Hey sorry for not responding I didnt realise I was quoted!

I sat the UKCAT July 5th 2018 with intention to apply for 2019 entry. I have the UKCAT number that enables them to get it from the UKCAT consortium database. Leicester University were in clearing and I had my personal statement, references, and achieved grades ready (I am a graduate and Home applicant) and I emailed them with all my details. I had a UCAS form filled out with a UCAS number for 2019 entry so I got lucky to hear back from Leicester in the first place, but I am not sure if that was used or not (I am not sure how Leicester did it themselves). If I hadn't already sat the UKCAT then most certainly I would not have gotten the opportunity to attend interview and then get an offer.

Other universities include Anglia Ruskin that just started this year for medicine and taking their first cohort in.
Let me preface that as I had all of my documents and emailed it to them rather than go through UCAS - I am not sure if they used my UCAS number for 2019 or simply the information I sent them.
Hey sorry for not responding I didnt realise I was quoted!

I sat the UKCAT July 5th 2018 with intention to apply for 2019 entry. I have the UKCAT number that enables them to get it from the UKCAT consortium database. Leicester University were in clearing and I had my personal statement, references, and achieved grades ready (I am a graduate and Home applicant) and I emailed them with all my details. I had a UCAS form filled out with a UCAS number for 2019 entry so I got lucky to hear back from Leicester in the first place, but I am not sure if that was used or not (I am not sure how Leicester did it themselves). If I hadn't already sat the UKCAT then most certainly I would not have gotten the opportunity to attend interview and then get an offer.

Other universities include Anglia Ruskin that just started this year for medicine and taking their first cohort in.
Congratulations - and thanks for the explanation of how it worked in your case.

Let me preface that as I had all of my documents and emailed it to them rather than go through UCAS - I am not sure if they used my UCAS number for 2019 or simply the information I sent them.
Sounds like they used the 'record of prior acceptance' route in your case - this happens from time to time when a university accepts a direct application from someone who hasn't completed the UCAS process, most often during Clearing. It's unusual enough for any course, but for it to have happened for medicine is probably unique :tongue:

Original post by SarahHU
I have emailed UCAS and they have confirmed that there are issues with sitting the UKCAT in the same summer that you go through clearing
Yes, it would be risky to work on the basis that DoctorMoonlight's experience would be easy to replicate.
Original post by SarahHU
If i sit the ukcat in the summer of 2019 can i go through clearing that same year?

Actually, you can't. Well, not for all unis.

Everybody that starts in that cycle should have taken the same test. Its only fair.

Ring the unis you are interested in and check. each is different.

Latest

Trending

Trending