The Student Room Group

History GCSE/IGCSE

I'm considering taking history for the may/june 2018 exam series as a private candidate- only problem is, I've never taken history before and that would mean doing the course in half the time it usually requires.

So, for all people who have taken history, whether as a GCSE or an IGCSE with whatever exam board, did you think you could have done it in one year and still have gotten a 9/A*? If yes, then what exam board was it?

Thank you!
Original post by lunarr.
I'm considering taking history for the may/june 2018 exam series as a private candidate- only problem is, I've never taken history before and that would mean doing the course in half the time it usually requires.

So, for all people who have taken history, whether as a GCSE or an IGCSE with whatever exam board, did you think you could have done it in one year and still have gotten a 9/A*? If yes, then what exam board was it?

Thank you!

Yes if you have a good memory and learn how to write essays. You are either going to get it or not. A tutor might not be a bad idea as they can give you feedback or you can do a correspondence course.
you need feedback, 100% essay writing is a fine line between time management and organisation. information dumps don't work in the exam.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Yes if you have a good memory and learn how to write essays. You are either going to get it or not. A tutor might not be a bad idea as they can give you feedback or you can do a correspondence course.

Essay-writing has always been a stronger point for me and I'd say I have a pretty decent memory. Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely try to find a tutor.
Original post by lunarr.
Essay-writing has always been a stronger point for me and I'd say I have a pretty decent memory. Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely try to find a tutor.

It just takes practice. use past exam papers.

The point of the tutor is just to touch base so you can see you are along the right tracks.
moving to history
Reply 6
There is a mass amount of stuff to remember for GCSE history, however you probably can make it easier for yourself by picking interlinking topics
Reply 7
I did my GCSE history this year with CIE and got a good score. It really depends on the amount of time you are willing to put into the subject.
I really don't know about other exam boards, but at least with CIE, there were two components - exam and the coursework. I had four 40 minute lessons every week for 2 years and the first year was focused on the exam component and the second was half coursework and half exam, and with sufficient revision, I ended up getting a 9. The exam component is very doable, in my opinion (only applies to CIE), if you really just focus on the exam technique. There are ways to answer questions and to specifically target those marks in order to get full marks on essays, and as long as you master that, the exam should be second nature. However, this doesn't come easy, as you need to invest some time into gaining experience in writing good essays which successfully address all the mark criteria. That is it for the exam component.

As for the coursework component - get a tutor. Ik they cannot interfere with you writing the actual thing but their advice with a mock coursework essay would be invaluable and their insight would most likely help you rather than do you any harm. Also very useful in order to understand specific material or to gain context knowledge for your coursework if your tutor knows what they are teaching. Very useful in teaching you exam technique as well - personally I found my history teacher's comments on my essays way more useful than revision by the end.

History is a subject that requires knowledge and technique. Knowledge can be learnt relatively quickly. However, the technique does not come quick. Tbh its all about time investment. Obviously, you are asking to do a 2 year GCSE subject within a year and end it with good grades, and this will only come with suitable time investment and effort - history won't be easier or harder than any other GCSEs.

Erm, to conclude (hehe see what I did there lol) I would like to say good luck. It definitely can be done if you are willing to do the work. From one student to another, good luck, and happy hunting for them grades lol

EDIT: I might have done IGCSE History (CIE), I can't remember if it was IGCSE or GCSE but it was defo CIE.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dh_0926
I did my GCSE history this year with CIE and got a good score. It really depends on the amount of time you are willing to put into the subject.
I really don't know about other exam boards, but at least with CIE, there were two components - exam and the coursework. I had four 40 minute lessons every week for 2 years and the first year was focused on the exam component and the second was half coursework and half exam, and with sufficient revision, I ended up getting a 9. The exam component is very doable, in my opinion (only applies to CIE), if you really just focus on the exam technique. There are ways to answer questions and to specifically target those marks in order to get full marks on essays, and as long as you master that, the exam should be second nature. However, this doesn't come easy, as you need to invest some time into gaining experience in writing good essays which successfully address all the mark criteria. That is it for the exam component.

As for the coursework component - get a tutor. Ik they cannot interfere with you writing the actual thing but their advice with a mock coursework essay would be invaluable and their insight would most likely help you rather than do you any harm. Also very useful in order to understand specific material or to gain context knowledge for your coursework if your tutor knows what they are teaching. Very useful in teaching you exam technique as well - personally I found my history teacher's comments on my essays way more useful than revision by the end.

History is a subject that requires knowledge and technique. Knowledge can be learnt relatively quickly. However, the technique does not come quick. Tbh its all about time investment. Obviously, you are asking to do a 2 year GCSE subject within a year and end it with good grades, and this will only come with suitable time investment and effort - history won't be easier or harder than any other GCSEs.

Erm, to conclude (hehe see what I did there lol) I would like to say good luck. It definitely can be done if you are willing to do the work. From one student to another, good luck, and happy hunting for them grades lol

EDIT: I might have done IGCSE History (CIE), I can't remember if it was IGCSE or GCSE but it was defo CIE.

Sincerely, sincerely, thank you so so much. Honestly, this helped a lot and I feel like I have a much better idea of what I'm getting myself into. I genuinely appreciate it so much.
sure! half way through year 11 i had forgotten most of what i learnt in history in year 10 and had to learnt it all again anyway. if you've got essay writing down and have a good memory then go for it.
Reply 10
You are welcome my g, best of lucks👍
Yeah for sure

Use resources and watch youtube videos and you should be good.

Make sure you do a lot of past papers and get them checked by your teachers at school/a tutor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending