The Student Room Group

Is it normal to be paranoid about people breaking into your house?

For a few years now, I have been quite paranoid about people breaking into my house. I live in a rough town in the UK where many crimes have occured over the years, including house burglary and trespassing, and a few people who I have not got on well with have threatened to break into my house as well, so I worry about people breaking into my house on a daily basis.

Even in broad daylight when my mum and my brother are in the house, I always lock the doors and keep all of the windows closed. There are some people I know who leave their doors unlocked even at night.

I know I would never even consider leaving my doors unlocked during the day, nevermind in the middle of the night. I have an "On your own head be it" attitude to those people who don't lock their doors at night, because they are leaving themselves vulnerable to being burgled or kidnapped.

Who else worries about their house being broken into?

Scroll to see replies

So personally: i was burgled in 2014 and then 2 years ago some guy tried to force his way through the backdoor when my sister and I were home alone so that's why I used to be really afraid.

How old are you? If you're locking everything and keeping all your essentials (like bank documents for instance) in safe places then I wouldn't be too paranoid. I think in a way since it's already happened to us we're not so afraid anymore plus fortunately the experience helped us see our good neighbours. It's great to have people on the lookout. Otherwise if you have the money you could invest in cctv.
Reply 2
Original post by rainclouds-
i was burgled in 2014 and then 2 years ago some guy tried to force his way through the backdoor when my sister and I were home alone so that's why I used to be really afraid.

How old are you? If you're locking everything and keeping all your essentials (like bank documents for instance) in safe places then I wouldn't be too paranoid. I think in a way since it's already happened to us we're not so afraid anymore plus fortunately the experience helped us see our good neighbours. It's great to have people on the lookout. Otherwise if you have the money you could invest in cctv.

I am 15 years old and will be 16 years old this October. I have actually thought about installing a CCTV system, but I couldn't afford it.
Reply 3
it's normal to be paranoid if people are threatening to break into your house. who the f-ck did that btw??

are you worried even when the doors are locked? or do you just like locking your doors? the second isn't a problem - the first could be tho.
Original post by Trainboy
I am 15 years old and will be 16 years old this October. I have actually thought about installing a CCTV system, but I couldn't afford it.

Don't be stressed about this stuff man try and ease up. Nowadays i'm only chill because i'm a blue belt in karate which isn't the best but i know i won't be petrified if i'm in a dangerous situation (i similarly live in a very rough neighbourhood). Does your school offer judo or any other martial art? like even if you can find a way to catch the basics it takes a load off you. You can pick up a few tricks online if needed because knowing how to protect yourself helps to reduce fear and anxiety in the long term.

You don't know for sure that anything will happen so try and focus on school. Also try and lay low with people around you even if they provoke you because you don't want to be in any unwanted situation. If it's safe I would report the people threatening to break in like maybe talk to someone at school about it? just try and get some support you shouldn't have to feel this paranoid.
Reply 5
Original post by Joleee
it's normal to be paranoid if people are threatening to break into your house. who the f-ck did that btw??

are you worried even when the doors are locked? or do you just like locking your doors? the second isn't a problem - the first could be tho.

Nobody has actually broken into my house, but some people I have not got on well with have threatened to do so in the past. However, I won't mention names.

If my paranoia gets any worse, I will probably just get CCTV cameras fitted at the front and back of my house, and check them on my computer each night for suspicious activity.

Locking the doors makes me feel better.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
For a few years now, I have been quite paranoid about people breaking into my house. I live in a rough town in the UK where many crimes have occured over the years, including house burglary and trespassing, and a few people who I have not got on well with have threatened to break into my house as well, so I worry about people breaking into my house on a daily basis.

Even in broad daylight when my mum and my brother are in the house, I always lock the doors and keep all of the windows closed. There are some people I know who leave their doors unlocked even at night.

I know I would never even consider leaving my doors unlocked during the day, nevermind in the middle of the night. I have an "On your own head be it" attitude to those people who don't lock their doors at night, because they are leaving themselves vulnerable to being burgled or kidnapped.

Who else worries about their house being broken into?

Firstly, relax. Whatever has been written in your destiny will happen, no matter what. By being paranoid, you are overthinking and creating problems out of nothing.. The chances of you being burgled are so so small..

Im 18 now and got really paranoid when i was around 17. When I stopped thinking about it, the issue ended.

ADVICE. This is for your help. My friend's dad purchased fake CCTV cameras eg dummy ones that look like real ones but don't work, for £1 from a poundshop and put them outside the house as a deterant.. They lived in a really bad area known for frequent burglaries and crimes but luckily never were burgled.

If you dont have money for CCTV, buy fake cameras and put them up.

Dont stress about it xx
Reply 7
Its completely normal, especially if you're alone, i have a dummy cctv camera outside my house which is a great deterrent
people here have been saying dummy cameras? i think that's a great idea too. most teens try to act hard and cower at the thought of authority.
Reply 9
Original post by ikra.m
Firstly, relax. Whatever has been written in your destiny will happen, no matter what. By being paranoid, you are overthinking and creating problems out of nothing.. The chances of you being burgled are so so small..

Im 18 now and got really paranoid when i was around 17. When I stopped thinking about it, the issue ended.

ADVICE. This is for your help. My friend's dad purchased fake CCTV cameras eg dummy ones that look like real ones but don't work, for £1 from a poundshop and put them outside the house as a deterant.. They lived in a really bad area known for frequent burglaries and crimes but luckily never were burgled.

If you dont have money for CCTV, buy fake cameras and put them up.

Dont stress about it xx

Thank you. I did think about purchasing real CCTV cameras so that I could look out for anything suspicious, but purchasing fake ones that look genuine but don't work could be a good deterrent.
Reply 10
Original post by rainclouds-
people here have been saying dummy cameras? i think that's a great idea too. most teens try to act hard and cower at the thought of authority.

I was considering buying a real CCTV system for my house. I was going to put two cameras at the front and back of my house, and keep watch on my computer.

However, fake CCTV cameras that only cost £1 each could be a great deterrent.
(edited 5 years ago)
I was considering buying a real CCTV system for my house. I was going to put two cameras at the front and back of my house, and keep watch on my computer.

However, fake CCTV cameras that only cost £1 each could be a great deterrent.

do both?? have some real some fake and place the real ones so they aren't that obvious in case those people try and smash the cameras

pls lay low
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m quite paranoid about it too
I worry that I will go out and not lock the door behind me, and I have to try the handle 6 times before I can leave. There have been times when I have almost got to uni and had to turn round and go home and check I’ve locked it.
I also feel safer with all the doors and windows shut, and I like to have the blinds shut when I’m alone, I guess I’m scared of looking out the window and seeing someone looking in at me
The area we live in doesn’t have many break ins etc but you can never be too careful, I don’t understand people that can leave doors unlocked
Reply 13
In some of the areas I've lived in, it's normal to be worried. In my old flat, we had prostitution and drug dealing outside the entrance. Police were a frequent presence and there were multiple break ins in the area. I think my dog is the reason my flat never got broken into. She looks pretty intimidating, even though she wouldn't hurt a fly. I also had a baseball bat by my bed just in case.
Unfortunately not, thanks to a pathetic justice system and sky high immigration it's the norm
Locking the doors at night is not paranoia.
(edited 5 years ago)
If you're particularly at risk then yes. You should perhaps figure out whether threats of burglary are genuine or just an expression. Do you have a burglar alarm?
Reply 17
Original post by GSedgley
I’m quite paranoid about it too
I worry that I will go out and not lock the door behind me, and I have to try the handle 6 times before I can leave. There have been times when I have almost got to uni and had to turn round and go home and check I’ve locked it.
I also feel safer with all the doors and windows shut, and I like to have the blinds shut when I’m alone, I guess I’m scared of looking out the window and seeing someone looking in at me
The area we live in doesn’t have many break ins etc but you can never be too careful, I don’t understand people that can leave doors unlocked

I am exactly like you in that I always have to check I have locked my door at least six times before I set off to school in the morning, and I prefer to have my blinds closed when I am home alone.
I live in a 'desirable' area that gets a few burglaries so my parents are reeeeeally careful. Always have doors and windows locked and a burglar alarm on.

My boyfriend is obsessive about checking doors and windows are locked at my student house at well.
Reply 19
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
If you're particularly at risk then yes. You should perhaps figure out whether threats of burglary are genuine or just an expression. Do you have a burglar alarm?

I do have a burglar alarm, but it is not very good. It sometimes goes off randomly in the middle of the night because a moth or a spider might have triggered one of the outdoor sensors. My burglar alarm system says which room in the house caused the alarm to sound on an LED display on the control panel, and it always says it is the living room, and the living room sensor is linked to the outdoor sensor at the front of my house.

It is always a false alarm when it has gone off, but I still always freak out.

Quick Reply

Latest