The Student Room Group

2 betcs and a level?

hey guys,
I was told by my sixth form im not allowed to do what I want for a level and I was hoping to do law in uni.
I was thinking about doing two btecs so level 3 business and level 3 travel and tourism alongside either a level law or history.
they wouldn't let me do history as I was one grade below wat I needed and same with law. they told me to come back next week amd maybe they might consider it.
is two btecs and a level allowed and what do you guys thing I should do ive been so stressed :frown:
Original post by soniakxx
hey guys,
I was told by my sixth form im not allowed to do what I want for a level and I was hoping to do law in uni.
I was thinking about doing two btecs so level 3 business and level 3 travel and tourism alongside either a level law or history.
they wouldn't let me do history as I was one grade below wat I needed and same with law. they told me to come back next week amd maybe they might consider it.
is two btecs and a level allowed and what do you guys thing I should do ive been so stressed :frown:

Its not clear what you are doing for your third choice.

Law doesnt require any set A levels.
Only for the very top Unis do they start getting fussy about BTECs and even then they might accept 2 A levels an one BTEC. I dont think it will be a concern for you.

Two BTECs and one A level will get you into most unis so you shouldnt worry. The key is they need to be high enough grades.

History would be a strong A level as would English Literature.

Dont worry, see what happens and then post back. Find a subject that interests you and that you believe has a good teacher and you can enjoy.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Its not clear what you are doing for your third choice.

Law doesnt require any set A levels.
Only for the very top Unis do they start getting fussy about BTECs and even then they might accept 2 A levels an one BTEC. I dont think it will be a concern for you.

Two BTECs and one A level will get you into most unis so you shouldnt worry. The key is they need to be high enough grades.

History would be a strong A level as would English Literature.

Dont worry, see what happens and then post back. Find a subject that interests you and that you believe has a good teacher and you can enjoy.

THANK YOU ! at first i wanted to do socio, business and histroy but i cant bcoz i was one grade below wat ii needed. i want to try and convince them to let me do history so bad i love it sm idk wat happened in the exam.
THANK YOU ! at first i wanted to do socio, business and histroy but i cant bcoz i was one grade below wat ii needed. i want to try and convince them to let me do history so bad i love it sm idk wat happened in the exam.

It is possible for you to improve if you apply yourself and it would be a better fit for you because leisure and tourism wont be considered the strongest. History is different at A level so you are going to have to get used to writing essays that contain not only facts but your analysis and opinion. Not just what happened but how and why.
Reply 4
i want to do btec business, history and law but my grade in history and english lang is holding me back. i love botth subjects and i WANT to do them so badly, idk what to do the school said they would think about law buti doubt they would let me do history, any advice?????
It is possible for you to improve if you apply yourself and it would be a better fit for you because leisure and tourism wont be considered the strongest. History is different at A level so you are going to have to get used to writing essays that contain not only facts but your analysis and opinion. Not just what happened but how and why.
i want to do btec business, history and law but my grade in history and english lang is holding me back. i love botth subjects and i WANT to do them so badly, idk what to do the school said they would think about law buti doubt they would let me do history, any advice?????

BTECs are continuous assessment, so less likely to cause an issue.
I doubt they will let you do both so just ask for one and if you dont show you can keep up in the first term you will switch to BTEC?

You can also ask your parent to talk to them.

What are they asking for a 5 or 6 and you got a 4?
Reply 6
travel and tourism is useless btec for me and theres only health and social and IT betcs, i got a 4 and they want 5s, travel and toruism wont help me do law in the future.
BTECs are continuous assessment, so less likely to cause an issue.
I doubt they will let you do both so just ask for one and if you dont show you can keep up in the first term you will switch to BTEC?

You can also ask your parent to talk to them.

What are they asking for a 5 or 6 and you got a 4?
travel and tourism is useless btec for me and theres only health and social and IT betcs, i got a 4 and they want 5s, travel and toruism wont help me do law in the future.

It will if you get a D or D*.
Reply 8
It will if you get a D or D*.

I just feel so stupid, my mum is gonna kill me if i take another btec omg. they arent even 100% on letting me do a level bcoz of english lang omg
I just feel so stupid, my mum is gonna kill me if i take another btec omg. they arent even 100% on letting me do a level bcoz of english lang omg

Wait and see or you cna always look at college.
BTECs are accepted at most unis, so I wouldnt worry.
You just need good grades.

No good doing A levels if you get poor grades.
Reply 10
I just feel so stupid, my mum is gonna kill me if i take another btec omg.

This is ridiculous...

Take what you need to get where you want to be. As @999tigger mentions, Law has no specific requirements, a D* would count as an A* and a D (Distinction) would count as an A towards the grade requirements for the vast majority of universities, regardless of the subject the BTEC is in.

I don't know why you feel "stupid" taking BTECs? I did a BTEC Extended Diploma (without any A levels) and I graduated from a top 30 uni last year and recently completed a Masters at a top 10 for my subject (Computer Science). Pretty much every uni will accept BTEC, with the exception of Imperial and some Scottish unis.
Reply 11
Original post by yt7777
This is ridiculous...

Take what you need to get where you want to be. As @999tigger mentions, Law has no specific requirements, a D* would count as an A* and a D (Distinction) would count as an A towards the grade requirements for the vast majority of universities, regardless of the subject the BTEC is in.

I don't know why you feel "stupid" taking BTECs? I did a BTEC Extended Diploma (without any A levels) and I graduated from a top 30 uni last year and recently completed a Masters at a top 10 for my subject (Computer Science). Pretty much every uni will accept BTEC, with the exception of Imperial and some Scottish unis.

oh wow well done! sorry i think i came across abit harsh on a levels. and i am unable to do what i wawnt to due to being one grade away from what the school wants.
Reply 12
oh wow well done! sorry i think i came across abit harsh on a levels. and i am unable to do what i wawnt to due to being one grade away from what the school wants.

For History? Keep trying to see if you can get onto it, if not, then a BTEC will still be fine. There's even a pathway for law within Business BTEC, but ultimately it will not matter to most unis.

Quick Reply

Latest