The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Music 2018/19 Thread

Hi everyone!

I don't know if there is an AQA A level music thread for the 2019 exam where we can all discuss our struggles and strengths and give each other tips and share our favourites?

So far we have covered,
Chopin's ballade and prelude
Le Nozze de Figaro
Ao2- pop music
Ao3- film music.

I don't have a favourite but I enjoy Mozart's opera a little bit? Just a little..My progress in music is a big question mark and I am in the "process" of revising and practising hoping to change my predicted grade.

What about everyone else??
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I know A-level music isn't a popular subject but... I didn't know it was THAT unpopular..
Moved over to the music forum for you :smile: things can get a bit buried around results day!
Original post by furryface12
Moved over to the music forum for you :smile: things can get a bit buried around results day!

haha! yeah I did realise. Maybe it wasn't the perfect time to make this thread. Woops!
About to embark on GCSE Music, will be watching this thread to see people's experience of taking Music to A-level and if it's worth doing :smile:
Original post by TheGame314
About to embark on GCSE Music, will be watching this thread to see people's experience of taking Music to A-level and if it's worth doing :smile:

Oh that’s great. I enjoyed GCSE music so much so good luck :smile:
Hello, I did a level music (2018 exam) and I am going to university to do music this year. I hope for your sake that more resources come out before your exam because that was the main issue with our exam.
Original post by Clarinet_478
Hello, I did a level music (2018 exam) and I am going to university to do music this year. I hope for your sake that more resources come out before your exam because that was the main issue with our exam.

yes!! that is the problem with the new spec. there is barely ANYTHING although i've bought like all of the textbooks for a level - listening, study guide and revision guide and the listening guide is quite helpful! but thx. any tips for the coming exam nxt year? if you did aqa that is.
Yes I did aqa! The textbook isn’t in enough detail for what you really have to know. I had the listening book which I also found useful (I bought the edexcel one as well because it had some unseen stuff in it). I would say condense your notes now because you don’t want to be doing it near the exam because it will be very overwhelming. Try looking up pieces which could come up for the 10 mark essay in section A (for example I listened to Mozart’s 10 most famous arias and wrote out points which were features of mozart and how drama could be conveyed). I would also focus on one area for the big section C essay (I did art music and jazz but I only learnt the art music set works in lots of detail) because you can’t learn the amount of detail they want for two areas! It’s crazy how much content there is!
Yes I did aqa! The textbook isn’t in enough detail for what you really have to know. I had the listening book which I also found useful (I bought the edexcel one as well because it had some unseen stuff in it). I would say condense your notes now because you don’t want to be doing it near the exam because it will be very overwhelming. Try looking up pieces which could come up for the 10 mark essay in section A (for example I listened to Mozart’s 10 most famous arias and wrote out points which were features of mozart and how drama could be conveyed). I would also focus on one area for the big section C essay (I did art music and jazz but I only learnt the art music set works in lots of detail) because you can’t learn the amount of detail they want for two areas! It’s crazy how much content there is!

Oh, yes.. I have my own detailed notes which i have condensed some into flashcard- ao2&3 to be exact. how did you revise for the test? and what grade did you achieve? it's ok if you dont want to say!
I'm just trying to learn the content and writing/planning potential essays and i'm also trying to improve my technique bc my anxiety is so bad during music exams ://
My teacher did practice section B style essays and I learnt the section C stuff really well (I basically sat for days and memorised facts and then recited them whenever I had the chance...in the shower, walking to school... anywhere!). It’s a very hard exam to revise for and I would also recommend taking your g8 theory (I am going to study music at university and they accept that instead of a level music). The g8 theory is incredibly similar to the a level so you may as well get extra UCAS points! I would also be careful with your performance and what you decide to play for it. Teachers this year have been complaining because they have students at diploma level who have come out with D’s and C’s for performance! I did G7 pieces (I did my G8 a few years ago) and examiners don’t care how hard or flashy your pieces are as long as they are perfect!
My teacher did practice section B style essays and I learnt the section C stuff really well (I basically sat for days and memorised facts and then recited them whenever I had the chance...in the shower, walking to school... anywhere!). It’s a very hard exam to revise for and I would also recommend taking your g8 theory (I am going to study music at university and they accept that instead of a level music). The g8 theory is incredibly similar to the a level so you may as well get extra UCAS points! I would also be careful with your performance and what you decide to play for it. Teachers this year have been complaining because they have students at diploma level who have come out with D’s and C’s for performance! I did G7 pieces (I did my G8 a few years ago) and examiners don’t care how hard or flashy your pieces are as long as they are perfect!

as far as it goes... i cannot attempt to do g8 theory.. i know theory but not to the greatest extent- however i am trying my best and have attempted g5 music theory exam papers during the holidays for practise. and woah! which university are you going to to study music? i wish you the best of luck:biggrin: !!! and i'm doing singing for both of my performances- my solo piece is a g8 italian piece but i have no idea what im doing for ensemble...
what did you do for composition? omg sorry for so many damn questions, it's nice to see someone pursuing music as people look down on the arts a lil bit too much when they're v great subjects :smile:)
I’m going to Cardiff 😀. I didn’t do an ensemble piece (just solo) so I don’t think you have to do both. I did free composition (we did a string quartet) and the bach chorale. What are you doing? It’s okay, barely anybody takes the a level so I’m happy to help where I can😂
Going into my second year of A level music and I'm so overwhelmed thinking of everything that i'm going to have to revise, i'm studying it privately as my school didn't run the course so i'm a bit on my own with it all, to what level of detail do we have to learn all the pieces?
Original post by SophBurn
Going into my second year of A level music and I'm so overwhelmed thinking of everything that i'm going to have to revise, i'm studying it privately as my school didn't run the course so i'm a bit on my own with it all, to what level of detail do we have to learn all the pieces?

I would say learn the section C stuff in lots and lots of detail (be able to bar number and quote sections of music for about 4/5 pieces and then be able to name drop and reference any other pieces or have studied if needs be). I learnt them in less detail for section B. I would keep annotating blank copies of the scores for marriage of fig, baroque and piano music. This will get you used to learning the pieces and developing your written answers. I know y13 can be overwhelming (especially for the amount of music content) but everyone is in the same position so don’t panic! Good luck! 😊
I would say learn the section C stuff in lots and lots of detail (be able to bar number and quote sections of music for about 4/5 pieces and then be able to name drop and reference any other pieces or have studied if needs be). I learnt them in less detail for section B. I would keep annotating blank copies of the scores for marriage of fig, baroque and piano music. This will get you used to learning the pieces and developing your written answers. I know y13 can be overwhelming (especially for the amount of music content) but everyone is in the same position so don’t panic! Good luck! 😊

really is overwhelming i ,,, honestly dont know WHERE TO START??
free composition and i think composition to a set brief
I’m going to Cardiff 😀. I didn’t do an ensemble piece (just solo) so I don’t think you have to do both. I did free composition (we did a string quartet) and the bach chorale. What are you doing? It’s okay, barely anybody takes the a level so I’m happy to help where I can😂
Reply 17
Technically, do we have to revise two for section C? I did Pop already and am learning Jazz in the lessons now but i feel like it’s pointless to learn in detail because there’s only one essay in section C. I don’t want to spend so much time revising for both Pop and Jazz when I know it’s only going to be a waste of limited time and is gonna make the quality of my revision worse because there’s too much content to remember. I’d rather only properly revise pop even though my teacher is against it. Also i’m not studying music at uni, i just need to finish the A Level exam and get a good grade. Any thoughts?
Hi, I'm Joe.
Recently, we did our first A2 mock. It was a joke. I got 49/120 (not letting that happen in the real exam) on the A2 Paper of June 2018 as a mock. I question why I even took this goddamn subject. One question told us to focus on the orchestral texture, but a few of the points on the mark scheme related to rhythm and not texture in the slightest. I get that they may link, but we, in no way, had any indication of writing about rhythm. I think there were 5 10-markers in total. I got, at most, 4/10, on one and around 3/10 on the other 4. What they mark us on is the quality of our answers, i.e. prose, and so I could make 10 perfectly valid points, but if they aren't incorporated into one beautiful eye-candy of a paragraph, you could be striving for at most 5 marks. Grammar and full sentences are important, but waffling, long-winded sentences shouldn't be important unless it comes to the essay question. I got 10/30 on my essay, pleasantly surprising me given that I had around 40 minutes on the essay. The marker told me I hadn't written enough - lol, ya don't say?
Has anyone else sat this paper? I'd like to know how you found it :smile:
Hiya, I’m about to my mock exam and cramming 2 days before isn’t working out. If you don’t mind could you give any clues to what’s on the 2018 paper. I just need to focus my revision because there is no way I’m revising all this content in 2 days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending