The Student Room Group

Time to switch to automatic, change instructor or persevere?

I've had 35 hours of driving lessons but still don't feel ready for the rest. I feel like when I take a step forward, I end up taking a few steps back in the next one. For the past few lessons, I seem to have a learning block now and I am a very nervous driver I'll admit, and no longer feel too confident around other drivers or at high speeds, which I feel like I should be fine with by now.

My instructor is very friendly and nice, though he does seem a little annoyed when I stall sometimes or don't slow down enough, and my clutch control and gear changes still aren't always accurate. Like in my last lesson a couple of days ago, i ended up making quite a lot of simple errors and not spotting some obvious things, with my instructor saying stuff like my reactions should be sharper for my age, my coordination is poor (I have been bad at sport and multitasking for a long time), that I should no longer be stalling at this stage etc which has knocked my confidence . So my performance has definitely gone downhill over the past few lessons so much that I think I'll delay my test even further.

I've considered taking automatic lessons (most of my family have automatics now so could practise in their cars, and I have considered buying an automatic in the future, if I pass) , or to find another instructor (as nice as he is, maybe his teaching isn't helping me), or just take a break for a few weeks and be more refreshed.

Any advice? I wanted to pass before uni but I don't see that happening anymore :/
Reply 1
Hey I totally know how you feel. My concentration got really bad when I hit around the same number as hours as you. My instructor started to get quite negative and knocked my confidence a lot. My advise would be to take a breather. It's similar to how we need to take breaks when revising for exams. Take a couple of weeks off and go back to the same instructor and see how it goes. If you're still having a negative experience then maybe switch. It could be that you're making a few small mistakes but your instructors negativity is knocking your confidence. I hope it all works out.
Reply 2
Original post by han55
Hey I totally know how you feel. My concentration got really bad when I hit around the same number as hours as you. My instructor started to get quite negative and knocked my confidence a lot. My advise would be to take a breather. It's similar to how we need to take breaks when revising for exams. Take a couple of weeks off and go back to the same instructor and see how it goes. If you're still having a negative experience then maybe switch. It could be that you're making a few small mistakes but your instructors negativity is knocking your confidence. I hope it all works out.

Hi, that helps a lot, thanks! :smile: Do you think it's worth switching instructor should I just stick with him? We ended up spending the whole lesson looking at T junctions again since I somehow kept messing that up :/
Honestly, when I was reading this, I almost thought I'd wrote this. I'm in the exact situation right now. I've considering switching instructors, as although he's nice and we have good conversations, he does get frustrated easily when I make little mistakes (and those little mistakes get me stressed and/or nervous and lead on to MORE mistakes), so I myself feel as if I'm also stuck in a loop of one improvement = one step back. I'm not the most confident person either so it's possible my confidence is also being knocked by any negativity, as @han55 said.

I've also considered the automatic option as I've heard it can be a bit less stressful, but my main reason for the consideration was so that I could focus more on my the road itself and coordination (as I've also been told and feel myself that my coordination is poor - I get told I'm too close towards the curb or nearby cars and feel I can't work out what's around me while having to change gears, use the clutch, on top of steering, checking mirrors, traffic lights, and it all piles up, so I wanted to remove a bit of pressure).

I passed my theory first time and am dying to pass the driving test, it gets suggested that I get stressed before my lessons which is completely false as I actually look forward to them, it's just that errors start and build up and the frustration starts from there when I'm actually in the car.

I'm definitely interested in what others may have to say on this. I'm sure we'll get there, good luck for your next lessons!
Reply 4
Original post by Alliterate
Honestly, when I was reading this, I almost thought I'd wrote this. I'm in the exact situation right now. I've considering switching instructors, as although he's nice and we have good conversations, he does get frustrated easily when I make little mistakes (and those little mistakes get me stressed and/or nervous and lead on to MORE mistakes), so I myself feel as if I'm also stuck in a loop of one improvement = one step back. I'm not the most confident person either so it's possible my confidence is also being knocked by any negativity, as @han55 said.

I've also considered the automatic option as I've heard it can be a bit less stressful, but my main reason for the consideration was so that I could focus more on my the road itself and coordination (as I've also been told and feel myself that my coordination is poor - I get told I'm too close towards the curb or nearby cars and feel I can't work out what's around me while having to change gears, use the clutch, on top of steering, checking mirrors, traffic lights, and it all piles up, so I wanted to remove a bit of pressure).

I passed my theory first time and am dying to pass the driving test, it gets suggested that I get stressed before my lessons which is completely false as I actually look forward to them, it's just that errors start and build up and the frustration starts from there when I'm actually in the car.

I'm definitely interested in what others may have to say on this. I'm sure we'll get there, good luck for your next lessons!

Oh wow, that's exactly me! It's weird since I keep getting told that he doesn't know what else to do now as I keep making these mistakes, or make other ones which I didn't, even when I've fixed them. I feel the automatic lessons would help as you don't have to worry about gears, of clutch control, or hill starts etc but I'd be a little uncomfortable in being in the minority who have an automatic licence as a result :/. Did you end up trying out a new instructor or an automatic out of interest?
Reply 5
Original post by bobbricks
Hi, that helps a lot, thanks! :smile: Do you think it's worth switching instructor should I just stick with him? We ended up spending the whole lesson looking at T junctions again since I somehow kept messing that up :/

Personally, I would change instructor. It can take a couple weeks to find and get a lesson with a new instructor anyway so maybe whilst you're taking time off you could sort that out?
Oh wow, that's exactly me! It's weird since I keep getting told that he doesn't know what else to do now as I keep making these mistakes, or make other ones which I didn't, even when I've fixed them. I feel the automatic lessons would help as you don't have to worry about gears, of clutch control, or hill starts etc but I'd be a little uncomfortable in being in the minority who have an automatic licence as a result :/. Did you end up trying out a new instructor or an automatic out of interest?

Not sure if my post read as if I'd passed my test, so sorry if it did, but I'm still in the process of taking my lessons and have had about 30 hours so far. The automatic and new instructor options are still a possibility, but for now, I'm persevering. Will just see how it goes for the next five or so lessons, then weigh up the options if it still hasn't picked up. The reason I put automatic off was that most of my family drive in manual, but I've got a few who use automatic and when I see them driving, it looks far less stressful, at least to me but I'm sure it's just the fact that manual takes more getting used to. Sometimes I wish it was like Canada here where automatic cars dominate, but I'm hoping I'll get through this stage and gain a bit more confidence so will just have to see.
Reply 7
I was in exactly your position when I started. I ended up doing both (since my parents only own automatics for me to practice in anyway) and my second instructor was much better. I felt way more comfortable on the roads before long
Reply 8
I've had 35 hours of driving lessons but still don't feel ready for the rest. I feel like when I take a step forward, I end up taking a few steps back in the next one. For the past few lessons, I seem to have a learning block now and I am a very nervous driver I'll admit, and no longer feel too confident around other drivers or at high speeds, which I feel like I should be fine with by now.

My instructor is very friendly and nice, though he does seem a little annoyed when I stall sometimes or don't slow down enough, and my clutch control and gear changes still aren't always accurate. Like in my last lesson a couple of days ago, i ended up making quite a lot of simple errors and not spotting some obvious things, with my instructor saying stuff like my reactions should be sharper for my age, my coordination is poor (I have been bad at sport and multitasking for a long time), that I should no longer be stalling at this stage etc which has knocked my confidence . So my performance has definitely gone downhill over the past few lessons so much that I think I'll delay my test even further.

I've considered taking automatic lessons (most of my family have automatics now so could practise in their cars, and I have considered buying an automatic in the future, if I pass) , or to find another instructor (as nice as he is, maybe his teaching isn't helping me), or just take a break for a few weeks and be more refreshed.

Any advice? I wanted to pass before uni but I don't see that happening anymore :/

I just passed my driving test about a month ago, I was also in the same boat as you but in my case my instructor was a ****, if you don't feel confident enough to go at higher speeds then I suggest you practice with your parents on quieter roads, what I did was exactly that, with more practice you will be able to find it easier, if I may ask how many times a week do you go for driving?If its only once or twice I suggest you go for more. I would only suggest you go for automatic if you are really struggling with changing the gears. Also I recommend watching youtube videos on driving lessons, they e.g. World Driving or Go2 Driving School which i found really helpful as they go through a whole driving lesson then do a review of where the boy/girl went wrong.
In my experience a lot of it has to do with the relationship with your instructor.

Before I started my MSc last September I started my driving lessons and things were good for the first few weeks. I was having trouble with my turns so he insisted we spend some time on country roads so that I could practice this without the pressure of other drivers. Even when I had this down, he still insisted that we go on quiet roads so towards the end of the lesson when I would drive back home I would struggle on the main roads. As most of my lessons were on roads with virtually no cars, I was having difficulty adapting to city centre driving and utilising my gears and clutch more often. He would get really angry at me if I made a slight mistake and in the end I just decided not to continue with him as he was doing nothing for my confidence.

I've made the decision to just concentrate on my MSc and when that is out of the way I will hopefully be in a better position confidence wise to resume lessons again but with a different instructor.
Reply 10
I've been doing about 2-4 hours (2 lessons, but usually 2 hours each) per week and I've been taught everything, just seem to forget stuff on not do it in time. It seems the consensus to get a new driving instructor but any tips on how to find a good one (I haven't tried Red but I've heard their instructors vary a lot in quality) ? The one I have right now has a website with testimonials with good reviews so I do feel like I might not be picking up stuff everyone else is or something? I am a little worried that since I'm so far in with the hours I've had, it could be detrimental to switch to a new car/instructor but not sure
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Alliterate
Not sure if my post read as if I'd passed my test, so sorry if it did, but I'm still in the process of taking my lessons and have had about 30 hours so far. The automatic and new instructor options are still a possibility, but for now, I'm persevering. Will just see how it goes for the next five or so lessons, then weigh up the options if it still hasn't picked up. The reason I put automatic off was that most of my family drive in manual, but I've got a few who use automatic and when I see them driving, it looks far less stressful, at least to me but I'm sure it's just the fact that manual takes more getting used to. Sometimes I wish it was like Canada here where automatic cars dominate, but I'm hoping I'll get through this stage and gain a bit more confidence so will just have to see.

I see! Yeah, I wish it were the same here though in my situation, it seems most of my family have switched to automatic now! Do let us know how you get on though and good luck :smile:
I see! Yeah, I wish it were the same here though in my situation, it seems most of my family have switched to automatic now! Do let us know how you get on though and good luck :smile:

Will do - good luck in your driving endeavours too!
I am in the same boat as you! I’ve come to a point where i’m avoiding driving lessons now as the lessons give me stress and anxiey. It just isn’t clicking for me and I’ve had 40 hours of lessons at least.

I’ve been told the best thing to do is to buy a cheap car and go out practicing with a family member or friend. My mum can’t even drive a manual which doesn’t give me much faith but I am determined to pass in a manual! Let me know what you decide to do!
(edited 5 years ago)

Oh. As i was reading ur post i can say that this is what and how im feeling right now. Ive hqd 54hours lessons already. The first 20hours with a different instructor which there was no progression at all. And the rest with my new instructor. So far no mention of being test ready or test standard. I admit im a panic driver. And i tend to fixed stare therefore missing out on important signs, still stalling and inappropriate and poorly timed gear change. :frown: i say we should just persevere more. But its sooo damnnnn expensive. :frown: more power to us then. Let me know how ur getting on
Reply 15
Original post by Darzness
Oh. As i was reading ur post i can say that this is what and how im feeling right now. Ive hqd 54hours lessons already. The first 20hours with a different instructor which there was no progression at all. And the rest with my new instructor. So far no mention of being test ready or test standard. I admit im a panic driver. And i tend to fixed stare therefore missing out on important signs, still stalling and inappropriate and poorly timed gear change. :frown: i say we should just persevere more. But its sooo damnnnn expensive. :frown: more power to us then. Let me know how ur getting on

Hey, sorry to hear that man but I completely understand what you're going through! I changed instructor in the end who was more expensive but it was completely worth it. I managed to pass my test first time around after he gave me the confidence boost I desperately needed. If you think you're not improving, then a fresh set of eyes and a more patient, happier instructor would certainly do the trick. Everyone learns at a different rate and I'd still find it hard to drive by myself, but just more experience will help out certainly. Definitely look into another instructor though. Just remember, once you've passed your test, that's it - no more driving lessons ever again, no more test fees as it's a lifetime investment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending