The Student Room Group

shouldn't women get married and have babies when we are young healthy and fertile?

shouldn't we choose to get married and have babies

with a man who will be a good husband and father

when we are young healthy and fertile?

because

https://yourfertility.org.au/for-women/age/

https://twitter.com/prosperity4all3/status/1035899973660028928

then we can choose to have a career when we become over 45

when we can concentrate all our focus on getting to the top of our chosen field because
toddlers have bigger brains with stay at home mom say scientists
https://twitter.com/prosperity4all3/status/1035888776646668288
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Its a myth that your ability carry a healthy child drops as you get older. The common myth is that the rate of deformities increases, but it only increases from 0.5% to 1% so its not significant. Also, its much harder to get into a career when you're older. However, it is possible to do both having a child and havign a career. I know many a fulltime female software developer who also has young children. It depends on what you wnat to do. You want to have children young, go for it. You want to leave it a little longer, that's fine too.
I think women should have babies at a relatively young age, something like mid 20s is probably an ideal compromise. none of the rest of what you said made much sense though.
Original post by nikki haley

because

when we can concentrate all our focus on getting to the top of our chosen field

I think it's not as simple as choosing to get married young, as people might not be lucky enough to meet the right person to marry and have a family with till they are a bit older.
I was 22 when i got married and hope to have children around 25/26 but my choice isn't certainly for everyone and fertility can really depend on genetics (from my family people have struggled a bit when into their late 30s and my dad was mid 30s when he died hence my hope to be in my 20s ) and having biological children isn't the only choice to have a family, adoption is a wonderful thing for people to do.
Reply 4
what the article says is true.
if you do research on why some religions or cultures
believe in early marriage, you will find that most of thir concern resolved around that article.
and if you go deep with science findings.. still the same.
all I can say is
a girl should be taught all this by her parents and then a decision to get married earlier or at whatever time she feels like remains hers.
I know people who have gotten married young and are currently in the middle or have been through some messy divorces especially when kids are involved. But I also know that marrying young works out great for a lot of people so honestly kudos to you if it does/did.

But for some people, getting financial dependent is more important so that they can actually raise said child because kids are expensive. And financially dependent for some people means progressing through their career
Original post by Buluhmag
what the article says is true.
if you do research on why some religions or cultures
believe in early marriage, you will find that most of thir concern resolved around that article.
and if you go deep with science findings.. still the same.
all I can say is
a girl should be taught all this by her parents and then a decision to get married earlier or at whatever time she feels like remains hers.

No, it's a very old myth :smile: The reason why many cultures wanted children young was because the mortality rates were much higher, thus many wouldn't live into their 30s, especially considering the risk of death by childbirth. But in the modern day, no outside of an underlying medical problem, a woman can have a child at 30 without a problem.
I think women should have babies when they are ready and not according to statistics which are likely to change over time.
Times have changed from when I was a girl. I was a stay at home mum like much of my generation. But women have more opportunity now and more life choices and I think that’s an improvement all round for women.
As far as getting married is concerned, that is also a personal choice. When I was left widowed with a child in 1972, I was treated the same way as unmarried mothers of the day and it was not pleasant. Who wants to return to that.?
Reply 8
It is a myth to think that fertility doesn't drop. It does. The risk of miscarriage also increases. By your early 40s, 50% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. The risk of stillbirths also goes up. As do the risks to the mother. Emotionally, miscarriages are devastating and can destroy a relationship. I know because I've lost a baby. It is not a risk you want to take. It is a myth that you can have babies later in life with no worries. Fertility treatment is very expensive and not always funded on the NHS. It is also very tough to go through and doesn't always work.

Women have choice over when to have children - some of us prefer to be secure in a good marriage and then establish a career first. You then have a good financial base to have a family - 35 is not too old to have children

Remember men can take career breaks and be the main carer ... each family has to decide what is best for them.
Original post by stettafire
No, it's a very old myth :smile: The reason why many cultures wanted children young was because the mortality rates were much higher, thus many wouldn't live into their 30s, especially considering the risk of death by childbirth. But in the modern day, no outside of an underlying medical problem, a woman can have a child at 30 without a problem.

Absolutely. I had my 7th when I was 36 with no problems at all.
Reply 11
I’d like to have babies when I’m young because I just feel it’s better and I’m likely to have more energy. I just don’t want to be having babies when I’m over 35 or something, but that’s just me. It may not be possible for everyone though so depends on the individual and their circumstances.
Reply 12
i realise this is just a hard-core troll thread but no, it's not a woman's job to be a wife and mother. there's a lot more to life than that, including running the country, making laws, treating the sick, teaching students, running businesses, building skyscrapers, creating art, inventing stuff. no, these things are not just reserved for men anymore. thank god for that.
Reply 13
There's a reason why women's happiness in Western countries has been declining steadily since the 70s -- turns out encouraging women to be men isn't all that effective in creating a happy female population. The vast majority of women would be happier adopting a traditional female role instead of attempting to be worse versions of men.
Original post by katf
It is a myth to think that fertility doesn't drop. It does. The risk of miscarriage also increases. By your early 40s, 50% of pregnancies end in miscarriage. The risk of stillbirths also goes up. As do the risks to the mother. Emotionally, miscarriages are devastating and can destroy a relationship. I know because I've lost a baby. It is not a risk you want to take. It is a myth that you can have babies later in life with no worries. Fertility treatment is very expensive and not always funded on the NHS. It is also very tough to go through and doesn't always work.

I was referring to a woman in their 30s versus in their 20s. Not comparing women in their 40s. When you hit your 40s your fertility rates drop because of pre-monopause, so its hardly a fair comparison.
Reply 15
Original post by stettafire
I was referring to a woman in their 30s versus in their 20s. Not comparing women in their 40s. When you hit your 40s your fertility rates drop because of pre-monopause, so its hardly a fair comparison.

Even in your 30s, the risks start to go up. The odds of getting pregnant start to decrease, and the odds of miscarriage increase. By your late 30s, the odds of miscarriage hit 22%. In your 20s, the odds are 8%. If you want to have kids, it's a good idea to start younger and not to wait.
Reply 16

because

https://twitter.com/prosperity4all3/status/1035899973660028928

when we can concentrate all our focus on getting to the top of our chosen field because
toddlers have bigger brains with stay at home mom say scientists
https://twitter.com/prosperity4all3/status/1035888776646668288

Couldn't care less what Women do in regards to age and babies. However IVF should be banned from the NHS and Women should be made to pay for it. Why do Taxpayers have to pay for a lifestyle choice, you don't have to have a baby.

Stingy, Stupid and Selfish women who decide to wait until their 35 waiting for a george clooney should be made to suffer for their idiocy and lack of intelligence coupled in with their femnist agenda
This is really good Nikki. You obviously know how careers and life work.
shouldn't we choose to get married and have babies with a man who will be a good husband and father when we are young healthy and fertile?

So when are you leaving the forum to get on with your womanly duties?
They increase so slightly its not significant. Again, old myth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending