The Student Room Group

How to use Revision Cards and Class Notes for revision (Yr 10)

I seriously need help with organisation. I know TSR has student planner as well as info on Revision cards and notes. But for me , I don't know how to condense class notes into flashcards and how many to make and how long I should spend on them.
As soon as I get home, I will try and recap the topic I have done in school (E.g Organisation In Biology) But i do not know how. Please help
I am also taking 3 Humanities (GEO, HISTORY, RS) and I don't know how to revise for them.
Reply 1
Hi,

Use revision guides and the specification on specific topics because usually they help in condensing important information. Also, when you are doing exam papers, you will get the feel of what exams require most and you can also add or highlight it on your revision cards.

Hope this help.
Reply 2
Original post by Yodalam
Hi,

Use revision guides and the specification on specific topics because usually they help in condensing important information. Also, when you are doing exam papers, you will get the feel of what exams require most and you can also add or highlight it on your revision cards.

Hope this help.

Thank You, but all my school covers is the ENTIRE specification so there is no extra detail so I do not know how to condense 13 A4 pages on Cell Biology into a 10-15 flashcards. Also where would i find these revision guides? I am taking AQA btw
Reply 3
Original post by EO4LIF3
Thank You, but all my school covers is the ENTIRE specification so there is no extra detail so I do not know how to condense 13 A4 pages on Cell Biology into a 10-15 flashcards. Also where would i find these revision guides? I am taking AQA btw

You can buy the revision guides online from amazon.

You will obviously need to use more flash cards but these should be prompts not full detailed notes as they should be completed in class. Flash cards help you during your spare time or before the exam.
Reply 4
Original post by Yodalam
You can buy the revision guides online from amazon.

You will obviously need to use more flash cards but these should be prompts not full detailed notes as they should be completed in class. Flash cards help you during your spare time or before the exam.

So does CGP do revision guides AND deep revision books. How would I use a revision guide and how would I know what should go on the flashcard? They may be prompts but in order to trigger my memories they would need to contain details. So my question is how would you know what to put on the flashcards then? Please give an example using the topic Organisation in Biology
You are an incredible help tbh though
Reply 5
Original post by EO4LIF3
So does CGP do revision guides AND deep revision books. How would I use a revision guide and how would I know what should go on the flashcard? They may be prompts but in order to trigger my memories they would need to contain details. So my question is how would you know what to put on the flashcards then? Please give an example using the topic Organisation in Biology
You are an incredible help tbh though

I assume that the school gives you textbooks for each subject of which you can use to make detailed notes from. If you revise using the detailed notes, closer to the exam you can use your notes from revision guides as you don’t have to stuff so much information to our head and to quicker to read the night before.

On the flash cards just write everything important I.e underlined or in bold. They can also had little pictures and words to remind you so when the knowledge questions are asked you know what to write.

For example, when revising the digestion, you can draw (or print) the digestive system neatly and annotate it using key words such as “liver -> bile -> neutralises acid and emulsified fat” and do the same for the rest of the organs involved in digestion.
Reply 6
Original post by Yodalam
I assume that the school gives you textbooks for each subject of which you can use to make detailed notes from. If you revise using the detailed notes, closer to the exam you can use your notes from revision guides as you don’t have to stuff so much information to our head and to quicker to read the night before.

On the flash cards just write everything important I.e underlined or in bold. They can also had little pictures and words to remind you so when the knowledge questions are asked you know what to write.

For example, when revising the digestion, you can draw (or print) the digestive system neatly and annotate it using key words such as “liver -> bile -> neutralises acid and emulsified fat” and do the same for the rest of the organs involved in digestion.

How long should I spend revising each school day and weekend. For Example, if we just had biology in school and we covered Enzymes. Would I spend 2 hours making and using the flashcards and then proceed to make even MORE flashcards of the CGP books after reading the topic in the CGP Books
Reply 7
Original post by EO4LIF3
How long should I spend revising each school day and weekend. For Example, if we just had biology in school and we covered Enzymes. Would I spend 2 hours making and using the flashcards and then proceed to make even MORE flashcards of the CGP books after reading the topic in the CGP Books

I think holidays are a great time to spend as much time as you need to perfect your flash cards. Detailed notes should be made in class. If you haven’t finished your notes, then you should complete it at home.

You don’t need to spend hours revising at GCSE just complete your detailed notes for enzymes as soon as you finished the topic but do the flash cards over the holidays so you can revise from them at the same time.
Reply 8
Original post by Yodalam
I think holidays are a great time to spend as much time as you need to perfect your flash cards. Detailed notes should be made in class. If you haven’t finished your notes, then you should complete it at home.

You don’t need to spend hours revising at GCSE just complete your detailed notes for enzymes as soon as you finished the topic but do the flash cards over the holidays so you can revise from them at the same time.

But flashcards of what? My ClassNotes or CGP Revision Guides? ideally they have the same content but one is briefer
How many hours do you spend revising then?
Reply 9
Original post by EO4LIF3
But flashcards of what? My ClassNotes or CGP Revision Guides? ideally they have the same content but one is briefer
How many hours do you spend revising then?

Flash cards of cgp revision guides

Spend as much time as you need to complete the tasks. It depends on your own speed and how long you can revise for. Ideally you should spend an hour after each subject lesson revising the subject including homework.

Quick Reply

Latest