The Student Room Group

How to revise REVISION NOTES ON PDFs

Many websites have PDFs but I don't know how to revise them. I could print them out but it has 100+ pages for each subject. There is also the idea of me making notes on it but that would be useless since the PDFs already have all the notes.
Help Please
You can get programs that let you highlight things on PDF

Or you could print out the best set of notes...Then add bits to them from textbooks and other notes to turn them into SUPERNOTES!!

When I get bored of revising I sometimes record myself reading my notes.(I don't re-listen to them) It forces me to focus and its less exhausting than re-writting notes

When it comes to exam time you wont want 100+ pages of notes. So I would focus on condensing them into something more manageable.

I study medicine..There was a set of notes that was 260 pages..by the end of the year I had reduced it to 49pages
Reply 2
Original post by Stormclouds
You can get programs that let you highlight things on PDF

Or you could print out the best set of notes...Then add bits to them from textbooks and other notes to turn them into SUPERNOTES!!

When I get bored of revising I sometimes record myself reading my notes.(I don't re-listen to them) It forces me to focus and its less exhausting than re-writting notes

When it comes to exam time you wont want 100+ pages of notes. So I would focus on condensing them into something more manageable.

I study medicine..There was a set of notes that was 260 pages..by the end of the year I had reduced it to 49pages

How did you condense it? How did you know what was relevant and what wasn't? I want to take medicine and I have to say Biology is extremely tiring becuase there is so much content
About the 'SUPERNOTES' HOW LONG WOULD THIS BE? and should this be made on google docs or something?
Reply 3
A few guys at my school printed like hundreds of pages of notes so I guess you could try lol.
You can always make condensed notes picking out the important bits of information, you can use the specification to do that. It wouldn't be useless as the act of writing down notes and information helps you memorise the content. Just don't copy word for word as that just doesn't help.
Reply 4
Original post by oodpos
A few guys at my school printed like hundreds of pages of notes so I guess you could try lol.
You can always make condensed notes picking out the important bits of information, you can use the specification to do that. It wouldn't be useless as the act of writing down notes and information helps you memorise the content. Just don't copy word for word as that just doesn't help.

Using the specification? Very good idea but how else should i write it aside from ' word for word ' because I would rather have the textbook definiton thsan my own
Supernotes- I tried them once in 1st year, I did using one note. It was great at the time, because it gave me depth of understanding, and everything I could possibly want to know about a topic was there
I don't do this anymore because I don't have the time

Condensed notes
When you start learning a topic you will want everything there.(keep the originals)
Then remove the things you already know (like topic introductions because you may have learnt that at GCSE)*

*Then if you are revising and your notes do not make sense you can always go back to the original

Closer to exam time.....you might remove some difficult topics. My reasoning is...If I don't understand it by now, I trying to understand it is going to waste time and stress me out, I am going to focus on remembering the things I know.

Think of it like this....
If you had an exam on photosynthesis, and you could only take 1 piece of paper in. What would be the most useful information to take?

:tongue: Unfortunately/Fortunately you will never get to take notes into an exam

I had an anatomy exam, and we were told we could bring in any textbook we want.People spent so much time trying to find the perfect textbook to take to the exam.

Keep going :smile:
When you start anything new there will always be a mountain of things to learn. Towards the end it will turn into
1. Stuff I know
2. Stuff I need to learn/revise
3. Stuff that is useless, or I cant be bothered with
Reply 6
Original post by EO4LIF3
Using the specification? Very good idea but how else should i write it aside from ' word for word ' because I would rather have the textbook definiton thsan my own

The thing with making notes is that you can use many different resources at once and do what is best for you. Personalise notes to the way you like them and just make sure to take out key parts. Don't write words you don't need to keep it as simplified as possible, like an arrow up could mean an increase. And you can just write down a few words that could represent an entire sentence in the pdf.
With definitions you could write a list of all the definitions and go over them when you want.
(edited 5 years ago)
turn the notes into questions and go over using flashcards

Quick Reply

Latest