The Student Room Group

Early Help for Excellent GCSE results

My daughter is almost 13 going into Year 8 in a few days.
She did SATS before she left primary and did exams at the end of her 1st year in high school, however she’s scoring cause for concern on both results.
I’ve not been helping her as much as I should (smaller child who has disabilities taking over most of my time) of and School just put her in the lower classes.

My question is, does anyone recommend any online programmes or books that are going to support her to enable her to get good GCSE results ?

I don’t mind how much the programmes or books cost.

Thank you in advance
Reply 1
I'd recommend not doing any of that. Making a child do a load of work outside of school, on top of homework, is a recipe for disaster and mental illness. I am not fear-mongering. I am speaking from experience. These online programs especially are often very intense.

Has she ever been assessed for specific learning difficulties? That could be dyslexia, dyspraxia or dyscalcula. That could be the reason why she's struggling. And there is support available, but you'll have to massively push for it. If she has something like that, then afterschool programmes designed for neurotypical kids will be a disaster. It's like forcing a square peg into a round hole.

Girls are frequently not diagnosed with learning difficulties. Most of the time they're fairly good at hiding it, until secondary school when the work starts to creep up and it all comes crashing down.
Reply 2
Hi there!
I'm currently going into year 13 but got 3x9, 5xA* and 2xA at GCSE.

Year 8 is far far far to early to start doing online courses for GCSEs. Also, I would not recommend online courses for anyone. They are simply a waste of money and a sure fire way to increase stress. It will burn her out and reduce her motivation.

But I do understand your worry!
I would recommend encouraging her to do some extra work at home using the textbooks provided by her school. Maybe reading ahead of lessons or doing a few questions on current topics being taught.

The BBC bitesize website was my saviour at GCSE. I personally believe, at GCSE level, revision guides are a waste of money. BBC bitesize is an amazing resource.

I would like to add, that my parents were able to fund a years maths tuition that ensured I got a 9.
This was expensive but very helpful.

So yeah,
BBC bitesize and a maths tutor

I wish your daughter the best of luck!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you both for your replies. I think I’m just worried if I do nothing now then it’s going to be too late in a couple of years time.

I’ve expressed my concerns to the School (explaining my sons got classic autism and his level of scoring on sats etc is similar to hers), but they just say she’s fine when her scores say otherwise.

She’s in bottom sets for all her subjects and says she hates it as she’s with badly behaved children who rule the class and the teachers have given up.

Her homework was few and far between, maybe 1 piece of big homework every 4 months.

I will look into the bbc bite size as I’ve seen others mention this.

Thank you again for your replies x
Reply 4
Original post by Allyson22
Thank you both for your replies. I think I’m just worried if I do nothing now then it’s going to be too late in a couple of years time.

I’ve expressed my concerns to the School (explaining my sons got classic autism and his level of scoring on sats etc is similar to hers), but they just say she’s fine when her scores say otherwise.

She’s in bottom sets for all her subjects and says she hates it as she’s with badly behaved children who rule the class and the teachers have given up.

Her homework was few and far between, maybe 1 piece of big homework every 4 months.

I will look into the bbc bite size as I’ve seen others mention this.

Thank you again for your replies x

Changing school might be an option? Or home education if she's quite self motivated and sensible.
Reply 5
Original post by katf
Changing school might be an option? Or home education if she's quite self motivated and sensible.

To be honest, because of my sons autism severity, I might be home schooling him, really don’t think I could home School them both.

Shes sensible and a very good kid, doesn’t have any friends though and doesn’t go out, isn’t 24/7 on an Xbox etc though, she just draws and loves art.

But educationally nothing sinks in, which is why I thought about which books / online programmes to use so I could help her, will try bbc bite size though
My best advice as someone who has just finished GCSEs is to take it slow, chances are if you give her GCSE work now and she's in lower classes it will only stress her out. Ask her teachers if there is any work that she can do to stretch her ability in her free time. Also, it might be worth you asking if she can go up a set because you're worried about disruption in learning. Try and find out how she learns best e.g is she a kinaesthetic, auditory or visual learner and then look at methods that relate to this.
Original post by StarbucksLife14
My best advice as someone who has just finished GCSEs is to take it slow, chances are if you give her GCSE work now and she's in lower classes it will only stress her out. Ask her teachers if there is any work that she can do to stretch her ability in her free time. Also, it might be worth you asking if she can go up a set because you're worried about disruption in learning. Try and find out how she learns best e.g is she a kinaesthetic, auditory or visual learner and then look at methods that relate to this.

Do I have any tips for GCSEs I’m going into ur 11
Original post by Sarahgoldman
Do I have any tips for GCSEs I’m going into ur 11

Start your revision early from around March but in small amounts such as making notes for 30 minutes a day and gradually build up the time as exams get closer. That way you can get into the habit of revision and don't feel as though you're straight in the deep end. If you feel stressed don't be afraid to take a break or a mental health day on the weekend to recharge because your mental health is important to get you through exams. It's cliche but past papers and samples will save your life - they're free, they are good practice and you can also see what they can potentially ask (if older) or (probably won't )if newer. Lots of questions this year were almost identical to some in past papers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest