The Student Room Group

why are guys scared of intelligent girls?

I know this isn't true for all guys, but I've talked to lots of different boys and they all seem very put out once I tell them that I'm into studying/etc. Genuinely every single guy I've ever mentioned to that I'm taking further maths a-level has said "i never thought you'd be the type to take that alevel" or something along those lines. I had a friend who said she wanted to be a doctor when she was older and the guy was like 'oh, you get good enough grades for that?' and asked her for her gcse & alevel results like he didn't believe he was clever enough to do that...
Is it true guys are scared of intelligent girls?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, it's not true for all guys. Are you this woman?

[video="youtube;FNmBauXYzgc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmBauXYzgc[/video]

Do these guys you've spoken to also like studying or not?
(edited 5 years ago)
those are boys they get intimidated when people do better than them. Real men prefer intelligent women who they can have intellectual debates and discussions with, anyone who undermines you due to your gender is insecure.
a lot are tbh, many would prefer a pretty bimbo they can have more control over... so be glad you know what they're after and avoid them and go out with the guys who are turned on by your intelligence.
Original post by aliceoko

Nope. Just girls who think they're intelligent and go on about it so much that I'd rather date a brick.
intelligent girls are less easy for them to submit
Original post by Anonymous
a lot are tbh, many would prefer a pretty bimbo they can have more control over... so be glad you know what they're after and avoid them and go out with the guys who are turned on by your intelligence.

That's a good point!! Maybe I'll try bring up my a-levels and see if they get put off, so then I'll know they are just that kind of guy haha..
This is like one of the nice guy threads.
Original post by Sataris
No, it's not true for all guys. Are you this woman?

[video="youtube;FNmBauXYzgc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNmBauXYzgc[/video]

Do these guys you've spoken to also like studying or not?

That video is hilarious haha.. Most of the guys I spoke to didn't mind it, but like weren't study enthusiasts or anything. One of them really enjoyed studying and was taking further maths too, but still said 'oh i would've never have guessed youd be able to take fm'
Reply 9
Maybe you and/or your friend just don't come across as particularly nerdy or bookish, and these guys are just surprised rather than scared.
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Nope. Just girls who think they're intelligent and go on about it so much that I'd rather date a brick.

That's fair enough haha anyone who talks about anything too much can get pretty wearing.
implying you have to be clever to get good grades lol
Reply 12
You are still at school, you can't judge men based on what teenage boys say. In fact, if you ask any teenager most of them wouldn't really be interested in hearing about educational achievements. This age group doesn't care about further maths or medical aspirations and they aren't looking for a suitable life partner, making intelligence not the top desirable feature.

Once you get to uni and survive first year, it tends to improve. But I doubt right now you will find many boys your age impressed by your A level choice.
x

It can be threatening to the male on an instinctual level since the female's traditionally supposed to devote her time to the children rather than take her mathematics to town. So I'd say it's because men often look to settle down with women who aren't career-oriented, but of course that doesn't apply to all men.

It's also not a great feeling to find out that your wife's making more money than you.
I don't mind intelligent girls in the slightest, so long as they don't want to have debates all the time because the part of my brain that needs stimulating intellectually is already worked aplenty.
I know this isn't true for all guys, but I've talked to lots of different boys and they all seem very put out once I tell them that I'm into studying/etc. Genuinely every single guy I've ever mentioned to that I'm taking further maths a-level has said "i never thought you'd be the type to take that alevel" or something along those lines. I had a friend who said she wanted to be a doctor when she was older and the guy was like 'oh, you get good enough grades for that?' and asked her for her gcse & alevel results like he didn't believe he was clever enough to do that...

Personally, I dont mind if a girl likes to study, thats just how they are and shouldn't be put down for what they enjoy to do. But in terms of other guys, it is definitely a possibility as someone previously mentioned about natural instinct with the female stereotype being stay at home looking after children, and men being the breadwinners. But honestly, for me, it depends how they use the intelligence, like do they use it to put others down and try to make themselves seem better than everyone else, or do they use it to push themselves to achieve everything they dream about...

In a nutshell, I am personally not scared of intelligent girls, but other guys might feel a bit awkward or scared.

wth, hell no, intelligent girls are sexy. are you sure it's not your appearance scaring them. i watch shows like suits with very attractive smart lawyer girls they are a turn on

All the girls I am close to I see as intelligent! It means we can study together etc... I personally really like it ... maybe some don't because they feel you won't have time for them or that they wont be able to control you
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I don't mind intelligent girls in the slightest, so long as they don't want to have debates all the time because the part of my brain that needs stimulating intellectually is already worked aplenty.

This. Intelligence is attractive for sure.

But some posters above want to have 'intellectual' debates and conversation.

I don't particularly care for that anymore, if I can have a good time with someone that's all that matters. Don't care for intellectual masturbation if i'm with a beautiful woman.

Tbh that alone doesn’t really bother most men. Maybe it’s the fact you are good looking or something as well. So they feel like you are better looking and smarter than them, so you are superior to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending