The Student Room Group

Increase in fees for international students that are applying to medical schools?

Scroll to see replies

That's excluding college fees, which are an additional £6,700-£12,700 per year :eek:
Yup, and if you take into account the effect of taxation, you may never earn that in post tax income even as a consultant!
Reply 22
OMG, it means only the richest will be studying Medicine in the uk but not the brightest students. Can we sign a petition or smth?? :frown:
Reply 23
Many unis do not show Medicine tuition fees for internartional students for 2019 entry on their website. Yet UCAS deadline for Medicine is coming in a month! It would be very unfair if we get into medical school in 2019 and they tell us in the middle of the course that our fees have increased substantially. I don't understand why they don't state clearly?!
Original post by aikaaki
Many unis do not show Medicine tuition fees for internartional students for 2019 entry on their website. Yet UCAS deadline for Medicine is coming in a month! It would be very unfair if we get into medical school in 2019 and they tell us in the middle of the course that our fees have increased substantially. I don't understand why they don't state clearly?!

I agree so much. Like I can pay around 34,000 pounds for 6 years and I'm looking for/applying to schools around that range, but if they increase the fees to like more than 40,000 pounds it gets tight and it's not even worth putting in. If they announce the fees post-application and I can't afford the school I've been working so hard towards, I'll be so aggravated - seriously, why not tell us earlier? We should be fully informed.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by 999tigger
Then Brexit could be a good thing and besides what you quoted in your thread imo there could be a chance fees could go down.

Brexit is very uncertain at the moment and if it means the economy goes into recession or fewer people want to do business with the UK it would mean the £ would weaken. Depending what your country is it could mean your currency becomes stronger so you get more £ and this the course becomes cheaper.

Example since brexit the £ is trading circa 15% less against the dollar.
Brexit might induce a further fall in the £ and that means a cheaper course for you. Not as significant as the rise you are pointing out.

Contact your medical school and start getting some numbers. the government should also release further details to confirm what will happen.

EU students could be protected based on whats agreed under brexit. At the moment they will not be.

Thank you
Reply 26
Original post by 999tigger
Surely the increase their own part by no more than inflation is neither here nor there for an international student. The cause for concern are any events outside their control dictated by the government?

1. Does this mean the UK has until this point been a highly attractive place to do medicine due to the subsidy?
2. How will UK medical schools compare on fees after the change?

I would be gutted if i was just doing A levels now. Its a shame as not every international family is rich and they cna make great sacrifices to send their child to medical school.

Bit like I would be very happy if I was starting as an international or EU student this year.

They could have at least phased it in.

Yeah, my friends got into medical school this year and I don’t really want to pay higher fees compare to her because I am applying for next year. Kinda feel good for her though...

I am not sure if I should apply for medical school in my country because if I do, I will only need to get good grades and don’t need work experience, UKCAT, BMAT and less preparation to interview... As they value more to good grades and it is hard for me to get hospital experience now... I can only do volunteering. Also I don’t even know how can I go to interview if I apply to uk medical school because I am in my country for the whole year. I can’t imagine that I will have to buy tickets and travel to uk just for one interview. And that can be 4 times if I apply to 4 medical schools that have quite different interview days.
But I have been studying in uk for quite a few years right now and quite used to the people in uk... I feel more confident in speaking in English than my home language.
2. University of Lancaster have listed the fees is likely to be about £41540- £56540 and the work placement fees are likely to be in the range of £10000 - £25000, so the fees should still be lower than Cambridge. Queens Mary University of London shows the same fee as last year which is £34300 but I feel like maybe they haven’t update their website
Reply 27
Original post by waleed99
As an international student who is planning to apply in oct 2019, this is the most devastating thing I've read in ages.

Yeah same...
Reply 28
Original post by Mamakata
Regarding the quota, it should be 7.5% cap so if a medical school has places for 200 medical students it can take only 15 international students max.

The international fees for medicine will definitely go up substantially in 2019. They are not bound to limit fee increase to inflation but the actual cost (according to their calculations). For example Cambridge has clearly published that fees will be £70,131 each year for 6 years! Other universities seem to be in the £30,000-40,000 range but that’s still very steep. If cost is a constraint may be worth looking at Ireland instead.

Isn’t the quota is going to be increased?
Reply 29
Original post by seasoncolors
I agree so much. Like I can pay around 34,000 pounds for 6 years and I'm looking for/applying to schools around that range, but if they increase the fees to like more than 40,000 pounds it gets tight and it's not even worth putting in. If they announce the fees post-application and I can't afford the school I've been working so hard towards, I'll be so aggravated - seriously, why not tell us earlier? We should be fully informed.

Maybe apply to medical schools that have a 5 year program?
Original post by on9977t
Maybe apply to medical schools that have a 5 year program?

I am! It was just a ballpark on how much money I'm willing to spend on medical school (I was too lazy to calculate the total lol)
So far I have found these fees for 2019: Imperial £41k, Liverpool £34,550, QMUL £34,300, Glasgow £45,170 (plus the astronomical £70k+ fees for Cambridge discussed further above). Most other unis have not published their 2019 fees but would think they will be in similar ranges. For medicine, universities have added the caveat (for international students) that there is no fixed fee guarantee, so there is no assurance the fees won’t go up during the course. Sigh!
Reply 32
So far I have found these fees for 2019: Imperial £41k, Liverpool £34,550, QMUL £34,300, Glasgow £45,170 (plus the astronomical £70k+ fees for Cambridge discussed further above). Most other unis have not published their 2019 fees but would think they will be in similar ranges. For medicine, universities have added the caveat (for international students) that there is no fixed fee guarantee, so there is no assurance the fees won’t go up during the course. Sigh!

But for university of Liverpool and QMUL the fees is same to last year... Does it mean they won’t make us pay the clinical placement fees?
Reply 33
That is NOT set by the unis clearly. It is government's action. In fact some unis are even against that.
Reply 34
I think Manchester is also around that range for 2019. In terms of this : "For medicine, universities have added the caveat (for international students) that there is no fixed fee guarantee, so there is no assurance the fees won’t go up during the course", are you talking about the 3-5% increase each subsequent year, as they normally mention, or is it something new added recently?

So far I have found these fees for 2019: Imperial £41k, Liverpool £34,550, QMUL £34,300, Glasgow £45,170 (plus the astronomical £70k+ fees for Cambridge discussed further above). Most other unis have not published their 2019 fees but would think they will be in similar ranges.
Reply 35
Exactly, it is wrong of them to announce the fees post-application. All that stress and sweat goes to waste if one can't afford it...

Reply 36
The universities always had and will have the difference in tuition fees some charging more than others depending on their reputation/ranking, and it is understandable for unis like Oxbridge. Although there has always been a difference in tuition fees for Medicine, as far as I know, none of them made overseas students to pay for their clinical placement. And I am particularly referring to that. I am talking about a significant increase in the international fees for Medicine due to the new rule set by the government which makes international students to pay for their placement. And it is not smth that can be controlled by the unis.
Considering that we are overseas and the fact that the UK will do what benefits their government, yea, there is probably a very slim chance that we can make a difference...

Yes, from your post it is clear that you are not on the side of universities. :biggrin:
Original post by aikaaki
I think Manchester is also around that range for 2019. In terms of this : "For medicine, universities have added the caveat (for international students) that there is no fixed fee guarantee, so there is no assurance the fees won’t go up during the course", are you talking about the 3-5% increase each subsequent year, as they normally mention, or is it something new added recently?

I took a closer look, Imperial states this: The fees for continuing Overseas students will increase annually by the RPI value in the April of the calendar year in which the session commences; fees for subsequent years of study may be higher than the fee listed here.” So yeah, it’s the inflationary increase, presumably same for other unis. Let’s keep an eye on fee level when published by other unis.
My daughter starts QUB shortly and being from NI her uni fees are just over £4000 per year. She is very privileged to have this opportunity to study medicine. Like previous posts some of the costs being mentioned here are definitely insane. Not fair on good foreign students who could never afford these prices. I know we couldn’t!
Reply 39
Original post by Popeye_ukuk
My daughter starts QUB shortly and being from NI her uni fees are just over £4000 per year. She is very privileged to have this opportunity to study medicine. Like previous posts some of the costs being mentioned here are definitely insane. Not fair on good foreign students who could never afford these prices. I know we couldn’t!

I have been
I am! It was just a ballpark on how much money I'm willing to spend on medical school (I was too lazy to calculate the total lol)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending