The Student Room Group

I lack direction in life and it’s making me unhappy

I spend my day mindlessly on my phone like a zombie because I have nothing else to do, or I play Overwatch or watch a movie just to escape.

The only thing I do that’s good for me is go to the gym (I go nearly everyday), and also go for a run in the park.

I have no interests and it makes me unhappy. I can’t stay the in the gym 24/7. And I don’t want to mindlessly consume instagram content in my spare time.
Make a daily plan and stick to it.

Prisoners in max security do it to escape the ennui; I am sure you could too. Alternatives: find a job, volunteer, find a lass to shag, join a book club, start training in archery, etc.
Try to stay off social media and off your computer - it can be all too easy to spend all your time on these things. Are you at school, college, university or working currently? When you spend time with your friends, what things do you normally do?
Original post by cheesecakelove
Try to stay off social media and off your computer - it can be all too easy to spend all your time on these things. Are you at school, college, university or working currently? When you spend time with your friends, what things do you normally do?

I feel like there are no alternatives besides social media because there isn’t anything I can do?

i have just finished year 13 and I will be going university in September. In terms of social life all I can say is that my friends haven’t been reliable/loyal recently so my social life is pretty non existent.
Original post by SuperHuman98
I feel like there are no alternatives besides social media because there isn’t anything I can do?

i have just finished year 13 and I will be going university in September. In terms of social life all I can say is that my friends haven’t been reliable/loyal recently so my social life is pretty non existent.

You could focus on getting everything ready for university? What are you going to study? If you have time, you could look into doing some short-term volunteering - you can spend your time doing something constructive and meet new people, and it looks good on your CV when you come to apply for work!
Reply 5
Read a book, get a job, watch inspiring videos on YouTube (a good starting point), try photography, try drawing/painting, learn an instrument? So much information and fun things to do out there, you should always be having a good time and/or learning something new
Original post by 3121
Read a book, get a job, watch inspiring videos on YouTube (a good starting point), try photography, try drawing/painting, learn an instrument? So much information and fun things to do out there, you should always be having a good time and/or learning something new

I’ve watched inspiring videos nearly everyday for the past few years definitely just makes me feel more unhappy tbh
Since you like the gym why not join Army/Navy/RAF cadets for physical and social activities.

You could also pick up some new friends this way.
Play more videogames :smile:
Reply 9
read books proper books - life changing books, all books all men should read type ones
I spend my day mindlessly on my phone like a zombie because I have nothing else to do, or I play Overwatch or watch a movie just to escape.

The only thing I do that’s good for me is go to the gym (I go nearly everyday), and also go for a run in the park.

I have no interests and it makes me unhappy. I can’t stay the in the gym 24/7. And I don’t want to mindlessly consume instagram content in my spare time.

Find your core value (which you should look up) and try out a variety of opportunities that do or don't sound appealing to you (be open minded about what activities you do), the core value will tell you what motivates you which will guide you to find out what you want to do in life and the activities will help you find what your core value is 🙂, I figured it out at 16 and have now figured out 90% of what I want to do in life because I got lucky finding my interests early on and used the core value to know what my passions are and this know my ultimate goal in life 🙂, your core value is what drives everything you do and you find it by questioning what you like to do -> why you like to do it -> why you like the feeling of why you do it etc. Hope it helps! 😄 I know you've probably never heard of it but I'm honestly going to make it so nearly everybody around the globe knows about it 😂
Original post by Ol94
read books proper books - life changing books, all books all men should read type ones

Im reading Awaken The Giant Within by Tony Robbins currently

I’ve read a few of the books written by Carnegie
I’ve read Mastery by Robert Greene
also reading up on Stoicism

Are those the type of books you recommend?
Original post by Freedom physics
Find your core value (which you should look up) and try out a variety of opportunities that do or don't sound appealing to you (be open minded about what activities you do), the core value will tell you what motivates you which will guide you to find out what you want to do in life and the activities will help you find what your core value is 🙂, I figured it out at 16 and have now figured out 90% of what I want to do in life because I got lucky finding my interests early on and used the core value to know what my passions are and this know my ultimate goal in life 🙂, your core value is what drives everything you do and you find it by questioning what you like to do -> why you like to do it -> why you like the feeling of why you do it etc. Hope it helps! 😄 I know you've probably never heard of it but I'm honestly going to make it so nearly everybody around the globe knows about it 😂

Thanks I will find out my core value
It'll get better once you go to university. It's the lack of structure and productivity making you feel all bleh and painfully bored.
Thanks I will find out my core value

I can also help you do that if you want, although you'll have to trust me in that we might be going through deep stuff 🙂, I've done it with one of my friends tho and it was quite easy 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending