The Student Room Group

should i quit my placement?

I started a placement only 2 days ago and I HATE it! its the snobbiest place you can imagine and no one wants to be friends or even make me feel welcome there, I am absolutely dreading going into work tomorrow and all I can do is cry about it! I'm working 5 shifts and they are all 12pm-11pm or even later, I am not even doing anything there related to my degree in the slightest, I feel like I am just working there so they don't have to hire someone else. I'm scared that quitting will give my university a bad name at the place, should I quit? or am I being stupid?
Reply 1
Doesn’t matter if it gives your uni a bad name. If you’re not happy there and they’re not doing their part in welcoming you and providing you with training or what not then you’re not obliged to stay there. This principle applies to any industry you go into therefore you are within your right to act upon it. Then again it’s only 5 days so you might as well bare and grin and you’re out of there for good. Good luck with whatever you choose to do 🏋🏻*♀️
Haven’t they given you a placement support team email? If not, speak to your uni - personal tutor. Remember this is just a placement you’re not there for a full time job. :smile: hope this helps!
Is your placement a compulsory part of your degree? If so, I would guess that it's not as simple as just quitting.

If you are this upset about it, then definitely contact your uni ASAP- but I wouldn't quit until you have an ok from them.

FWIW, a lot of people don't go to work to make friends, so I wouldn't assume their lack of openness is anything personal. If it'll look good on your CV, can you just try to go in and be professional and not worry too much about how others are treating you unless they're being openly rude?
what placement are u doing to work 12 + shifts
is it medical
Reply 5
Original post by KimTrumpUn
what placement are u doing to work 12 + shifts
is it medical

no it is as a waitress
Original post by dontgo2uni
no it is as a waitress

That's not a placement then, that's a job.
I started a placement only 2 days ago and I HATE it! its the snobbiest place you can imagine and no one wants to be friends or even make me feel welcome there, I am absolutely dreading going into work tomorrow and all I can do is cry about it! I'm working 5 shifts and they are all 12pm-11pm or even later, I am not even doing anything there related to my degree in the slightest, I feel like I am just working there so they don't have to hire someone else. I'm scared that quitting will give my university a bad name at the place, should I quit? or am I being stupid?

Stuff like this make me think cancelling my placement year and not doing a placement year is a good idea
Reply 8
Original post by Helloworld_95

no it is a placement for my university degree

Waitressing should by no means be a placement for a university degree, I'm confused as to why you would accept such a job?

Your best bet is probably to quit as soon as possible and return to the non-placement course
Yes x

What's your degree and how is placement related to it?
Original post by ThePricklyOne
What's your degree and how is placement related to it?

" I do Film Studies BSc at University of Greenwich "

lol doing waitressing should not count as a placement

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Helloworld_95

very late to replying but it is for an events management degree. and the degree is hospitality based, so waitressing was a viable placement
Reply 15
Original post by Princepieman
lol doing waitressing should not count as a placement

Posted from TSR Mobile

its for an events management degree, and events management is hospitality based. so doing waitressing as a placement is a viable option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending