The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

I've been SCAMMED 4025 pounds!

Hey guys,
So I applied to UEL (UNIVERSITY OF EAST LONDON) this for this September session for computing in Business along with foundation course. So, as usual after meeting the criteria I've to pay the initial deposit worth 4000 pounds. After making the payment, UEL emailed my agent saying that they are refunding the money, also they sent a refund letter with that email, they said that they are not accepting any Bangladeshi candidates this year. I filled up the email and sent it back. It's been 1 month since I sent the refund letter but there's no sign of getting my money back. I message and email UEL, they "SEEN" the text but they never reply. I don't know what to do now!I've been scammed I guess. On the refund letter it has been stated that UEL will refund my money within 4-6 weeks, but it's already been this week limit. What do I do now?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Not sure if it falls within their domain but maybe
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/ would be somewhere to start
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by pdbh32
Not sure if it falls within their domain but maybe
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/ would be somewhere to start

WITHIN THEIR DOMAIN??? what does it mean?
Reply 3
Dude chill, they’re not allowed to do that. They’re a university they have standards. Just call them and say you haven’t had your money back. They should be able sort this out, it’s very unlikely a university would just take your money
Reply 4
Original post by Basit Peyal
WITHIN THEIR DOMAIN??? what does it mean?

As in I am not sure it is their responsibility to deal with problems like yours. From the home page of their website:

'We were set up by Parliament to sort out complaints between financial businesses and their customers. We can help with most financial services including banking, insurance, PPI, loans, mortgages, pensions and investments. If something’s gone wrong, we have the power to put it right.'

Clearly there is no mention of universities defrauding students, however it might be worth a shot and would probably be the first place I looked to for help in your situation; at the very least they should be able to point you in the right direction.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by pdbh32
As in I am not sure it is their responsibility to deal with problems like yours. From the home page of their website:

'We were set up by Parliament to sort out complaints between financial businesses and their customers. We can help with most financial services including banking, insurance, PPI, loans, mortgages, pensions and investments. If something’s gone wrong, we have the power to put it right.'

Clearly there is no mention of universities defrauding students, however it might be worth a shot and would probably be the first place I looked for help in your situation; at the very least they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm thinking of making a call to uni...then have to take the further steps but Does that website deal with overseas customers? cause I applied to UEL as an international student...im from Bangladesh.
Reply 6
I'm thinking of making a call to uni....

I would definitely do this first, as more likely than not this will resolve your issue. I assumed you'd already done this (to no avail) or else would have recommended this first.

Does that website deal with overseas customers? cause I applied to UEL as an international student...im from Bangladesh.

By the looks of it, yes.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/answers/complaints_a11.html
Reply 7
Original post by Tichey
Dude chill, they’re not allowed to do that.

Newsflash: people do things even when they're 'not allowed to'.
Reply 8
Original post by pdbh32

Dont say that...i get goosebumps
Reply 9
Original post by pdbh32

Lmao, not when they have a reputation to uphold and where 4000 is like change to them.
Original post by Tichey
Lmao, not when they have a reputation to uphold and where 4000 is like change to them.

I guess so, cause UEL has 21 million dollar sports dock...thats what i saw in their website...4000 is nothing for them....
Reply 11
Original post by Tichey

I agree, and you'll note that is why I only quoted the first sentence of your reply, which struck me as particularly stupid/naive.
Seems like a case of someone getting duped. I don't think the people you paid are actually affiliated with the university.
Original post by TechnoPirate
Seems like a case of someone getting duped. I don't think the people you paid are actually affiliated with the university.

I paid via bank transfer...i asked UEL they said they received my payment.
Reply 14
I paid via bank transfer...i asked UEL they said they received my payment.

How did you ask UEL, by email? If so, check the email correspondance, and click onto the name in the 'From' field of the email header to find the actual email address you have been corresponding with. It is possible to spoof the name that comes up in the header and pretend to be someone you're not.
Original post by pdbh32
How did you ask UEL, by email? If so, check the email correspondance, and click onto the name in the 'From' field of the email header to find the actual email address you have been corresponding with. It is possible to spoof the name that comes up in the header and pretend to be someone you're not.

I asked them in their facebook messenger...the guy who was talking to me called the international officer upon my request...officer said YES
Reply 16
I asked them in their facebook messenger...the guy who was talking to me called the international officer upon my request...officer said YES

They gave you bank details over facebook messenger?
Original post by pdbh32
They gave you bank details over facebook messenger?

Capturee.PNG
Capturee.PNG

No i have been emailed....
Reply 19
Capturee.PNG

Providing that was with UEL's genuine facebook account, then this side of the story seems to check out, i.e. it would appear you haven't been duped by an imposter. So if it has been the 6 weeks like you said, I would call them and ask them where your money is!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending