The Student Room Group

an unorganised teenage boy's journey to 8A*'s : my year 11 gyg

heyyy everyone :beer:
so, year 11.

oh dear god.

i'm not prepared for this.

that's why I need you guys!

let's all talk, help each other with subjects, because i'm sure in the coming posts you are going to learn about my relationship with maths...
yeah.... i can't do it to save my life:ahhhhh:

sooo, here it goes.

i'm owen, 15 and starting year 11 in two days.

damn.

i don't really have any hobbies- well, except I love football and video games, but that's about it tbh.

just your average, typical teenager.

sooo, let's get into the juicy stuff :tong:

the subjects I'm taking

Spoiler

end of year 10 mock grades

Spoiler

soo, yeah, they aren't very good.

but, in my defence, without sounding like a snob, I didn't revise, and I can truthfully say that.

in my december mocks I'm going to revise thoroughly and get the grades I want come next august.

scratch that, we're going to revise and get the grades we want.
that's why I made this.
let's do it together.
so, without further ado, here are the grades I want next august:

grades I want:

Spoiler

soo, hopefully, if all goes accordingly, i'll get 8A*'s and 2B's.

my revision schedule is pretty hectic, i gotta admit that, but I'm up for it.

and now *deep, dramatic breath,* the future.

after gcse's

Spoiler

long term

Spoiler

as you can see, i'm an unorganised, normal teenager with dreams, like millions of others.

this has been long, i've rambled on for ages lol, so let's summarise this.

this year is big.
and alone, it's difficult.
so let's do it together.

let's absolutely smash it, so next august when we open our brown envelopes, hearts in our mouths, we can cry tears of happiness.

i hope you all enjoy this, and i'll be updating it daily with pictures, messages and most likely my panic attacks soon enough! :burnout:

:bumps:

- owen x

p.s. i've wanted to do a gyg for months and months, so i'm really, really excited!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Just a heads up, grade 6s are equivalent to Bs, not As.
Reply 2
Original post by Burning321
Just a heads up, grade 6s are equivalent to Bs, not As.

sorry lol, my mistake I knew that!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
if you would like to be tagged or removed, just let me know

thanks x
Thanks for tagging me! I'm also taking history, what history topics are you doing?
aw hiya!! i’ll deffo be following. i got pretty similar grades to the ones you want (4 9s/4 8s/2 Bs) - if you’re actually getting 8s in a history mock without revising you will deffo get an 8/9, same for eng lang! i’m doing pol/history/philosophy this year so i’ll let you know how i find them and hopefully that’ll help you decide!! again, i want to do history at oxford so pretty similar there! i’ll deffo be following, it feels like watching myself go through y11 again :wink:)
Reply 6
Original post by eleanoric
Thanks for tagging me! I'm also taking history, what history topics are you doing?

heyy!

I’m doing:

germany 1890- 1945
anglo saxon and norman reign
medicine- health and the people
conflict and tension in asia

how about you?
what board are you?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by pinegrove
aw hiya!! i’ll deffo be following. i got pretty similar grades to the ones you want (4 9s/4 8s/2 Bs) - if you’re actually getting 8s in a history mock without revising you will deffo get an 8/9, same for eng lang! i’m doing pol/history/philosophy this year so i’ll let you know how i find them and hopefully that’ll help you decide!! again, i want to do history at oxford so pretty similar there! i’ll deffo be following, it feels like watching myself go through y11 again :wink:)

no wayyy!!

that’s incredible, I can’t believe I found my academic doppelgänger loool

I hope I come out with the same grades as you then ahaha

wow I have sooo many questions for you haha

may I ask what you got the 9’s and 8’s in?

thanksss x
Original post by s.m999
no wayyy!!

that’s incredible, I can’t believe I found my academic doppelgänger loool

I hope I come out with the same grades as you then ahaha

wow I have sooo many questions for you haha

may I ask what you got the 9’s and 8’s in?

thanksss x

9s in eng lit, eng lang, geography and religious studies
8s in history, media and combined science
then 6s in maths and health & social care bc i gave up looool

feel free to ask me anything!!
Reply 9
Original post by pinegrove
9s in eng lit, eng lang, geography and religious studies
8s in history, media and combined science
then 6s in maths and health & social care bc i gave up looool

feel free to ask me anything!!

ok this is getting creepy now haha

that’s exactly what I’m aiming for

6 in maths and 8 in combined science haha

wow, so when did you start revising and how long for?
Thanks for the tag Owen! Will defo be following.
Thanks for the inspirational messages, and trust me - we’re all unorganised and messed up in our own way lol. Best of luck for Wednesday! Let us know how it went :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by RazzzBerries
Thanks for the tag Owen! Will defo be following.
Thanks for the inspirational messages, and trust me - we’re all unorganised and messed up in our own way lol. Best of luck for Wednesday! Let us know how it went :smile:

thanks! yeah lol I’m actually sooo unorganised!

I’ve sorted out a revision timetable and I’m going to stick to it.

and you know why?

cos all of you guys are going to push me and make sure I do, like I will be doing with you guys!

It’s wayyy to hard trying to do it alone when hundreds of other people are in the same position, so why not do it together, eh?

i’m going to update this with my revision timetable and a few other bits later today.

thanks

:wink:
Good luck! I think you can nail these GCSEs! You're going to need to put in a few extra hours but opening the envelope on Results Day will make it all worth it. Start now, and your future self will thank you for keeping the material together for it. Little and often.
Original post by s.m999
thanks! yeah lol I’m actually sooo unorganised!

I’ve sorted out a revision timetable and I’m going to stick to it.

and you know why?

cos all of you guys are going to push me and make sure I do, like I will be doing with you guys!

It’s wayyy to hard trying to do it alone when hundreds of other people are in the same position, so why not do it together, eh?

i’m going to update this with my revision timetable and a few other bits later today.

thanks

:wink:

It’s good you’re preparing what you can, though! Yeah, I like the little community of Year 11s (and other years) they are supporting each other. We’re all in this together right? And you’re right, the more we push each other to strive for their goals, the more impact we feel on ourselves too. Love this, keep me tagged!
Reply 14
It’s good you’re preparing what you can, though! Yeah, I like the little community of Year 11s (and other years) they are supporting each other. We’re all in this together right? And you’re right, the more we push each other to strive for their goals, the more impact we feel on ourselves too. Love this, keep me tagged!

yeah exactly, let’s all be happy come results day, right?

and it’s only round the corner, so work starts now.

the more you put in the more you get out.

will do! thanks ;-)

p.s. if you know anyone else that would be interested in this please let me know and I’ll get them tagged!

thanksss x
Reply 15
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
Good luck! I think you can nail these GCSEs! You're going to need to put in a few extra hours but opening the envelope on Results Day will make it all worth it. Start now, and your future self will thank you for keeping the material together for it. Little and often.

thank you!
that’s exactly right!
what year are you in?

can I tag you?

:smile:
Original post by s.m999
yeah exactly, let’s all be happy come results day, right?

and it’s only round the corner, so work starts now.

the more you put in the more you get out.

will do! thanks ;-)

p.s. if you know anyone else that would be interested in this please let me know and I’ll get them tagged!

thanksss x

True. I will link your GYG on my own on Wednesday when I tell everyone about my first day back. Np x
Reply 17
True. I will link your GYG on my own on Wednesday when I tell everyone about my first day back. Np x

thanksss! X
Original post by s.m999
thank you!
that’s exactly right!
what year are you in?

can I tag you?

:smile:

I'm in Year 12, starting the day after tomorrow. I cleared my GCSEs very well. I used the strategy of sticking post-it revision notes across five sides of doors. It allowed me to read all my notes from one point. But also use all the past papers you can find. Save them for when you've finished your notes.
Reply 19
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
I'm in Year 12, starting the day after tomorrow. I cleared my GCSEs very well. I used the strategy of sticking post-it revision notes across five sides of doors. It allowed me to read all my notes from one point. But also use all the past papers you can find. Save them for when you've finished your notes.

wow that’s a good shout!
may I ask what grades you got?

Quick Reply

Latest