The Student Room Group

Average ENGAA test score?

what would be recommended as a strong score in each separate section for the Cambridge engineering admissions test?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SufferinStudent
what would be recommended as a strong score in each separate section for the Cambridge engineering admissions test?

Roughly 50% is average, so anything above that is good.

There's no pass mark and it's just one aspect of your application.

PS. I moving this to the University of Cambridge forum

The marks seen by colleges are scaled to 1.0 to 9.0 by Cambridge Assessment (not 0-9 - 0 indicates a no show). The way these marks are used is much much more nuanced than simply regarding a certain score as being "good". There are candidates who received offers with <3 [1] and those rejected with 9's as it is just one part of the assessment.

There is little point worrying about the stats - take the assessment and try to do as well as you are able.

I asked for the average scores of 2017 engaa takers for anyone who is interested:
-------------------------------------------------------Mean - all applicants ---Mean - offer-holders

Maths &Physics (raw) ---------------------------------19.1 --------------------------22.6

Section 1 Ad Maths & Physics (raw) --------------11.0 --------------------------14.9

Section 1 Maths & Physics (reported) -------------5.3 ----------------------------6.9

Section 1 Ad Maths & Physics (reported) --------4.8 ----------------------------6.6

Section 2 Revised Mark ( /38) ----------------------25.0 ---------------------------30.1

Section 2 Revised Mark (%) ------------------------65.9% ------------------------79.2%
Original post by xiaochen
I asked for the average scores of 2017 engaa takers for anyone who is interested:
-------------------------------------------------------Mean - all applicants ---Mean - offer-holders

Maths &Physics (raw) ---------------------------------19.1 --------------------------22.6

Section 1 Ad Maths & Physics (raw) --------------11.0 --------------------------14.9

Section 1 Maths & Physics (reported) -------------5.3 ----------------------------6.9

Section 1 Ad Maths & Physics (reported) --------4.8 ----------------------------6.6

Section 2 Revised Mark ( /38) ----------------------25.0 ---------------------------30.1

Section 2 Revised Mark (%) ------------------------65.9% ------------------------79.2%

Thank you!!! And what's the difference between raw and reported?
The raw is the actual mark out of whatever the paper is out of. The reported mark for section 1 is the processed mark using the Rasch model they use.
The rasch model is out of 9.0 btw
Does anyone know how to practise for ENGAA? especially for section 2 as I've been getting 50% for 2017 past paper and i don't want to use anymore past papers as they're so finite :frown:(
The raw is the actual mark out of whatever the paper is out of. The reported mark for section 1 is the processed mark using the Rasch model they use.

omfg tysm i was so confused by the rasch model
50% is good but aim for 60%

What really helped me is to do lots of mental arithmetic where you can. And do those papers under strict timed conditions. At first it will feel very hard to work everything out very fast but I gradually improved. Don’t worry about using up past papers because it’s essential that you practise them and go over the questions you don’t know. Even I redid all of the papers 3/4 times now. Remember the new paper 2 is non calculator as well!

Also other useful things for preparation are BPhO papers, PAT, MAT, STEP, isaacphysics.com, I want to study engineering, professor povey’s perplexing problems (book), ultimate EngAA guide (book)

I’m also doing EngAA this year! Did EngAA last year as well... succumbed to the panic and stress of being overwhelmed by the sheer number of questions - the one thing you cannot do. I made the mistake of not practising with correct timings. There are 54 questions, but that doesn’t mean that you should attempt them all. Have a look at the 2017 statistics: the average offer holder scored 22/28 in section 1 and 14/26 in section 2. Since both sections have separate scores, it is important that you attempt both and spend no more than 40 mins on each. This means you have about 1.8 min per question in section 1 and 2.9 min per question in section 2 to achieve that of an average offer holder. If you to guess the rest, you’re bound to pick up a couple more marks.

Be calm and you won’t fail! And also don’t leave time for double checking cos you won’t have time for that!

(Also know all your standard formula and special angles back to front)

What really helped me is to do lots of mental arithmetic where you can. And do those papers under strict timed conditions. At first it will feel very hard to work everything out very fast but I gradually improved. Don’t worry about using up past papers because it’s essential that you practise them and go over the questions you don’t know. Even I redid all of the papers 3/4 times now. Remember the new paper 2 is non calculator as well!

Also other useful things for preparation are BPhO papers, PAT, MAT, STEP, isaacphysics.com, I want to study engineering, professor povey’s perplexing problems (book), ultimate EngAA guide (book)

I’m also doing EngAA this year! Did EngAA last year as well... succumbed to the panic and stress of being overwhelmed by the sheer number of questions - the one thing you cannot do. I made the mistake of not practising with correct timings. There are 54 questions, but that doesn’t mean that you should attempt them all. Have a look at the 2017 statistics: the average offer holder scored 22/28 in section 1 and 14/26 in section 2. Since both sections have separate scores, it is important that you attempt both and spend no more than 40 mins on each. This means you have about 1.8 min per question in section 1 and 2.9 min per question in section 2 to achieve that of an average offer holder. If you to guess the rest, you’re bound to pick up a couple more marks.

Be calm and you won’t fail! And also don’t leave time for double checking cos you won’t have time for that!

(Also know all your standard formula and special angles back to front)

Lifesaver!!! I need to get revising honestly 22/28 sounds so difficult, I'm honestly quite stressed rn, I just hope they consider the other pts of the application such as personal statements and gcses more :redface:
Reply 11
Lifesaver!!! I need to get revising honestly 22/28 sounds so difficult, I'm honestly quite stressed rn, I just hope they consider the other pts of the application such as personal statements and gcses more :redface:

Everything is considered holistically. Weaknesses in some areas can be offset by strengths elsewhere.

There's no ENGAA pass mark...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Everything is considered holistically. Weaknesses in some areas can be offset by strengths elsewhere.

There's no ENGAA pass mark...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh thanks, I hope there isn't:s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 13
ahh thanks, I hope there isn't:s-smilie::s-smilie:

There really isn't. Applicants have received offers with low ENGAA scores.
Reply 14

Remember the new paper 2 is non calculator as well!

I did the Section 1 Specimen Paper on their website and achieved 19/28 and 19/26 in 80 minutes which is just above average for offer holders based on last year's stats.

Then I completed Section 2 in just about 40 minutes without a calculator and achieved 21/32 which is less than the average for offer holders last year. There were a couple of questions with very awkward numbers which I couldn't answer in 2.9 minutes or less of which afterwards I managed to get right relatively quickly when with a calculator.

I wonder how they will adjust Section 2 accordingly with the loss of calculators. I hope they at least use slightly less awkward numbers?
Original post by JWW9999
I did the Section 1 Specimen Paper on their website and achieved 19/28 and 19/26 in 80 minutes which is just above average for offer holders based on last year's stats.

Then I completed Section 2 in just about 40 minutes without a calculator and achieved 21/32 which is less than the average for offer holders last year. There were a couple of questions with very awkward numbers which I couldn't answer in 2.9 minutes or less of which afterwards I managed to get right relatively quickly when with a calculator.

I wonder how they will adjust Section 2 accordingly with the loss of calculators. I hope they at least use slightly less awkward numbers?

Possibly! The questions won’t be connected together either in the new paper 2... dunno if it makes things easier or not.
Possibly! The questions won’t be connected together either in the new paper 2... dunno if it makes things easier or not.

the questions won't be connected like in 2016/17?
Reply 17

Yes that's right. It says on the Course Page for Engineering and in the updated specification for this year:

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/engineering_admissions_assessment_specification_2018.pdf

I read through the entire document and at the end there two new style sample questions for section 2 adapted from the specimen and last year. They are no longer joined however I have no idea about whether they'll use any awkward numbers or not in the real thing.

Yes there used to be 4 questions in paper 2, each with 4 to 5 parts. Now they will literally just be separate questions on anything. The only thing that stays the same is the number of marks and the fact you will still need to give reasoning for your answers.
Reply 19
Yes there used to be 4 questions in paper 2, each with 4 to 5 parts. Now they will literally just be separate questions on anything. The only thing that stays the same is the number of marks and the fact you will still need to give reasoning for your answers.

I believe that the reasoning bit has gone and that it is just multi-choice now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending