The Student Room Group

Going into Year 13, which subject should I drop?

I have decided to carry on with A level Law and Business but I am deciding between dropping either Edexcel Geography or AQA Accounting. I hope to go to university to study business or maybe law but do not know which would help me more.

Geography - Mock grade - B. I like physical geography, less so the topics on human. Unsure about the superpowers topic (may be a bit too real - I'm quite sensitive). Not sure about my aptitude as there are no past papers or any hint about what the synoptic paper might be like. Teacher is not great.

Accounting - Mock grade - A (but the teacher basically showed us the answers so some of the test was from memory). Useful skill for the degree possibly but would be taught it anyway within the degree. I have been able to do most of it but is confusing and quite boring. Teacher is not great.

If anyone has any advice or discussion to help me with my decision it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :smile: x

Scroll to see replies

I'd drop geography tbh but it is 100% your call and you must have a suspicion about the right choice for you
I personally would drop Accounting, as unis see them as very related subject. I even heard of a uni not wanting applicants who do 2 or more business related subject
Also they overlap very often.
But it's your choice.. leave the one the one that you enjoy most and feel like you could get a better grade in
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Lucky987
I personally would drop Accounting, as unis see them as very related subject. I even heard of a uni not wanting applicants who do 2 or more business related subject
Also they overlap very often.

Thank you very much!
Reply 4
Original post by EB12456780
I have decided to carry on with A level Law and Business but I am deciding between dropping either Edexcel Geography or AQA Accounting. I hope to go to university to study business or maybe law but do not know which would help me more.

Geography - Mock grade - B. I like physical geography, less so the topics on human. Unsure about the superpowers topic (may be a bit too real - I'm quite sensitive). Not sure about my aptitude as there are no past papers or any hint about what the synoptic paper might be like. Teacher is not great.

Accounting - Mock grade - A (but the teacher basically showed us the answers so some of the test was from memory). Useful skill for the degree possibly but would be taught it anyway within the degree. I have been able to do most of it but is confusing and quite boring. Teacher is not great.

If anyone has any advice or discussion to help me with my decision it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :smile: x

Please, I really need help as college starts again on Friday! Please :smile:
Please, I really need help as college starts again on Friday! Please :smile:

What subject do you enjoy studying more?

Since you only replied to the subject of someone telling you to drop Accounting I’d think that’s what you’d want to do then right?

Drop accounting in my opinion, but that’s just me
Reply 6
Original post by death07/08/17
I'd drop geography tbh but it is 100% your call and you must have a suspicion about the right choice for you

Why did you think that? Was it to do with the university course that I'd do or the other subjects? Thanks for replying though!
Why did you think that? Was it to do with the university course that I'd do or the other subjects? Thanks for replying though!

Honestly because the grade was lower. I know very little about the accountancy course although I had assumed that it fed into the business and law thing pretty well
Reply 8
Original post by Oneiropólos
What subject do you enjoy studying more?

Since you only replied to the subject of someone telling you to drop Accounting I’d think that’s what you’d want to do then right?

Drop accounting in my opinion, but that’s just me

I enjoy them in different ways but I do find accounting slightly boring as with human geography. I have replied to both comments but didn't before as I didn't see it before. Thanks for your reply!
Reply 9
Honestly because the grade was lower. I know very little about the accountancy course although I had assumed that it fed into the business and law thing pretty well

Thanks, that helps!

Based on your mock grades, I'd suggest dropping Geography. However, if you are being taught Accounting at degree level, it renders the A-Level skills worthless, although you'd have an advantage. I'd lean towards Geography due to the lack of resources and teacher not being the greatest. Is there a lot of resources available for Accounting?
Thanks, that helps!

Oh yeah, it was also that the teacher was an issue which could sacrifice your grade, even with your best intentions
Original post by AJ_3003
Based on your mock grades, I'd suggest dropping Geography. However, if you are being taught Accounting at degree level, it renders the A-Level skills worthless, although you'd have an advantage. I'd lean towards Geography due to the lack of resources and teacher not being the greatest. Is there a lot of resources available for Accounting?

They are about the same with hardly any resources at all, slightly more for accounting though!
Oh yeah, it was also that the teacher was an issue which could sacrifice your grade, even with your best intentions

Both teachers aren't great which makes it annoying.
They are about the same with hardly any resources at all, slightly more for accounting though!

Then I'd suggest dropping Geography, some at my school did it and was the only one in their class and they hated it. Although, they walked out with a B, with the lack of resources and time they spent having to find them online, their other grades suffered. I wouldn't want the same to happen to you, so I'd say drop Geography and keep Accounting as you seem more interested in it and willing to do it at University.
Original post by AJ_3003
Then I'd suggest dropping Geography, some at my school did it and was the only one in their class and they hated it. Although, they walked out with a B, with the lack of resources and time they spent having to find them online, their other grades suffered. I wouldn't want the same to happen to you, so I'd say drop Geography and keep Accounting as you seem more interested in it and willing to do it at University.

Thanks
I enjoy them in different ways but I do find accounting slightly boring as with human geography. I have replied to both comments but didn't before as I didn't see it before. Thanks for your reply!

Yes I’ve just noticed that, my bad.

Well it’s normal to find certain parts of subjects you enjoy being a bit dull, good luck with your choice, I’m sure you’ll pick correctly.
Original post by Oneiropólos
Yes I’ve just noticed that, my bad.

Well it’s normal to find certain parts of subjects you enjoy being a bit dull, good luck with your choice, I’m sure you’ll pick correctly.

Thanks!

I can only really talk about geography. Superpowers topic is probably one of the most interesting topics in geography edexcel. The physical stuff starts to get better. Generally for physical there is only 1 EQ on theory. The rest is human related. There's a lot of learning but the content isn't hard to understand.

There are more resources online due to first years exams finishing. Learn how to answer types of questions and study the mark scheme. See where you get the marks. Also there are a limited number of paper 3s (only 3 when I did the exam)so try to start looking at them at Christmas. I advise doing one at around Christmas time and saving the rest until Easter. With paper 3s look at how to answer questions, analyse where you get the marks (A01,A02,A03) and then come up with a structure to answer them. Then look over how you answer the questions a few days before the exam.

If it helps I have a list of questions that my teachers made to help us due to lack of resources with geography.

Then again I had 2 very good teachers so it's hard for me to judge how hard it would be.
(edited 5 years ago)
I would drop accounting if I was in that position.

Quick Reply

Latest